Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What shows are in their make-it or break-it season for you.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What shows are in their make-it or break-it season for you.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Without a doubt, The O.C. is at the top of the list. The 1st season was a brilliant satire of the teen soap drama. The 2nd season, the show actually tried to be a teen soap drama, and not a very good one. They completely ruined Seth's character. If I want a teen soap, I have OTH or else bring back life as we know it.
I completely agree. I had planned to not even bother watching season 3 until the last 2 episodes of season 2 became interesting......
so now i am suckered into giving season 3 a chance....
Old 09-02-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
Do any of the people you know get HBO? Lost doesn't require nearly the amount of patience most 5-star HBO shows do, and many people love it for that. I'm glad they aren't throwing answers about, and are just letting the story unfold at its own pace.
Amen to all of that!

people complaining about LOST this early are obvioulsy watching the show for the wrong reasons.......or have no patience what-so-ever and should stick to television shows that are more episodic in nature.
Old 09-02-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well my favorite show in recent yrs was Carnivale which was not a speedy show. but it did move along as the show progressed. I have no problems with a slow moving show but Lost just seems to be in stand still mode. hell, if they just gave a few answers that would be better than nothing.

I just love the fact that people used to complain like crazy about The X-Files and the lack of answers but love the fact that Lost could throw out millions of questions without a single answer and applaud it.
Old 09-02-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

24 - I thought last season was the best season. So, I'll still watch this.

Smallville - Guess I'll stick with this till the end. Last season was pretty much more teasing.
Old 09-03-05, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
That 70's Show.

They are losing Eric & Kelso this season, and I'm not very optimistic that the show will work without them.
Old 09-03-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll agree with the OC taking a dip in the quality for season 2, but it wasn't "crap". It was still watchable and entertaining. I liked Seth in it actually, I felt his progession was natural. He goes from geek to having nailed the hottest girl in school. Of course he becomes so self-obsessed.

With that said it definitely needs to improve or else I won't bother with the 4th season.
Old 09-03-05, 02:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I just love the fact that people used to complain like crazy about The X-Files and the lack of answers but love the fact that Lost could throw out millions of questions without a single answer and applaud it.
In all fairness, most people didn't really start complaining about X-Files until it got to season 5 or so and there still weren't any real answers.
Old 09-03-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
In all fairness, most people didn't really start complaining about X-Files until it got to season 5 or so and there still weren't any real answers.
and I didn't get irritated until about season 7 when the show started to contradict itself......
Old 09-04-05, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks

People didnt freak out about Xfiles till around the 5th season....and even though it declined..many still stuck around till mulder left. (end of season 7)
Old 09-04-05, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Las Vegas
I agree.

Although this show doesn't have complex storylines or characters, it was a guilty pleasure of mine. Last season however, was less enjoyable than the first.
Old 09-04-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
People didnt freak out about Xfiles till around the 5th season....and even though it declined..many still stuck around till mulder left. (end of season 7)
Yeah the whole Lost bit is a very funny when comparing it to the X files. I would even say it wasn't until AFTER season 5 that people started to complain. The whole promising answers in the movie, bit, which they failed to do. I think that is when people started getting pissed and jumping ship. People waited patiently through five whole seasons of questions and intrigue for answers that never came. And people bitch about one season of Lost.
Old 09-04-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah the whole Lost bit is a very funny when comparing it to the X files. I would even say it wasn't until AFTER season 5 that people started to complain. The whole promising answers in the movie, bit, which they failed to do. I think that is when people started getting pissed and jumping ship. People waited patiently through five whole seasons of questions and intrigue for answers that never came. And people bitch about one season of Lost.

Agreed, it was after the movie that people started to go really nuts..

Most people jumped in season 6.
Old 09-04-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that the complaining about Lost is that we’re afraid it will turn into another X Files. Or, god forbid, another ALIAS a show that started as a cool spy show with a hot chick now has zombies from land of the dead running around. The way things are going on that show is it will open the next season with Sid abducted and impregnated by aliens and Vaughn died in the crash but comes back as another zombie. I fear this is the future of Lost too, very sad.
Old 09-04-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Sadly, once I watch a show I pretty much continue watching it. Having a Tivo makes that possible.
Old 09-04-05, 03:36 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Actaully... none of them.

None of the new shows interest me this season so there's no need to trim my schedule this Fall.

