Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

L&O: Special Victims Unit -- "Demons" -- 09.20.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-20-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
After 21 years, sex offender Ray Schenkel (guest-star Robert Patrick) is released from jail. Retired officer William Dorsey (guest-star Robert Walden) who initially locked him up, is convinced he'll offend again and begs Detectives Benson (Mariska Hargitay) and Stabler (Chris Meloni) to put him away for good. Stabler goes undercover to see if Dorsey is correct and in doing so befriends Schenkel, posing as a sex offender on parole and earning his trust. As the investigation unfolds, Stabler sets Schenkel up, but this time he doesn't take the bait. When Stabler's cover is blown, the investigation is not only compromised, but Stabler finds his life in danger. Dann Florek, Richard Belzer, Diane Neal, Ice-T, B.D. Wong, and Tamara Tunie also star.
Old 09-20-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So for those who do not know, in the upcoming weeks, I think November:

Spoiler:
Someone gets shot. Not sure who, but I think it might be Stabler. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the character.
Old 09-20-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was a good episode. Although it strayed a little from the Law and Order formula of you don't know much about the main characters its the cases that matter. I think everyone has seen this coming from Stabler for the life of the show, but it's still nice that they touch on it a little more. Once again great casting involved in this episode.
Old 09-21-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty good episode, though I can't say I enjoyed the topic of it. And I really have to think that what Elliot was doing for the whole episode was Entrapment.

(thanks Deftones, I did a search for SVU but didn't find anything)
Old 09-21-05, 02:22 AM

Spoiler:
Does this mean Elliott is a pedophile? I had noticed in previous episodes that he's especially angry, sometimes to the extent of being irrational, when dealing with crimes against kids, but I always chalked that up to his bad temper combined with the fact that he's got kids...
Old 09-21-05, 03:52 AM
Banned

Spoiler:
It's a good thing the commercial didn't show Stabler being taken hostage.

I was expecting them to find out in the end that the guy didn't rape the girl in the subway, meaning Stabler did push him over the edge. That certainly would've been a kicker.
Old 09-21-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Legolas
I was expecting them to find out in the end that the guy didn't rape the girl in the subway, meaning Stabler did push him over the edge. That certainly would've been a kicker.
I thought that they implied he did not rape until Elliot set him up with the van.
Old 09-21-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great episode tonight. I am wondering where they are going with Elliot as I don't want to see him take a criminal path, but they've been edging him darker and darker as of late (becoming more violent, his family leaving him, etc).

I was expecting a different twist for this episode. Initially I thought that the retired detective raped/violated the girl as a setup to get Robert Patrick back into prison since he had it in for him so much. I figured they'd tail Patrick for the first half of the episode til they miraculously found evidence of a different man. It would have easily fit since he was tailing Patrick and was already near the scene of the crime, but they left the plot point of who raped the girl open so it really could have been either guy.
Old 09-21-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I was expecting a different twist for this episode. Initially I thought that the retired detective raped/violated the girl as a setup to get Robert Patrick back into prison since he had it in for him so much.
I was thinkign this as well. Would have been a much more interesting twist coupled with Stabler pushing him towards his urge for young women again.
Old 09-21-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good episode, but I am already sick of Stabler's anger this season after one episode. I hope that he is revealed to be a pedophile or something this season just to add some spice to the show.
Old 09-22-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Patrick did a good job, but I really didn't care for the ambiguousness of this ep.
Old 09-22-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seems to me that they did everything possible to tempt that guy. It seemed like his parole had stuff built in to force him away from temptation, but then SVU came in and started parading young girls in front of him, getting him a van and a partner, Stabler talking to him about how it felt, etc etc.

I think a decent lawyer may be able to get the guy out of jail. Plus, isn't Stabler at least partially responsible for the abduction of that girl?

D
Old 09-22-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I thought that they went over the line with the temptations as well. I thought that Patrick did a good job.
Old 09-22-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Yeah, I thought that they went over the line with the temptations as well. I thought that Patrick did a good job.

I agree, but I think that is what made it an excellent episode.
Old 09-23-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeez. Who knew Robert Patrick was such a good sex offender?

Great season premiere. Still the best L&O.
Old 09-23-05, 02:42 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very good episode.

Meloni seemed like he was playing Chris Keller again during some of the scenes with Patrick's character, minus the making out with him.
Old 09-23-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No way they will make Elliot a sex offender, while I agree his anger is gettin' old, any drastic change like that would simply not work.
Old 09-23-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see him being a sex offender either. Maybe he was molested as a kid? It would help to explain his anger.

He definitely has a Keller vibe to him again in many of the shows. Where's the softie that played Julia Robert's fiance in Runaway Bride?
Old 09-23-05, 10:46 AM
Retired

Great premiere! No problem with the Stable-anger storyline.
Old 09-23-05, 12:26 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Derrich
I think a decent lawyer may be able to get the guy out of jail.
Assuming he survives. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy ended up dying in the hosptial from a crushed layrnx or something an episoded or two down the line. Would make for an interesting storyline....but I think the below is a more interesting possibility.

Originally Posted by Derrich
Plus, isn't Stabler at least partially responsible for the abduction of that girl?
Definitely. Patrick's character was at least making an effort to stay on the wagon until Elliot pushed and enticed him to far. That's the one reason I think that his charcter probably won't die. Will be a much more interesting future story line to have a trial and have the defense blame it on Elliot.
Old 09-23-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah - this was an episode where the Order half would have been very interesting to watch play out. Should have been a 2-parter.

I can't wait for the SVU/Flagship crossover next week.
Old 09-23-05, 12:38 PM

I thought it was rather boring, even par for the course on SVU. I've seen much better episodes, with better guest stars. It seems like they normally have great roles that give the guest star time to shine, but this seemed like a normal script where they threw in a big name guest star instead of an extra. This is usually on their top scripts of the year for Emmy nominations, I don't see it for this one.