Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deep Space Nine

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Pet peeve: The verb meaning "to cry" is spelled "bawl." "Ball," as a verb, is a slang term, and it does not describe something a child should be doing.
My bad. I'm so busy trying to get the $1 words correct in the dissertation that the smaller words sometimes slip through the cracks everywhere else.
Old 08-02-05, 03:54 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lisadoris
My bad. I'm so busy trying to get the $1 words correct in the dissertation that the smaller words sometimes slip through the cracks everywhere else.
No problem. I just found the phrase "ball like a child" to be unintentionally funny.
Old 08-04-05, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One funny thing is when I see the actress playing Cassidy Yates I can't help but think conniving wench (based on the character she plays in 24)
Old 08-04-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I just finished watching the whole thing, start to finish. I had seen some episodes before -- primarily from the first couple of seasons and the last season -- but I had never actually watched the whole thing. That was some high quality TV. Once it kicks into gear during the third season or so, it never looks back. Highly recommended to sci-fi fans, and easily the best Trek (except maybe for the original, but that's really an apples and oranges comparison).

Anyway, I did have one question about the behind-the-scenes stuff: does anybody know why Terry Farrell left the show? I think I read somewhere that she wanted to stay. Did the producers have a particular reason for taking her off the show, or was it just that they felt her character was played out?

Deep Space Nine was a trek soap opera.....It was cool because we knew all of the main races/alliances

But I also liked generations as they went and fought/found different aliens etc.
Old 08-04-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Battle Lines, season one.

Series: 'Deep Space Nine'
Episode Title: 'Battle Lines'
Episode Number: 112
Synopsis: "A shuttle carrying Bajoran spiritual leader Kai Opaka on a brief tour of the Gamma Quadrant encounters trouble and crashes on a planet where she dies, leaving a devastated Kira and a shocked Sisko and Bashir. Then they discover that people on the planet are resurrected when they die, but can never leave...and the two local warring tribes have been killing one another for decades."
Thansk all.

I wonder why they decided to do that to that actress? She was a regular character before Nurse Ratchett came on.
Old 08-05-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, thanks to this thread, I decided to do a DS9 marathon...Its been a while since Ive seen them so I thought it would be perfect to start watching them from beginning to end. Cant afford to buy them outright, so I joined Netflix and starting this weekend. Also, doing this with Firefly and Entourage since I have yet to watch either of those but thats another topic.
Old 08-05-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Thansk all.

I wonder why they decided to do that to that actress? She was a regular character before Nurse Ratchett came on.
According to the DS9 companion it wasn't personal. The writers didn't want to just kill a red shirt because that wouldn't have any impact on the audience and she was the most expendable recurring character.
Old 08-05-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not positive which book is it, but in one of the relaunch books Opaca
Spoiler:
is found by jake in the gamma quadrant and comes back to DS9 with him
Old 08-05-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts
I watched the DS9 dvds at the same time I was watching the 1960s Combat! series on dvd. Was suprised to learned that The Maquis(sp?) actually existed. They were a branch of the French resistance during WWII.
Old 08-05-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rw2516
I watched the DS9 dvds at the same time I was watching the 1960s Combat! series on dvd. Was suprised to learned that The Maquis(sp?) actually existed. They were a branch of the French resistance during WWII.
I've noticed that Star Trek borrows extensively from the real world. All of their aliens (especially the main ones) and the main cultures have basis in real life civilizations and populations. I think that's just one more reason why this show is more interesting than most.
Old 08-06-05, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lisadoris
According to the DS9 companion it wasn't personal. The writers didn't want to just kill a red shirt because that wouldn't have any impact on the audience and she was the most expendable recurring character.
The story I remember reading at the time was that it was a combination of the producers really not liking how the character was being played & thinking that her death would give the perception of show's status quo a good little jolt.
Old 08-06-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 702 Posts
Getting back to Terry Farrell. I doubt it if she will every get a major role again. I mean she bailed out of not only one show but two over a contract dispute. They canned her on Becker after she asked for more money. I think she was okay on both shows but really was just eye candy.

Back to DS9...I really need to watch this series through. I followed it and have seen maybe 80% of the show. I have 1-5 and need to get the other two and go through them.

I agree with Pale Moon Light, great show. The moral ambiguity of war is really played well in this eps.
Old 08-07-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm loving this thread because it's so rare to hear this opinion from Trek fans. I whole-heartedly agree with virtually everything that's been said. It was the dark nature and tone of the show that won me over. I didn't give it much of a chance when it aired. I was a massive TNG fan and once it ended i just sort of wandered away from the whole universe, but man am I happy I picked DS9 back on on repeats and then DVDs.

