TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Is the Daily Show getting lame?

Old 09-01-05, 10:22 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Is the Daily Show getting lame?

Ok I used to LOVE the Daily Show a lot. Fake news, making fun of everyone who does something stupid.

Lately its so much more a liberal one sided slam fest. Every liberal is right, every righty is wrong. Cant they bring back the phony human interest stories and making fun of everyone who makes an ass of themselves.

I dont have much stomach for one-sided politics ranting (I dont really have a 'side') and it seems the only people who will be finding TDS funny nowadays are lefties.

Will things go back to normal when they get a demo in the white house?
Old 09-01-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Lately its so much more a liberal one sided slam fest. Every liberal is right, every righty is wrong.

Lately? It's been like that ever since Jon Steward was hired.
Old 09-01-05, 10:33 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I havent watched it consistently, but I really like him and his humor. I remember him poking fun at dems and repubs alike. Maybe as the show gets more popular he feels more confident to just be one sided. I also just wish it would do more non political comedy (human interest pieces or something) but I guess thats not what they want the show to be.
Old 09-01-05, 10:35 AM

It's been lame ever since Craig Kilborn left.
Old 09-01-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't watch it regularly, but didn't they just mock the "liberal" media (CNN) on their show the other day? And I've seen them rip into plenty of Democrats.

Once again, everyone seems to forget the non-stop Clinton jokes when the Dems were running the country.

Could it be you no longer agree with their focus (even though the Repubs are in charge now, so naturally they'd get more attention.)

Last edited by Draven; 09-01-05 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-01-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've watched the show since it first starting airing. Aside from September 2002-June 2003, when I was out of the country, I've pretty much consistently watched it.

I guess you've missed all the times the show has made fun of Democrats and liberals. The party in power is always going to get ribbed more, though.

Does Jon Stewart go easier on Democrat or liberal guests? Yeah, sometimes. I don't think he was very demanding of Zell Miller or Rick Santorum, though.

After 9/11, Stewart said they were taking the show in a more political direction, leaving a lot of the random stupid people segments behind. That was always more a hallmark of the Craig Kilborn years anyway.
Old 09-01-05, 11:02 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Yea Ive missed the show the last few months. Last night it was all the woman protesting who lost her son in Iraq. It was pretty nonstop and not funny after a while.
Old 09-01-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not lame at all to me. I find the show constantly creative and funny.
Old 09-01-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been a smug, unimaginative, and one-note crusade by Stewart for a long time now. When you hear people saying they remember a few weeks ago he bashed a democrat, while he bashes republicans for the majority of every show, it's laughable to refer to that as some sort of balance.
Old 09-01-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm very weird with this show. I will watch it consistently for a while, and then I don't feel the urge to hit play on my tivo again for a while. It has been recording, but I have been letting it record over itself again and again. Don't know when I'll be in the mood to start watching again.
Old 09-01-05, 11:39 AM

Well, really the only thing he can bash the Dems for right now is their lame ineffectiveness as the oppositon party.

The Repubs have the White House, the Senate, the House, the judiciary. They are the ones calling all the shots in politics right now, so they will bear the brunt of the criticism for current affairs.

The Deocrats are such a non-entity right now, what is there really to make fun of besides that? (I stll laugh at the Daily Show's name for the Democratic presidential primary race "Race from the White House.")
Old 09-01-05, 11:47 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

It was just ridiculous the way they had that weird lady protesting made out to be a saint that could do no wrong. I havent been following the news but i think there is more than one side to her story.
Old 09-01-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It's been a smug, unimaginative, and one-note crusade by Stewart for a long time now. When you hear people saying they remember a few weeks ago he bashed a democrat, while he bashes republicans for the majority of every show, it's laughable to refer to that as some sort of balance.
I think it's even MORE laughable to expect some sort of balance from an ENTERTAINMENT show. For example, the creator of "Family Guy" is probably liberal, yet we never see threads bashing "Family Guy" because of it's liberal bias with no conservative balance.

No, "The Daily Show" is not getting lame, only some of its viewers.
Old 09-01-05, 12:45 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Well, I think in the beginning the Daily Show was a comedy of fake news. The more political it gets the less real comedy it has and the more its a commentary/roast fest for whoever they dont like. Cant we just get back to real comedy?
Old 09-01-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea Ive missed the show the last few months. Last night it was all the woman protesting who lost her son in Iraq. It was pretty nonstop and not funny after a while.

well, make sure you base your perceptions on one episode then.....

I think the show is great and pretty fair. They call bullshit on both republicans and dems. it's also a comedy show so they go after whatever offers the best punchline.
Old 09-01-05, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
I think it's even MORE laughable to expect some sort of balance from an ENTERTAINMENT show.
This all started when people started taking The Daily Show seriously, and when the show and its viewers began taking themselves seriously. It galls me to think that people consider this a news show.
Old 09-01-05, 12:56 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

well i did say this is the first show Ive seen in awhile, i wanted to know if this is typical for how the shows are lately. Ill give them more chances. I think Jon is better than Craig.
Old 09-01-05, 12:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

It still has its moments, but IMO it lost a lot when it became so heavily political. I don't even care about the sides they take, I'm just not THAT into political humor. I mean, I'm bored to tears when they have some sort of political writer or CNN/Fox News reporter as the guest.
Old 09-01-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well i did say this is the first show Ive seen in awhile, i wanted to know if this is typical for how the shows are lately. Ill give them more chances. I think Jon is better than Craig.
yeah, I personally really like the new format. I don't rely on it as a news source, but find it a refreshing voice in the modern world of media frenzy and the sensationalism of 24-hour news networks. The correspondent segments haven't changed much over the years and are still pretty good. I think the headlines are the best part, though.
Old 09-01-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
This all started when people started taking The Daily Show seriously, and when the show and its viewers began taking themselves seriously. It galls me to think that people consider this a news show.
I take The Daily Show seriously. It frequently makes serious points about the issues of the day. A lot of the time it's still just a goofy satire (which is good), but it's also developed beyond that to more biting social criticism.

I also don't understand the criticism that people think of it as a news show, when 90% of the jokes aren't funny unless you already have knowledge of the issues they're referencing. I'm sure there are some people that get their news from the show, but I can't understand why or even how they think it's funny.
Old 09-01-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You do realize it is a comedy show, right? You must really despise Fox News for their "Fair and Balanced" claims, since they are supposedly a "real news" show.
Old 09-01-05, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I'm very weird with this show. I will watch it consistently for a while, and then I don't feel the urge to hit play on my tivo again for a while. It has been recording, but I have been letting it record over itself again and again. Don't know when I'll be in the mood to start watching again.
Hahaha. I hear you. Late July~Early August...watched it religiously But last two weeks, I've kept recording over newer eps thinking/rationalizing "meh I'll catch one of the encores later" (which of course I don't bother to do). I probably won't get the Daily Show jones again 'til sometime next week.
Old 09-01-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

It was a magnificent show. But I really enjoyed fake news. I loved the interviews with morons that they acted serious with. Those had me rolling. Now that they mainly do political stuff, I just don't enjoy it a lot. I see them poke fun at pretty much anyone that will make a joke fit, but if I wanted semi real news, I'd watch a news channel. I just want to laugh and be entertained. If I wanted a political show that was funny, I'd stick with Bill Maher, etc.
Old 09-01-05, 04:29 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Exactly Dave. I wish it was less serious (move farther away from honest political commentary under thinly veiled sarcasm) and more mocking of the common man.
Old 09-01-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Absolutely agree.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.