But due to my extreme distaste for Lara Flynn Boyle, I may have to drop Vegas if she makes it suck.
Old 09-04-05, 04:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Lost

Time to answer some questions, bitches!
Old 09-04-05, 08:03 PM

lost
Old 09-04-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

for me, it's gonna have to be alias and the west wing although i think both shows are in their final seasons. alias started out really slow last year but picked up towards the end although i don't know if it's going to recover this year. it ended on a great cliffhanger but from what i have heard i don't know if this year will play out well at all.

as for the west wing, i want it to go out as classy as it started.
Old 09-05-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazwolff
god forbid, another ALIAS a show that started as a cool spy show with a hot chick now has zombies from land of the dead running around. The way things are going on that show is it will open the next season with Sid abducted and impregnated by aliens and Vaughn died in the crash but comes back as another zombie. I fear this is the future of Lost too, very sad.
Good to know. I caught the first season of Alias on DVD and loved it. You sir have just saved me a lot of time. When exactly does it jump the shark?
Old 09-05-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin75
for me, it's gonna have to be alias and the west wing although i think both shows are in their final seasons. alias started out really slow last year but picked up towards the end although i don't know if it's going to recover this year. it ended on a great cliffhanger but from what i have heard i don't know if this year will play out well at all.

as for the west wing, i want it to go out as classy as it started.
Ditto on both shows. West Wing started to grow on me towrads the end so we'll see what the writers have in mind for a fitting end to the series.
Old 09-05-05, 12:56 PM
Retired

Lost: Loved most of the season, but if they don't start resolving major plot points and introducing new ones I'm done. I don't want the X-files all over again. And I don't want the same story lines drawn out and resolved years down the road. The writers need to have the imagination to come up with new mysteries to keep people watching, not draw out the sameones forever.

Law & Order: I love SVU, but the original lost some steam without Orback and with Martin gone the last few episodes.
Old 09-06-05, 10:01 AM

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm positive it's over for "Alias". Season 3 was a soap opera, but I tried to hang on during season 4 after all the JJ comments about bringing the show back to the first 2 season. IMO, I think he only had a few great ideas, and fell into the X-Files trap of building up a bunch of cool mysteries (Rambaldi anyone?) and storylines with no set ending in-sight. What you end up with is suspense sustained for 4 plus years, not to mention a big-ole-mess!!! That's not a great experience JJ. How about you finish what you started, THEN reset the show with a new storyline.

Let's just hope we get some closure this season. As for an earlier comment about when the show jumped the shark.....I'm trying to remember an exact episode, but due to just how damn confusing things have gotten, you almost just want to point your finger at the entire 3rd season for completely screwing us over as viewers. Rather than answering any questions as to what has been going on, the show becomes more about "what happened to Sydney for the past 2 years", then they answer it quite simply half-way through the season. Fine, except the season trudges on with more and more secret organizations (The Covenant, The Trust, Black Ops, The FBI, SD6, and so on and so on). By the time Syd's sister comes into play, I'm pissed. But as we go through season 3 and it's un-involving cliff-hanger (compared to 1 & 2 anyway), I just don't buy this whole sisterly-love thing and how they will do anything for each other. Sisters, yes....but her devotion just is way over the top.

At least season 4 made some attempts, especially at the last episode with Vaughn's revelation (which isn't too far-fetched if you watched all of season 4 to see some of the things he was willing to do). With Garner pregnant, the show an entire mess, even for those who have been with it since the beginning, and a Thursday 8pm timeslot puts this show, which couldn't hack it with a dream lead-in ("Lost", in it's first hot season), up against "Survivor", "The OC" and "Joey"....I don't think it's going to make it. Oh, and thanks ABC for the huge spoiler in the synopsis on your website!!!
Old 09-06-05, 10:30 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
X-files had the advantage of having a lot (probably a majority) of episodes being self contained stories that were resolved. Lost doesn't have that going for it, unless you count the flash back portions and even those are rarely wrapped up.
Old 09-06-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smallville. Aside from the finale, I stopped watching the show last season after the episode where all the chicks became witches. I really shouldn't give the show a second chance after dreck like that, but we'll see. Actually, Smallville is best when you watch the first and last episode of each season. Those seem to be the only episodes worth watching.
Old 09-06-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Good to know. I caught the first season of Alias on DVD and loved it. You sir have just saved me a lot of time. When exactly does it jump the shark?
depends who you ask, some say after the "reboot" episode, some say as soon as season 3 started, some say (me) that its been good all the way through.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.