Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Guide Fall Preview issue now on stands

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-11-05, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked this up yesterday, in case anyone else wanted to know it's out this week. They have a good rundown of all the new shows, and grids for every night.

Here are the shows they listed as their "Favorites":

Kitchen Confidential
How I Met Your Mother
Prison Break
Close to Home
Bones
My Name is Earl
Commander in Chief
Supernatural
Invasion **(Best New Drama)
Everybody Hates Chris **(Best New Comedy)
Reunion
Threshold
Old 09-11-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The fact that Reunion is listed there is patently absurd. Based on that criteria alone, the list looses credibility. Still, I've seen almost all of these and can't argue with a couple of there choices, in particular, Kitchen Confidential, which I feel has a fantastic pilot episode.

Last edited by meritocracy; 09-11-05 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-11-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Prison Break & Reunion both get a from me.
Old 09-11-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to see someone's enjoying Reunion. Aside from the eye-candy, and it being nice to see Keith from SFU get a new gig, I thought it was wretched.
Old 09-11-05, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by meritocracy
The fact that Reunion is listed there is patently absurd. Based on that criteria alone, the list looses credibility.
I kind of wondered about that also. But in the blurb about the show, they call it a "guilty pleasure" and says that the narrative hook "reinvigorates the young-adult soap opera". So it sounds like they are saying it's good for what it is.

I ddn't think the first episode was that great, either. But the premise of the show is interesting and I think it is fluffy enough to watch as cheesy fun.
Old 09-11-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm surprised that they named Invasion as the best new drama. All other fall previews articles that I have seen (including the Canadian version of TV Guide) has Threshold as being a better show than Invasion. I guess we'll wait and see.
Old 09-11-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lorenzo, I'd agree with that. I posted the same opinion in the Surface/Fathom thread. I've seen all the new sci-fi genre related pilot's, and felt Threshold easily stood out as the best among them. The great cast certainly doesn't hurt it either.
Old 09-11-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear good things about Threshold.

Good to see The War At Home wasn't on that list - I just watched it and it sucked.
Old 09-11-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Come next month the pocket-sized T.V. Guide we all know and love will be but a fading memory when it makes it fullsize debut and completely changes its format.

RIP convient-sized TV Guide. You will always be in our memories.
Old 09-12-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found this Fall Season Preview to be really disappointing. Most years this issue is at least twice the size and packed with much more information.
Old 09-12-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I found this Fall Season Preview to be really disappointing. Most years this issue is at least twice the size and packed with much more information.
Same here, getting the Fall Preview edition and enjoying and referencing it for weeks has been a 2 decade long tradition in this family. I get it free for buying Everybody Loves Raymond, so I thought that I received a watered-down version, but it's the same at the supermarkets (only a different cover that I can gather).

But, back on topic, I'm going to check out all of their 'Favorites' and weigh in. They all sound great (Reunion is waiting on me to find time to watch it - on my DVR )
Old 09-12-05, 09:50 AM

I like EW's fall TV preview issue better, but I wish they would actually cover shows that aren't on the 6 networks. They completely ignore HBO, FX, etc.

TV Guide mentioned a few things like specials and syndication, but their coverage seemed weak also.
Old 09-12-05, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Prison Break & Reunion both get a from me.
yup me too
Old 09-12-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been trying to decide which show to watch: Kitchen Confidential or How I Met Your Mother (cuz I ain't killing myself to watch both). I keep leaning towards KC as it has both Alias and Buffy alums, whereas HIMYM only has a Buffy alum (never much cared for Doogie).
Old 09-12-05, 05:06 PM

I am recording KC on my main DirecTivo unit as it is paired with Arrested Develpment, which my husband also watches with me.

I am recording How I Met Your Mother on one of the other Tivo's. That is one of the time slots I have more than 2 shows airing at the same time so all the extra tuners will help. (I also watch Wife Swap and am interested in Surface).

We just set up our basement workout room, so that will be a good excuse to workout and watch these extra shows.

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 are going to be crazy.