TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Is the Daily Show getting lame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is the Daily Show getting lame?

Originally Posted by musick
BRAVO to Jon Stewart for not letting up and completly embarassing so called news organizations
Yawn. Give me an editing room, a staff, and an infinite supply of tapes and I could embarrass anyone too.

The show's sucked since Craigers left. It used to be a straight-face parody of a news show. Now it's a late night talk show where the host talks about news.
Old 03-14-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I haven't trusted Cramer since he bumped Bluth Company stock up to "Don't Buy."
Old 03-14-09, 09:06 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Yawn. Give me an editing room, a staff, and an infinite supply of tapes and I could embarrass anyone too.

The show's sucked since Craigers left. It used to be a straight-face parody of a news show. Now it's a late night talk show where the host talks about news.
You do realize Kilborn left a decade ago. I barely even remember his stint. Jon Stewart is doing a great job.
Old 03-14-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I stopped watching Jon Stewart when he got all serious. His battle with Jim Cramer has summed it up perfectly why I haven't watched for years. When I watch Late-Night TV, I want to get away with the seriousness of what is going on in the world, and just want to laugh for a half hour/hour show. Stewart has gotten political in a quasi-serious way, and that is why he is lame these days, as he is trying to be funny, yet push his political agenda, and that is such a turn-off.

In the old days, Late Night made fun of ALL politicans and you really didn't know where their political beliefs were, now they all are pushing their candidates, and if I want to see serious political discussions, I will watch Meet the Press and Face the Nation.

Last edited by mcnabb; 03-14-09 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-14-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara

I think preferring Craig Kilborn over Jon Stewart as The Daily Show host is about the same as preferring the stand-up comedy of Carrot Top over Lenny Bruce. And I was a huge fan of Kilborn when he was on the show, but Stewart has far surpassed him in so many ways that I think it's the best host change of any show ever! (Well, except maybe for Johnny Carson taking over The Tonight Show, but I'm not old enough to have been around for the pre-Carson days of that show).

(However, I do wish that TheDailyShow.com would embrace the show's entire history and include the old Craig Kilborn episodes and not just start with the Jon Stewart episodes.)
Old 03-14-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I stopped watching Jon Stewart when he got all serious. His battle with Jim Cramer has summed it up perfectly why I haven't watched for years. When I watch Late-Night TV, I want to get away with the seriousness of what is going on in the world, and just want to laugh for a half hour/hour show. Stewart has gotten political in a quasi-serious way, and that is why he is lame these days, as he is trying to be funny, yet push his political agenda, and that is such a turn-off.

In the old days, Late Night made fun of ALL politicans and you really didn't know where their political beliefs were, now they all are pushing their candidates, and if I want to see serious political discussions, I will watch Meet the Press and Face the Nation.
That you clearly don't watch the show and hence don't know what you're talking about is very apparent from what you wrote above. (For example, the Jim Cramer interview was an exception, not the rule.)

And there's hours and hours of light comedy entertainment on late night TV (The Tonight Show, Late Night, The Late Show, etc., etc.) for someone who doesn't want political satire, so you have plenty of other shows to watch. While those of us that do want political satire of the news media have a single 30-minute show for that, so why wish it was like all the rest?
Old 03-14-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
The public "Jim Cramer" as seen on Mad Money didn't deserve that hotseat, but those 2006 clips of the real "Jim Cramer" boasting about all of those market manipulating shenanigans completely deserved that treatment (and worse).
Except BOTH "Jim Cramer"s kept flapping their gumbs in response to Stewart's jabs. Truth is Stewart had a point (which was why it was so funny!), and Cramer should have just ignored it. Now he has some humble pie to eat. He should have known there was no way to win that battle especially not in that venue.
Old 03-14-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Craigers' show was great but Stewart's is great in it's own way. I do miss the actual corespondent filings with out-of-the-mainstream people, things like the killer iguana bit, which has been done away with recently. The Homo-meter was hilarious though.

It's a bit why I'm not a fan of Colbert because it's the two shows run together with their opinion style.
Old 03-14-09, 05:46 PM

Stopped watching some time ago.
Old 03-14-09, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Ok I used to LOVE the Daily Show a lot. Fake news, making fun of everyone who does something stupid.

