Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rescue Me (season 2 premiere) "Voice Mail" 6/21/05

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
GREAT to have this back.

In the opening dream sequence, his wife said "Lick my ______" ?? I couldn't hear it, even rewinding & replaying.

The language is pretty harsh, very HBO-ish, but this show is pure genius--both serious and incredibly funny...
Old 06-22-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
neck
Old 06-22-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Achtung
Someone from NY could probably provide a better answer, since I haven't been there since 2000. But I couldn't imagine someone on the street being allowed to do that and not getting crap all the time. But then, anything goes in this country sometimes.
I don't know about cookies, but only because they're too perishable. People do set up tables to sell WTC garbage and bootleg FDNY and NYPD merch. They also have stuff that boggles the mind, like those fake license plates that usually say "TIMES SQUARE" and "BROOKLYN" but instead say "GROUND ZERO". Like who the hell would want that?

But, to answer your question, we used to scowl at people selling shit like that but now there's no point. Tourists lap that crap up. Besides, they're generally just poor chinese immigrants trying to make a few bucks anyway. And when you have the city, NYPD and FDNY trying to sell official merch to the same people anyway, what's the point.

As for the show, it was a great second season opener. Lean and mean, with lots of emotional impact. And the clips from the season look VERY promising. Glad to see them addressing the issue of FDNY having crap walkies - a large reason why so many died on 9/11 and one the city hasn't really rectified (too busy building stadiums)

late edit: here's a link to a local story about the souvenir vendors: http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_10...enirsales.html

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 06-23-05 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-23-05, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm certainly glad FX went straight from Shield to Rescue Me. With all the other "not so good" new summer offerings, it's great to have a few quality shows out there to watch.

Although Tommy was hitting rock bottom here, it was far from a full-hour of depression. Plenty of great laughs along the way.

Here's hoping Tommy's brother and Sully share some dialogue at some point.
Old 06-23-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So Rescue Me will probably be ending it's season when Nip/Tuck (Season 3) starts in September then? Was it on Tuesdays too?
Old 06-23-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I loved how she put his picture on craigslist with his phone #.
Old 06-23-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
So Rescue Me will probably be ending it's season when Nip/Tuck (Season 3) starts in September then? Was it on Tuesdays too?
Correct.
Old 06-23-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 619 Likes on 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil L.
"You smell like whiskey"
"OK let me take care of that"
"What's that?"
"Vodka. It has hardly any aroma"

Oh man I was when he did that.

Good to see 'Beecher' back on tv; seems like a good role for him.

I love this show. So good to have it back.
Old 06-24-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good episode , and now there's two former Oz inmates on the show

The only bad thing (for me) is that I completely missed the first season on TV, and was able to watch it on DVD in a couple of nights. This waiting a week between episodes will suck.
Old 06-24-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla

If I remember correctly, Nip/Tuck was on Tuesday nights but Rescue Me was on Wednesdays last year.
Old 06-26-05, 09:52 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Pretty good episode

Thought the fight outside the police station between Tommy and his brotherwas hilarious.
Old 06-26-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
is it really illegal to get a picture of a cock developed at a commercial film processing place?
Illegal? No, not if you are over 18. Your best bet would be to just ask "hey, I've got some questionable pics but no penetration or anything illegal or anything like that, will you print them?"

Keep in mind that, at least at the stores where I knew workers, they kept a photo album in the back of duplicates of some of the better pics like this (usually the nude woman pics).
Old 06-27-05, 05:54 AM
Suspended

Ok, Tommy can't get any lower after that episode. Things have got to turn around for him. There's only so far we can watch a character sink, and the next to last scene of the ep was the bottom.
Old 06-27-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're right, that was absolute rock bottom.

I suspect that "turn around" will be a relative term here. This guy is definitely set for a rocky road. He's created a path littered with the kind of damaged relationships that you don't just heal over night.
Old 06-27-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by nevermind
Good episode , and now there's two former Oz inmates on the show
I always like to see the HBO talent get work.

I loved the Gavin brothers fight and the way they were ready to take out those that interfered.

I am still hoping Scott William Winters (Cyril from Oz and Dean's real brother) shows up as another Gavin brother.