Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deep Space Nine

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 08:29 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Giantrobo -- is your #1 episode the one where Sisko and Garak come up with the plan to bring the Romulans into the war? If so, then I agree with both your choices -- two great episodes.

I really like the one where Dukat and Sisko are trapped on the planet together. I also like the one with the baseball game.

HN -- when the show was originally on the air, part of the reason I lost interest and didn't go out of my way to catch it was that I thought Bajoran religion and politics were really boring. The 3-parter at the beginning of Season 2 in which the Bajorans kick the Federation out of DS9 really turned me off the show. Kira was my least favorite character, and I couldn't stand Wynn. But this time through, I didn't mind the Bajoran stuff at all and I really liked Kira. I still hated Wynn, though.
Old 08-01-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
One of these days, I might have to go back and check DS9 out. I too had seen about the first 6 or 7 episodes and then several other episodes scattered throughout and never really cared for it.

I guess I'll have to join netflix though to do it because there is no way I am paying $90 for season sets on essentially a blind buy. None of the cable outlets seem to air it syndication either.
Old 08-01-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Giantrobo -- is your #1 episode the one where Sisko and Garak come up with the plan to bring the Romulans into the war? If so, then I agree with both your choices -- two great episodes.

Yeah that's the one.
Old 08-01-05, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one episode where they land on a planet, only to discover that the inhabitants are the crew's own children (Children of Time, season 5) might be my favorite hour of Trek ever, surpassing TNG's Cause and Effect.

Unfortunately, DS9 also has one of my least favorite eps ever... that one where they go to Risa and Worf decides to join in with a band of fun-terrorists and ruin everyone's vacation (Let He Who Is Without Sin... also season 5). What a total waste of time and it went against established character traits on numerous occasions.

It's hard to really rate any of the "continuing storyline" eps, as when you're watching them all in a row they all belnd together. The stand alone eps are more distinctive when you're doing it that way.
Old 08-01-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
None of the cable outlets seem to air it syndication either.
Don't you get Spike TV?
http://www.spiketv.com/shows/series/...ID=startrekds9
Old 08-01-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Chew

Do they air them in order?
Old 08-01-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The ones they have listed over the next several days are all in order and come from somewhat early in season 2. Actually, that might not be so bad of a place to start. The true overall arc of the show gets it's roots right around this time.
Old 08-01-05, 09:17 AM
Suspended

It looks like they're airing them in order. They're in the middle of Season 2 now. You could probably start watching here without having to struggle too much to catch up -- the first couple of seasons don't have many episodes with long-term repurcussions.

Don't forget Spike has 2 different episodes a day, so be sure to record both.
Old 08-01-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Don't forget Spike has 2 different episodes a day, so be sure to record both.

Ouch. That will be tough to keep up with, even in summer.
Old 08-01-05, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's why Netflix was invented
Old 08-01-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nemein
That's why Netflix was invented

Yeah - I mentioned that before. I'm not thrilled about joining just to get one series and I don't think I could really take advantage of it (I rent from Hollywood maybe 3 or 4 times a year). Seems to be the only choice though - with football season and fall tv coming, there is no way I can keep up with 2 eps/day from Spike. I might just wait until next summer to netflix it (can watch it over the whole summer at my own pace).
Old 08-01-05, 09:44 AM
Suspended

You might try to pick up the sets used. Half.com has them for $40 apiece (give or take), and you might be able to find it even cheaper on eBay.
Old 08-01-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You might try to pick up the sets used. Half.com has them for $40 apiece (give or take), and you might be able to find it even cheaper on eBay.
that sounds reasonable. I've always felt that all the different "Star Trek boxsets" have been the most overpriced boxsets out there.
Old 08-01-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To get them new you can also try DeepDiscountDVD during one of their sales. I picked up the complete series during the sale last winter for $432. Still a hefty chunk of change, but the sets are much more reasonably priced at ~$62 a season than $90+.
Old 08-01-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
1. The one where Sisko shows just how far he was willing to go to get allies in the war. What a great ep in terms of its dark vibe and finally showing the Federation with some balls. The way he looked into the camera at the end of the ep and declared his devotion to what he did was just amazing.

2. The ep where Sisko was sci fi writer from the 1950's.
"In the Pale Moonlight" is one kickass episode and I love it but I think the darkness turned a lot of other trek fans off. "Far Beyond the Stars" is one of my all-time favorite Trek episodes. What makes it so cool, aside from the social commentary, is the fact that Brooks pulled off some amazing acting in every single scene and directed the episode to boot. He's going to be at the Vegas convention next week and I'm trying to find a copy of that script so I can snag his autograph.
Old 08-01-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 251 Likes on 177 Posts
"Our Man Bashir" is a lot of fun. Sisko as Dr. Noah who plans to flood the planet was a hoot.
Old 08-01-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
Essentially Becker was going to pay Terry the same amount as DS9 except it would be for a 30 minute sitcom (no heavy make-up, no prosthetics, etc.). With that deal she would be basically getting a raise since she would be paid the same for 3/4 the amount of time she would have put in on DSN (if that). She took this to the producers and asked for a raise. They declined, she left the show and begged not to be killed off. They killed her off anyway.
From what I have read, she did not have Becker before leaving DS9. She got a swelled head and left to do other stuff. I think it may have even had to do with wanting more money. What else are they to do (since she had just married Worf) but to kill her off.
She even forbid them to use any clips of her during the finale as well and she was doing Hellraiser sequels before she got DS9?