Lately its so much more a liberal one sided slam fest. Every liberal is right, every righty is wrong. Cant they bring back the phony human interest stories and making fun of everyone who makes an ass of themselves.

I dont have much stomach for one-sided politics ranting (I dont really have a 'side') and it seems the only people who will be finding TDS funny nowadays are lefties.

Will things go back to normal when they get a demo in the white house?
Exactly right.

You can tell that the liberal 'slams' are not really all that bad...they seem to be just making fun. But the way they hit up the Republicans is intentionally vindictive and hurtful. Look at how Jon handled Cramer. That's about how he handles Republican humor, whereas how Jon handles his coworkers (Fellow 'reporters') and his digs towards them, that's how he makes fun of liberal individuals/ideas.

So, yeah, it's very, very difficult to watch nowadays. In college (2000), I could watch, and while it was still difficult to stomach, with the other 'reporters', it was a lot more even-handed. In the days post 9-11 and in the age of Bush Bashing and Obama Deification/Defecation, there is an environment where the media can pretty much get away with (political) murder.

Look at the facts: For all they decry as the political polarization of the Conservatives, they themselves are far more guilty of it. Shit, I hardly even talk about politics anymore. It's become a pecking party of the highest order where even the association causes a feeding frenzy. Even here people come out to spew their venom with quotes snapped off like, "No, it's not the Daily Show that's become lame, only some of their viewers." Nice political jab, if by nice you mean stupid as fuck.

You think everything your party is doing is perfect? You think any of this spending bullshit is helping ANYTHING? Congratulations. I think differently, and I believe that near-term and far future history will easily prove me right.

Everything is cyclic. The Arabs have an expression, "A bird, no matter how high it flies, must come down." See you on the way down.
Old 03-14-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Not the biggest Cramer fan, but he was one of the few guys urging people to get out of the market. "Whatever money you may need for the next five years, please take it out of the stock market right now, this week." Cramer said that October 6 when DOW was over 10,000 (it has dropped 35% since).
Old 03-15-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Exactly right.

You can tell that the liberal 'slams' are not really all that bad...they seem to be just making fun. But the way they hit up the Republicans is intentionally vindictive and hurtful. Look at how Jon handled Cramer. That's about how he handles Republican humor, whereas how Jon handles his coworkers (Fellow 'reporters') and his digs towards them, that's how he makes fun of liberal individuals/ideas.

So, yeah, it's very, very difficult to watch nowadays. In college (2000), I could watch, and while it was still difficult to stomach, with the other 'reporters', it was a lot more even-handed. In the days post 9-11 and in the age of Bush Bashing and Obama Deification/Defecation, there is an environment where the media can pretty much get away with (political) murder.

Look at the facts: For all they decry as the political polarization of the Conservatives, they themselves are far more guilty of it. Shit, I hardly even talk about politics anymore. It's become a pecking party of the highest order where even the association causes a feeding frenzy. Even here people come out to spew their venom with quotes snapped off like, "No, it's not the Daily Show that's become lame, only some of their viewers." Nice political jab, if by nice you mean stupid as fuck.

You think everything your party is doing is perfect? You think any of this spending bullshit is helping ANYTHING? Congratulations. I think differently, and I believe that near-term and far future history will easily prove me right.

Everything is cyclic. The Arabs have an expression, "A bird, no matter how high it flies, must come down." See you on the way down.
Isn't "spewing venom" exactly what you're doing?
Old 03-15-09, 05:41 AM

I'm not opposed to being partisan. I'm opposed to doing so while claiming you're not.

What about my post is so venomous, and the daily Daily Show/liberal post isn't?

Everything on television is now biased, so where do you go for the 'real', or even fictional, news?
Old 03-15-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm not opposed to being partisan. I'm opposed to doing so while claiming you're not.
100% agree.

This is why I stopped watching Letterman, Maher, and Stewart, as they are just a shill for the democratic party anymore. It was never like that, as sure they always leaned to the left, but it was never this partisan like it was last election, and honestly these guys just aren't funny anymore, because of their partisanship-stripes are showing right through their humor.

