Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

the 57th Annual Primetime Emmy award show thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: who do you hope wins for best drama and comedy?
Deadwood HBO
19.48%
Lost ABC
53.25%
Six Feet Under HBO
18.18%
24 FOX
14.29%
the West Wing NBC
1.30%
Arrested Development FOX
46.75%
Desperate Housewives ABC
10.39%
Everybody Loves Raymond CBS
9.09%
Scrubs NBC
20.78%
Will and Grace NBC
1.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

the 57th Annual Primetime Emmy award show thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
The whole TV thme song voting thing? Lame.
I love Kristen Bell in Veronica Mars but her TV theme song performance at the Emmy was just cringe worthy. I didn't bother watching the other people perform.
Old 09-19-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Alda ripping up his speech was "a bit"...he wasn't seriously upset (or, at least, he wasn't caught on camera being upset).

My favorite shot was them cutting to Shatner after Green Acres won favorite song.

Actually, I take that back...my favorite shot was Marg Helgenberger dancing during the opening act.

Ellen was ill-prepared last night. Conan and Jon Stewart got the biggest laughs...maybe one of them will get to host next year. Heck, Conan is so good in front of a crowd, they ought to ask him to host the OSCARS.
Old 09-19-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Conan hosted the Emmys a few years ago. He did a wonderful job at it. Expect him to do these gigs more and more when he takes over for Leno in a few years. Right now, being on the East Coast, it's too hard for him to prepare for the show and do his own show.
Old 09-19-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Alda ripping up his speech was "a bit"...he wasn't seriously upset (or, at least, he wasn't caught on camera being upset).

My favorite shot was them cutting to Shatner after Green Acres won favorite song.

Yep - a good bit from Alda. Good to see folks not take it so seriously.

That cut to Shatner was great. Like I said before - he made the night.
Old 09-19-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible examples:

Glenn Close and Jennifer Garner split votes for Best Actress: Patricia Arquette wins
It was definitely between Close and Hargitay (with her bait tape). Garner submitted a GARBAGE tape and Conroy was barely in hers (although she had dynamite scenes).

I read that Arquette had a huge Emmy campaign to get nommed and then whored herself to EVERY entertainment magazine to talk about the show. She then told a magazine/article that she didn't want to win because "she didn't want to forget anybody in her speech". Total bullshit artist.

Last edited by conscience; 09-19-05 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not being in the states, i missed this. anybody happen to upload the bit Jon Stewart did? i read something to the tune of him being the best thing on the show and upstaging an already good Ellen D..

so anybody upload that bit? or know where i can see it?
Old 09-19-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised people are complaining about James Spader. Boston Legal is way better than Deadwood.

I would have rather seen Jeremy Piven win over Brad Garrett. I hope these type of things do not help him in getting a spin off for next season.

Biggest surprise to me was Felicity Huffman winning. I am glad Marcia Cross did not win, I can't stand her.

I figured Raymond would win best comedy.
Old 09-19-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Conan hosted the Emmys a few years ago. He did a wonderful job at it. Expect him to do these gigs more and more when he takes over for Leno in a few years. Right now, being on the East Coast, it's too hard for him to prepare for the show and do his own show.
I would expect him to do it not more frequently than every fourth year, since it rotates between the four networks and I doubt the other nets really want to showcase NBC's brightest star.
Old 09-19-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Whoa! Sela!
Best one of the night! She looked perfect.
It was a pretty good night for House overall. I was glad to see them get some recognition, especially for that one episode. Blythe Danner winning for Huff was another one I was pleasantly surprised to see.

My biggest disappointment was Jeremy Piven losing to Brad Garrett. I like Brad Garrett a lot, but I don't think he deserves 3 Emmy awards for Everybody Loves Raymond. That's just ridiculous. I was also disappointed that Oliver Platt lost to Shatner, but I've only watched Boston Legal once.

Oh, and I don't know if she's ever won for playing the grandmother on Malcolm in the Middle, but if she hasn't then Cloris Leachman got jobbed.
Old 09-19-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nightwing82

I am glad Marcia Cross did not win, I can't stand her.
What's WRONG with you?

I almost cried when Stewart paid tribute to Letterman, saying he was to people his age what Carson was to Letterman.

Wow, huge compliment and sometimes, although I know Conan and Jon already feel that way, you realize that they can't really say it.

Conan has obligations to NBC and Stewart has his own show which competes with Dave.

But he picked a great moment to salute Dave.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-19-05 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker
I would expect him to do it not more frequently than every fourth year, since it rotates between the four networks and I doubt the other nets really want to showcase NBC's brightest star.
Doing a one off and doing it every 4 years is certainly more frequently.

I know he'll do it more frequently once he takes over Leno's job. He was born to do it.
Old 09-19-05, 06:43 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Everybody Loves Raymond is hugely overated. Brad Garrett beats out Piven, ELR beats out Arrested Development.
Old 09-19-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwing82
I'm surprised people are complaining about James Spader. Boston Legal is way better than Deadwood.
F'ing hooplehead!
Old 09-19-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk God

F'ing hooplehead!
Old 09-19-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Roto
Oh, and I don't know if she's ever won for playing the grandmother on Malcolm in the Middle, but if she hasn't then Cloris Leachman got jobbed.
A quick check at IMDB confirms you can sleep at night. She won the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series Emmy in 2002, and has been nominated every year since.
Old 09-19-05, 10:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Quick James Spader question - Is he married still? Though he divorced a while back. If so, who was the woman he was winking at and talking to? GF? She looked familiar, but dont know from where. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.