As far as getting all the episodes, I got original versions on ebay (for a fraction of the price )that werer from Japan. Everything was the same except the covers.

I never bothered with B5 out of spite- everytime I saw a clip from the show during a short interview spot with an actor on it .

You missed a great show.
Old 08-01-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lisadoris
"In the Pale Moonlight" is one kickass episode and I love it but I think the darkness turned a lot of other trek fans off. "Far Beyond the Stars" is one of my all-time favorite Trek episodes. What makes it so cool, aside from the social commentary, is the fact that Brooks pulled off some amazing acting in every single scene and directed the episode to boot. He's going to be at the Vegas convention next week and I'm trying to find a copy of that script so I can snag his autograph.

Well that "Darkness" was cool to me. Screw Trekkies and their "happy happy joy joy" Federation vibe.
Old 08-01-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well that "Darkness" was cool to me. Screw Trekkies and their "happy happy joy joy" Federation vibe.
Damn right! That's one of many reasons why DS9 was so great- the characters were very flawed, and very real, making the TNG crew look too perfect, too unrealistic, and therefore too unrelateable. Think about it- when stuff happened to characters on DS9, good or bad, did you care? Of course I did. Now think about the TNG crew- did you care then? I sure didn't.

I could list off my favorites, of which there are many- "The Siege Of AR-558", "Call To Arms", "The Jem'Hadar"....but that would take too long.
Old 08-01-05, 01:56 PM

My all time favorite DS9 line from "Improbable Cause"

Garak: Why is it no one ever believes me even when I'm telling the truth?
Bashir: Have you ever heard the story about the boy who cried wolf?
Garak: No.
Bashir: It's a children's story about a young shepherd boy who gets lonely while attending his flock, so he cries out to the villagers that a wolf is attacking the sheep. The people come running, but of course there's no wolf. He claims that it's run away and the people praise him for his vigilance.
Garak: Clever lad! Charming story.
Bashir: I'm not finished. The next day the boy does it again and the next two and on the fourth day a wolf really comes. The boy cries out to the top of his lungs, but the villagers ignore him and the boy and his flock are gobbled up.
Garak: That's a little graphic for children, wouldn't you say?
Bashir: But the point is; if you lie all the time nobody's going to believe you, even when you're telling the truth.
Garak: Are you sure that's the point, doctor?
Bashir: Of course. What else could it be?
Garak: That you should never tell the same lie twice.

And here are a few others:

Odo: You'd shoot a man in the back?
Garak: It's the safest way, isn't it?

Bashir: So of the stories you told me, which ones were true?
Garak: My dear doctor, all of them were true.
Bashir: What about the lies?
Garak: Especially the lies.

Garak: The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Old 08-01-05, 02:29 PM

I've got to watch my DS9 set again; I've forgotten so many great moments and characters. Especially Garak - I don't know whose life story was more depressing - Worf or Garak.

And I consider "In The Pale Moonlight" the best Trek episode ever. Damn near sucked all the air from the room at the Romulan ambassador's reaction before the commercial break.

While it was more fun and not really story-intensive, I have a soft spot for "Take Me Out To The Holosuite". My stepfather is not a sci-fi person, but a big baseball fan: I told him that he had to watch it just for Sisko's love of baseball. He actually enjoyed the other aspects of the episode, too.
Old 08-01-05, 02:40 PM

BTW, does anyone else love how Lucas ripped off the sail ship Sisko and Jake refurbished.

I always dug the Cardassian females....

Ep faves....

1. The one where Sisko shows just how far he was willing to go to get allies in the war. What a great ep in terms of its dark vibe and finally showing the Federation with some balls. The way he looked into the camera at the end of the ep and declared his devotion to what he did was just amazing.

2. The ep where Sisko was sci fi writer from the 1950's.
The best line from those episodes:

1. It's a FAAAAAAKE!!

2. It's REEEEAALLLL!!!
Old 08-01-05, 02:52 PM
Cool New Member

"The Visitor" for me is the best DS9 episode ever and one of the best ST episodes right there with "The Inner Light" from ST:TNG and "City on the Edge of Forever" from ST:TOS. Although nominated for a Hugo Award in 1996, it was the only one among the 3 episodes that didn't win one.
Old 08-01-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
yes, for the most part at least.
occasionally if there is a 2 parter they will air an episode out of order to get the 2 parter to be on one day
same with TNG
Old 08-01-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was an awful a lot of great drama in this series, but let's also remember the great comic relief that this series had. Of all Trek, I think DS9 had the best light hearted episodes of any series. Every Ferengi episode was grand (I especially loved Little Green Men) and the episode where Odo and Quark are stranded on that cold planet was pure wonderful writing, with a mixture of comedy and showing how much those two couldn't live without each other. Such awesome character development.

My only regrets with this series was that Q never really fit into the series. After his one episode, that was it. That was a bummer.

And even though this was the best modern Trek, it really shouldn't have been. Voyager had such tremedous potential to be so much more. If they had let Ron Moore get more freedom over the series, it would have been easilly second to Deep Space Nine, if not better. Watching Battlestar Galactica makes me realize the vision that Ron Moore had for Voyager, and Voyager could have been radically different from previous Trek shows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.