I love a political joke on ALL politicans, but Jon Stewart acts differently towards republicans then he does with dems, same with Maher and Letterman, and it is said cause they are all funny and talented guys, and I think they are losing fans like myself because I don't want to see another hour of partisan political discussion at 11:30, when I can that all day on talk radio, all night on primetime on Fox & MSNBC, and all Sunday morning on the talk shows.
Old 03-15-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

You don't watch The Daily Show enough to know that Jon Stewart doesn't claim that he isn't biased.
Old 03-15-09, 05:28 PM
Banned

It's been lame since early this decade. I'm certainly not a Republican apologist, but the show just lost all it's appeal to me when it became more about a political soap box than about actual humor. It's not that I can't watch something else (believe me, I do), I'm just saying I liked it better before the change.

Of course the liberal bandwaggon is going to eat it up and defend it as some sort of relevant, smart TV show. It's called "preaching to the choir".
Old 03-15-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
It's been lame ever since Craig Kilborn left.
I hate how witty Stewart thinks he is. I can't stand listening to him.
Old 03-15-09, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You don't watch The Daily Show enough to know that Jon Stewart doesn't claim that he isn't biased.
Wow, thanks for your self-professed psychic vision.

You have no clue who I am. Did you fail to read the part where I said I used to watch him with great regularity (every day, in college)? I still do watch him, now, on occasion, when I see someone on his show I want to watch. Hence my opinions on the whole Cramer thing.
Old 03-15-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What partisan agenda has Jon Stewart pushed exactly in the Jim Cramer interview?
Old 03-15-09, 10:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Everything on television is now biased, so where do you go for the 'real', or even fictional, news?
I suggest you turn off your TV.
Old 03-15-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Wow, thanks for your self-professed psychic vision.

You have no clue who I am. Did you fail to read the part where I said I used to watch him with great regularity (every day, in college)? I still do watch him, now, on occasion, when I see someone on his show I want to watch. Hence my opinions on the whole Cramer thing.
You used to watch the show with great regularity.

Now, you watch it "on occasion".

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
So, it looks to me like I knew exactly who you were.
Old 03-15-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geez... what a hatchet job that was (what actually aired on the show). The complete interview was a much different tone, unlike what aired which was basically Stewart harassing Cramer w/out giving him an opportunity to fully respond. The full interview was a much better conversation.

I find it funny how Stewart is mad about how "we've bought into this lie of long term investing" yadda, yadda but then heckles Cramer when he changes his mind about stocks. It's like ummm... I may think a stock stinks one day (we'll say PALM for example) but then it may release a new product that is well accepted and popular and I may change my mind and buy the stock a week later... in this market buy & hold is dead.

P.S. - I see that Stewart conveniently left out the video clip of Cramer ranting that the Fed "KNOWS NOTHING" and that firms will start going out of business (In July 2007 - Dow @ 13,300). Or the clip in Oct. 2008 where he urged people to take all of their money that they did not need in the next 5 years out of the market (Dow @ 10,000)

Last edited by SuprVgeta; 03-15-09 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 03:16 AM
Mod Emeritus

This seemed like the best thread to bump...

Although we don't get highly-acclaimed Craig Ferguson in the UK, a digital channel carries the Daily Show and this week I tuned in to see Jon Stewart do a great piece on how all the presidents from Obama right back to Nixon were banging on about the US becoming self-sufficient in energy and investing in alternatives other than oil.

It was very effective and showed how they mostly used similar phraseology, carefullly cut together with Stewart's comments which teased out the decades-long failure to get to grips with the issue. Your current president, I assume, was deemed to be just as unlikely to get to grips with the matter in spite of (because of?) the similar rhetoric.

It was very well put together and ended with a clip showing 1960s Nixon proposing a seemingly-generous health care system for all, followed by a quip from Stewart that the guy failed because he was clearly a communist!
Old 06-24-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, saw that clip in politics. Very funny.
Old 06-24-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

He has been getting tougher on Obama, calling him out on he shenanigans.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.