Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville -- "Mortal" -- 10/06/05

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
This show, however, seems to be in the same league as "Jack of all Trades", "Buffy", and "She Spies".
Old 10-09-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In response to your icon,

I have seen plenty of Buffy cuz the girlfriend likes it, but I can't stand it.

Everybody seems to have a snappy comeback, all the time. No one talks like that, except the Gilmore Girls. To paraphrase Harrison Ford, "You can type this s*it but you can't listen to it."

Why didn't you highlight She Spies? Whats wrong with She Spies?

cfg
Old 10-09-05, 11:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
In response to your icon,

I have seen plenty of Buffy cuz the girlfriend likes it, but I can't stand it.

Everybody seems to have a snappy comeback, all the time. No one talks like that, except the Gilmore Girls. To paraphrase Harrison Ford, "You can type this s*it but you can't listen to it."

Why didn't you highlight She Spies? Whats wrong with She Spies?

cfg
I like snappy comebacks. .

BTW, I didn't mean that there was anything wrong with She Spies or Jack of All Trades. I highlighted Buffy just because it was mentioned along with the other two series that are just nowhere near the same league, IMO. I have nothing against those other two, but IMO they are not in the same league and will never be ranked among the greats like Buffy (Where Buffy is consistently ranked on polls).

Honestly, for a little bit the style of dialogue of Buffy bothered me the same way as you at first when I was first being forced to watch the show from the beginning. All I can say is when watching from the beginning in order the style really grew on me and I began to "get it" (and like it). There's not really any other way to describe it, but the characters grew on me and some of them ended up becoming some of my all time favorites, eventually. The season stories are great with great focus, writing, amazing character development and depth.

If the characters on Buffy talked the way a majority of people in real life do I definitely wouldn't want to watch it though. I don't watch great fantasy tv for a mirror image of reality. If I did I'd just watch "The Real World" where I can watch the real life idiots socialize.

I've never seen "Gilmore Girls", so I can't comment on that.

Back On Topic:

I don't blame you for being unimpressed by the Smallville episode, but I will add that it should be watched from the beginning in order. There's a lot of backstory and these are characters that people have spent years watching now, so I'm sure a newbie has a different experience than someone who has stuck with it from the beginning.
Old 10-09-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kristen Miller (She Spies) is glorious. Is that show done with now? I hope to see her somewhere else other than 11pm non network local tv.
Old 10-10-05, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog

Speaking of twins, how about Chloe showing off hers.

all i got...
Old 10-11-05, 06:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
so who was the Lem character playing? anyone in the superhero universe? and where did all this Brainiac stuff get started, did i miss something?
Old 10-11-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
so who was the Lem character playing? anyone in the superhero universe? and where did all this Brainiac stuff get started, did i miss something?
Not sure on the first one, but there are plenty of superheroes and villians with electric based powers.

The Brainiac stuff hasn't really started yet. So far we've only gotten one small glimpse of the character - being played by James Marsters (of Buffy & Angel fame) - during the last few seconds of the season premeire. If you want more info, I suggest looking somewhere like Krypton Site - where you can get all the dish and spoilers you'd care to know about Smallville.
Old 10-11-05, 09:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Not sure on the first one, but there are plenty of superheroes and villians with electric based powers.

The Brainiac stuff hasn't really started yet. So far we've only gotten one small glimpse of the character - being played by James Marsters (of Buffy & Angel fame) - during the last few seconds of the season premeire. If you want more info, I suggest looking somewhere like Krypton Site - where you can get all the dish and spoilers you'd care to know about Smallville.
that was him? i thought he was a Kryptonian (didn't know Brainiac is from Krypton as well)
Old 10-12-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fooman
I agree, this episode was lame and I'm afraid it's going to be this way for the next few episodes before they go back to the storyline that we saw in the beginning of this season. Gawd oh why do they do this?

No more Lana please. Someone just kill her now.

Only thing good about this episode were the wonderful shots of Chloe. I want to squeeze them. However, she really needs to work on her arms. She's got big arms!! Kinda thick and chunky looking.

anyone got any tv shots of these?