The Showbiz Show with David Spade

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-16-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else see this?

Not surprisingly it was a lot like a 30 minute (with commercials) Hollywood Minute/Spade on America.

Since I always loved Hollywood Minute/Spade on America it is also not surprising that I found the show hilarious.

Some lines from the show:

Paris Hilton was so upset over a new bumper sticker that she bought every sticker in the store before anyone else could get one. She was even more upset when she learned about the invention of the printing press, and the concept of mass production. Meanwhile on the set of her new movie Paris is having trouble remembering her lines. According to reports, producers are now looking for someone to f**k her brains back in.

And during a bit called "The Nerd Perspective with Brian Posehn" (which Brian had previously been told was going to be called Street Beat):

(Speaking of how crappy MTV has become) MTV used to expose us to new bands ignored by the music industry. Now they are the music industry. And they're giving awards to he very garbage they churn out. Kudos MTV! You found a way to simultaneously suck your own d*ck while regurgitating your own crap! At least we have MTV2. They still play cool videos, right? Then why do I get this 24/7? (Shows a clip from "The Andy Milonaukis Show) A retarded midget dancing like a queer -- which I haven't seen since the Just Shoot Me wrap party. (David Spade: Are you calling me a retarded midget?) No, you just dance like a queer. (Dances like a queer to show David what he looked like) (David Spade: OK, all right, that's enough.)
Old 09-16-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shucks I missed it, but I'm assuming it will be repeated. I like Spade a lot.
Old 09-16-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
... but I'm assuming it will be repeated...
Yeah, there are quite a few repeat airings this coming week. Check it out.
Old 09-16-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This would be great as a once a week feature on The Daily Show, but there's not enough there to fill out a 30 minute show.
Old 09-16-05, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a very solid episode. The proof will be if they can carry it for a full season though.
Old 09-16-05, 09:43 AM

It wasn't great. They still seem to be getting their footing. I liked the trailer for The Man though.
Old 09-16-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was a pretty good show...it does need a little something, what I am not sure...but it is an expanded Hollywood Minute, which I was expecting. A little better than the last Norm Macdonald show Comedy Central had on!
Old 09-16-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show wasn't what I thought it was going to be. By the ads I thought it was going to be a show about the in's and out's of hollywood but done humorously. Not a skit/comedy routine show. It was pretty funny though.
Old 09-16-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not a David Spade fan, but based on those 2 excerpts I'll check the show out.
Old 09-16-05, 02:53 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it pretty much sucked, but I know it'll get better. They really need to drop that laugh track though. I love Posehn, but he did a horrible job last night. He was even talking about a subject matter he feels strongly about and he still didn't manage to say anything interesting or funny.
Old 09-17-05, 11:50 PM

I thought it was ok- I will set it up on a weekly DVR schedule for now and see how it goes over the next few weeks

Last edited by brtcmfn; 09-18-05 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-18-05, 12:38 AM
Suspended

Yeah, the laugh track sucked and the jokes are slight, but with a little improvement this could easily become one of the best shows on Comedy Central.
Old 09-18-05, 01:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Liked
The Hollywood Minute stuff
The re-edit of the trailer for The Man

Mixed
The Nerd Perspective with Brian Posehn (Liked the idea behind it and MTV is a good target, but it just didn't bring the funny)

Didn't like
The Rolling Stones bit (was like a Leno bit trying to be a Daily Show bit)

Hated
The Britney hospital bit with the feet (was just like a bad Leno bit, period)
Old 09-24-05, 04:27 PM
Suspended

Yeah, this week's episode was a lot funnier.

This show's future looks bright, indeed.

Long live Spade!
Old 09-24-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sad I don't see any "I liked it better the first time, when it was called..." digs here.
Old 09-24-05, 07:58 PM

For those who didn't really like the first episode (like me), the second show is a lot funnier.
Old 11-19-05, 10:05 AM
Banned

I hope I'm not the only one still watching this show. It has improved a great deal IMO and I've been laughing almost non-stop through the last few episodes. The material seems so easy to write after you hear it, but that doesn't make it any less funny.
Old 11-19-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch it every week, and I enjoy the hell out of it. It makes me laugh, so what more can I ask?
Old 11-19-05, 05:49 PM
Banned

From the 11/10/05 Episode:

"Beloved teen idol Ashley Simpson was caught on tape during a drunken rampage at a local McDonalds. Despite her hostile behavior, McDonalds officials say they will still consider her application."

"Brown Bunny actor and director Vincent Gallo is trying to sell his own sperm on the internet. However bargain seekers are advised to pass up on the one million dollar price tag and just steal ChloŽ Sevigny's toothbrush."

Old 11-20-05, 09:28 PM
Banned

I refuse to let this thread die!

From the 11/17/05 Episode:

"Well, the new 50 Cent movie 'Get Rich, or Die Tryin' has been pulled from a Pennsylvania theatre where a man was fatally shot....so after one week in theatres, it's [shows scoreboard]Get Rich - 0, Die Tryin' - 1."
Old 11-20-05, 11:42 PM

This weeks episode was by far the best... very funny stuff. How they can sit with the actors at the Just Friends press junket and the actors get genuinely pissed taking themselves very seriously... when he bent over to kiss Amy Smart I thought I was gonna fall on the floor when she said "GET OFF OF ME" in the stuck up kinda way...

Also,

Called Amy Smart... Reese Witherspoon
Confused "Just Friends" with "Shallow Hal"
Old 11-21-05, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by theedge
How they can sit with the actors at the Just Friends press junket and the actors get genuinely pissed taking themselves very seriously...
Isn't that all staged though? I figured the actors were in on the joke. It sure seemed like it in an earlier episode when that same guy "interviewed" Val Kilmer and Robert Downey, Jr. They were both smirking and acting fake annoyed through the whole thing. It was still pretty funny though.
Old 11-21-05, 11:38 PM

It seemed like Kilmer and Downey were in on it a bit.. but either Amy Smart and that other guy are very good actors, or they were not in that, or so it seemed...
Old 11-22-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
At those movie press junkets, the talent is just supposed to sit there and politely answer whatever questions the journalists ask.

You might think that the actors would get really upset when someone comes in and start saying ridiculous things, but they are only exposed to the questioners for a few minutes, and usually they are just getting asked the same questions over and over and over, so they are most likely amused when something odd happens, as long as the interviewer is just clueless and not insulting.

btw-- Martin Short's Jiminy Glick was just a "turned up to 11" version of some of the real clueless interviewers he and other celebs has faced during junkets.
Old 11-22-05, 12:17 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The junket bits are staged.

Gimme a break. If a reporter started to pull any weirdness, they would be ejected right away.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.