Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica in HD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Battlestar Galactica in HD!

Didn't see any threads on this, so I thought everyone would like to know that NBC is running the last three hours of the first season of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA in HD this Saturday Night from 8pm to 11pm. There's also going to be a sneak peak of Season Two.

[Corrected by post...it's 8pm to 11pm!]

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 07-06-05 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-05-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently dropped the DirecTV HD package because Battlestar was the only thing I was actually watching on those channels.

I saw that NBC was playing the last 3 hours, but this is the first confirmation I've seen it's HD. Sweet.
Old 07-05-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, that is pretty cool. Wish I had HD.
Old 07-05-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I recently dropped the DirecTV HD package because Battlestar was the only thing I was actually watching on those channels.
Universal HD's first airing of the season finale didn't have any audio in the center channel, so you'd get music and sound effects with no dialogue. This was my first time watching the show, so I thought for much longer than I should've that they were trying to be arty. (The rebroadcast three hours later was fine, tho'.)

The condensed version of the mini-series was in HD on NBC, so I'd expect these episodes to be in HD too.
Old 07-05-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome
Old 07-05-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Cool!!!

Does the new season start a week from Friday or something?
Old 07-05-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Does the new season start a week from Friday or something?
July 15th.
Old 07-05-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
last three hours of the first season of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA in HD this Saturday Night from 8pm to 10pm.
So they are gonna squeeze in 3 hours of BG into 2 hours from 8-10? ?! Yay, no commercials!! I am so there!! hehe.
Old 07-06-05, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge
So they are gonna squeeze in 3 hours of BG into 2 hours from 8-10? ?! Yay, no commercials!! I am so there!! hehe.
I corrected that...
Old 07-06-05, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never watched this, but have heard good things. So there's only been 1 season so far? I've never been much of a sci-fi fan, but after watching Lost and, for the first time, the Star Wars Trilogy, I've become more interested. Is it worth my while? Sci-Fi channel is airing a whole bunch today that I'm Tivoing, is this the entire first season?
Old 07-06-05, 10:31 AM
Cool New Member

I have never seen the show before. Is this something I can pick up on Saturday night and continue with season two?
Old 07-06-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ehanson
I have never seen the show before. Is this something I can pick up on Saturday night and continue with season two?
Nope, this isn't like Trek where you can just start watching it. The series has several plotlines going through the entire season going back to the original mini-series. I suppose you can pick up all these plotlines and make some sense of them, but there would be no way to appreciate how good they are.

To aktick: without a doubt, the best sci-fi show on TV right now. TVGuide is even going so far as to say "one of the best dramas" on TV. (I wouldn't go that far).

Forget what you know of the original. And if you've never even seen the original, all the better.
Old 07-06-05, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Nope, this isn't like Trek where you can just start watching it. The series has several plotlines going through the entire season going back to the original mini-series. I suppose you can pick up all these plotlines and make some sense of them, but there would be no way to appreciate how good they are.

To aktick: without a doubt, the best sci-fi show on TV right now. TVGuide is even going so far as to say "one of the best dramas" on TV. (I wouldn't go that far).

Forget what you know of the original. And if you've never even seen the original, all the better.
Thanks...so the original miniseries - is that considered part of S1, or do you need it to make sense of S1?
Old 07-06-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, the mini-series isn't as strong as the series has become, but you most definitely need to start from the beginning with the mini as it sets up most of the plotlines. The series itself starts shortly after the mini-series (like within hours of the end).
Old 07-06-05, 11:40 AM
Suspended

IMO, the mini-series isn't as strong as the series has become, but you most definitely need to start from the beginning with the mini as it sets up most of the plotlines. The series itself starts shortly after the mini-series (like within hours of the end).
And is this mini-series available anywhere?
Old 07-06-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. Netflix has it, Amazon has it. You can find it used online.

Old 07-06-05, 04:47 PM

Too late now, But Sci-Fi Channel is doing a Marathon Today.
Old 07-07-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

don't mean to hijack this thread, but you can watch the second part of the season finale online, free, here

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/full..._full_episode/
Old 07-08-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some interesting casting news for Season 2

newsletter
Syndicate news
Shore Leave forum
Actress Michelle Forbes, who played 'Ensign Ro Laren' in several episodes of STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION, will appear in two episodes in the upcoming second season of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

According to the Hollywood North Report, Forbes will play 'Admiral Cain', commander of the Battlestar Pegasus, in the pivotal two-parter second season episode "Pegasus". In the original GALACTICA series, 'Commander Cain' was a male character played by the late Lloyd Bridges in the original series episode "Living Legend".

According to the The Great Link, in the episode, the Galactica crew is stunned to learn that the Mercury-class Battlestar Pegasus also survived the attack on the Colonies, but tensions run high when the Pegasus's 'Admiral Cain' assumes command of the fleet. Upon assuming command of the fleet, Cain begins moving crew members around, transferring 'Lee Adama' and 'Kara Thrace' to the Pegasus.
Old 07-08-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Why is this on NBC?
Old 07-08-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
Why is this on NBC?
it's on NBC because they figure they'll grab the attention of some fans who may not have known it existed, or didn't view it originally on SciFi ..also just a good way to get it out there so people remember the new season ..

and NBC Universal has the following channels: BRAVO, CNBC, MSNBC, SciFi, USA network..and a few others ...so since everybody gets NBC, they picked that one for a wide broadcast..if you remember or watched the King Kong trailer like a week or two ago, it was on like 9 channels (all of which were NBC/Univ channels) ..they'll use em all if they can get something out of it..
Old 07-08-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Riley_dude might want to use spoiler tags in the future.

That is pretty cool news.
Old 07-09-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
FWIW
Spoiler:
Lucy Lawless is going to be a guest star this season. My guess is that they will have special guest stars appear as other models of cylons.

Watching this version tonight reminds me of one thing: me really like Katiebuck!!!
Old 07-10-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I watched absolutly ZERO episodes of this until the first hour on NBC and WOW, thats a f'in awesome show!

BTW, I saw some episodes on UHD...is this normal? If theres gonna be a consisent HD airing Ill start watching now and catch up later through Netflix.
Old 07-11-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW, I saw some episodes on UHD...is this normal? If theres gonna be a consisent HD airing Ill start watching now and catch up later through Netflix.
The first season has been airing an episode at a time on Sunday night for the past few months. You caught part of a marathon, and they're running the entire first season (not the miniseries, tho') on Thursday starting at 6 PM and again on Friday at 7 AM. That's it for the immediate future -- it's not on the July schedule after that or on the August schedule at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.