In the Pale Moon Light, Waltz, Far Beyond the Stars, The Visitor, all brilliant hours of television and certainly among the best hours of trek. While not as good as those eps, I also feel the need to mention "Sacrifice of Angels." While not as deep as the previously mentioned, and it did sort of have a deus ex machina, "reset" button ending (only in how they dealt with the fleet, but hey, they could have just arrived in the nick of time to save the minefield, so credit them with being original) It was amazing for it's scope. The plot was fairly straightforward - Reclaim the station. We're outnumbered two-to-one and we have a ticking clock. Let's fight. The battle itself was the backdrop for everything else and it worked wonderfully.

The thing that made my jaw drop watching it 3 years ago or so was the production value of the battle itself. I knew that this episode had aired sometime in the mid-to-late 90s. Hear I was watching it a couple years after the series ENDED and I was blown away by the sheer number of ships and activity as these two massive fleets just collided in space and had at it. The Trek movies haven't even come close to giving us something this massive. The Borg Invasion in the beginning of First Contact was nice, don't get me wrong (especially because the Defiant kicks ass) but it had nothing on Sacrifice.

While my favorite eps of the series are certainly some of the darker, more introspective character pieces, DS9 also knew how to deliver on the balls-to-the-wall epic space battles that put you on the edge of your seat is all I'm saying ;p

Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 08-07-05 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-07-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Doc MacGyver

I'm loving this thread because it's so rare to hear this opinion from Trek fans.
I hear this a lot (that it's rare), but I really think it's a misconception. Sure, there are Trek fans that didn't like the series, but then there are people who actually thought Voyager didn't suck too. On the whole, though, while not #1 in popularity, I think there's a lot more large-scale respect for DS9 among the fans than people believe. There's this belief that DS9 is the black sheep of the Trek family, and while that is certainly true when it comes to Paramount (who would be content to completely ignore its existence), I don't think it's the case among fandom. People love this show. Also, when thinking that the show doesn't get respect from Trek fans, keep in mind there are many people out there like me who grew up with the original series and will always consider it their favorite. However, that doesn't mean we don't love DS9 or TNG too.

das
Old 08-07-05, 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by • Doc MacGyver •
I'm loving this thread because it's so rare to hear this opinion from Trek fans
DS9 is my favorite of the Trek shows by far. The depth of the characters and story arcs is something no other Trek show even came close to attempting. Some of the recurring chracters had more development than regulars on the other four Trek shows.

Voyager was so horrible I couldn't keep watching after season five or so. They basically castrated Q and the Borg. And the overuse of technobabble solutions, reset buttons and the holodeck were just vomit-inducing. Voyager was proof Berman and Braga had lost their touch. Enterprise could've been so much more if someone else had been in charge, although being on UPN would've killed it anyway no matter what.
Old 08-08-05, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Also, when thinking that the show doesn't get respect from Trek fans, keep in mind there are many people out there like me who grew up with the original series and will always consider it their favorite. However, that doesn't mean we don't love DS9 or TNG too.

das
Agreed. I grew up with the original Trek, hell some of my first clear memories of childhood are of watching Star Trek in its original run but I put DS9 top of the list. Next Gen had some stuff I liked but I never felt like the characters went any where and there was no internal conflict. Picard, Riker and Data are basically the same characters in Nemesis as they were at the beginning of the series. Stuff happened on DS9 that impacted the way characters existed, there was an arc & a scope to the storytelling and quite often the characters didn't get along or didn't like each other. There was internal conflict and that made for some good drama & interesting TV.
Old 08-08-05, 09:53 PM

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/444/444306p1.html

Here's an interview with DS9 writer Ron Moore in which he answers the Terry Ferrell question.
Old 08-08-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 636 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Ouch. That will be tough to keep up with, even in summer.

Okay - so I'm kind of keeping up with these. I'll watch the first 15 minutes and then decide whether it worth watching. I weed out about half of them this way.

Anyhoo, they aired Blood Oath today. That was awesome - so great seeing the Klingon captains Kor, Koloth, and Kang back from TOS - with the actors who originally portrayed them no less. Good for Koloth too since he was such a wuss for a Klingon in Trouble with Tribbles.
Old 08-08-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gourmet Artist
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/444/444306p1.html

Here's an interview with DS9 writer Ron Moore in which he answers the Terry Ferrell question.
Which page of the 18 pages? I couldn't find it.
Old 08-09-05, 02:04 AM

Maybe it was a different interview. I remember it was said that she was offered the same amount of money to do Becker, but didnt have to spend the 2 hours on the makeup chair. So technically she got a raise and thats why she asked for one on DS9.
Old 08-09-05, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,175 Posts
I was just looking at some photos of Farrell.

She's remeinds me of a "Sela Ward Lite".