TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Surface -- Series Premiere -- 09/19/05

Old 09-20-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A new mammalian species? Like I said, I'm a sucker for the sea creature bit. I'm thinking it's Godzilla. I missed the second half for HIMYM so I'll catch it again tonight on Sci-fi.
Old 09-20-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was mediocre. Funny to watch all these new shows jumping on the bandwagon after Lost was a hit and they are nowhere as good.
Characters that act dumb should be killed. For instance, the kid. Putting something in a fish tank that you know nothing about. What happened was a no brainer. The sister is your every day predictable bitch.
Let's hope Invasion has some staying power.
Old 09-20-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
I wasn't as impressed as some of you were. Actually liked it less than I did Threshold. Not giving up on it (especially since it is going to be played on Sci Fi all season).

Thanks for the Sci-Fi channel heads up.

I missed the pilot....
Old 09-20-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Was better than Threshold, IMO. Will tune in again next week before I decide its fate.
Agreed. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Stick with it through next week.

Kinda like The Abyss meets Gremlins meets E.T. meets Close Encounters meets a Peter Benchley novel.

Cliche as hell but it's still classy.
Old 09-20-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mixed feelings. I thought it was just littered with writting cliches.

Young rouge scientist that discovers something profound. Check.
Ignored by more experienced calm scientists. Check.
Young kids doing something stupid that also finds said discovery. Check.
Stupid hick/redneck encounters thing. Check.
Encounter
Spoiler:
leads to death of one of the rednecks.
Check.
Generic government conspiracy involving military. Check.
Mysterious happenings also demonstrated as global by having some nondescript non english speaking villagers also experience said happenings. Check.
Someone captures creature on video therefore showing the government with egg on their face. Tune in next week.

All in all this is the worst offender of a series that really needs to be a miniseries that all started with lost. At least lost has interesting character driven stories. Don't producers know that that is the reason everyone is so intrigued by lost. The semi scifi fantasy setting only has a small part in it's success.

Despite all this I still enjoyed it but cannot see this working as a series. I think viewership will be as high (or as low) as the premier was but drops off drastically once we get a good look at the "creature".

Production quality of shows is getting better and better though. While the writing isn't.
Old 09-20-05, 01:29 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
All in all this is the worst offender of a series that really needs to be a miniseries that all started with lost. At least lost has interesting character driven stories. Don't producers know that that is the reason everyone is so intrigued by lost. The semi scifi fantasy setting only has a small part in it's success.

Despite all this I still enjoyed it but cannot see this working as a series. I think viewership will be as high (or as low) as the premier was but drops off drastically once we get a good look at the "creature".

Production quality of shows is getting better and better though. While the writing isn't.
I was thinking miniseries as well while I was watching it. I don't know how they would make a full sason and beyond out of this.
Old 09-20-05, 02:21 PM

probally just last a season,I thought it was ok,for what it`s worth,my 2 sons ages 9 and 10 absolutely loved it and can`t wait for next weeks episode.so maybe it`s intended for children.just my two cents.
Old 09-20-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it...and didn't think the lead chick was ugly at all.
Old 09-20-05, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Characters that act dumb should be killed. For instance, the kid. Putting something in a fish tank that you know nothing about. What happened was a no brainer.
I have to disagree with this. If I found something weird in the ocean and put it in my fish tank, I would totally not expect it to grow into a land-walking sea monster thing.
Old 09-20-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I thought it was mediocre. Funny to watch all these new shows jumping on the bandwagon after Lost was a hit and they are nowhere as good.
Characters that act dumb should be killed. For instance, the kid. Putting something in a fish tank that you know nothing about. What happened was a no brainer. The sister is your every day predictable bitch.
Let's hope Invasion has some staying power.
For me was Lake Bell's kid. As soon as the kid opened his mouth, that was it for me. It was a real struggle trying to finish the whole episode and I won't bother with this show again.
Old 09-20-05, 11:06 PM

I liked it. 1st ep was better than Threshold. Looked good in HD too.
Old 09-21-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like the Tuesday repeats on Sci-Fi are done. I checked next week's listing, and it's not playing on that night. Hopefully it replays another time because I liked what I saw.
Old 09-21-05, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If there are no repeats I'm going to have a problem because like others I also enjoyed this show more than Threshold. Yes it was cheesy, but it kept my full attention. Actually the only part I didn't enjoy was the fact that they actually did come from space at the end. I would rather they were just an undiscovered or new creature.