Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Shield "Ain't That a Shame" 6/14/05 *Season Finale*

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Derrich
Its funny how just about every recap the season showed Aceveda's rape.

D
Its the best part for some of us

I about shit when Dutch was offered the Captain chair. I'm glad he turned it down.

BTW Lem's fight for control of the shotgun was one of the most tense moments of this season.
Old 06-15-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If next season is to be the last like I half think it will, I imagine we will see Vic take Aceveda down early in the season (possibly with Monica's help -- Close says she's available for guest appearances) before the case gets built and either takes the Strike Team down or darn near does. I have to admit I hope they take Vic down in the end. He's a great character, but he *is* a bad guy.
Old 06-15-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Nice code Windtalker. If the Germans had you in World War II we could have stopped it before it got started."
Old 06-15-05, 09:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Its the best part for some of us

I about shit when Dutch was offered the Captain chair. I'm glad he turned it down.

BTW Lem's fight for control of the shotgun was one of the most tense moments of this season.
That scene was exceptionally well done and directed for maximum effect. Great tension.
Old 06-15-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad Lem kicked some ass in his fight scene, he has always been my favorite character (besides Vic of course). The finale felt like it was setting up next season to be the last season, or at least to me. It would have been nice if Close would have told Vic what was up, but it just shows how strong her character was. It sucks that she is leaving, and we have to wait until 2006 for a new season.
Old 06-15-05, 10:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think that Monica did her best to tell Vic what was up without actually telling him. Her speech about "How's it going to turn out for you?" had a strong point.

It's interesting that Lemonhead, the most honest of the strike team, would be the one who made the fatal error that might bring them down.
Old 06-15-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by cleaver
"Nice code Windtalker. If the Germans had you in World War II we could have stopped it before it got started."

Great line.

Good finale. Did a nice job of tying everything up while leaving an all-important piece dangling. What a terrific performance by Glenn Close - not just this episode, but the whole season. That's your Emmy winner right there.
Old 06-15-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
Juan's girlfriend is still out there also
Yeah, but obviously Antwon has a lot more to lose.

I thought most of the episode was excellent, but I wished they would have tightened the ending more and I didn't like how they had Close go out. Instead of having her say, "You know, screw you guys - I did my job," instead we got her whimpering, "No one's going to fight for me?" and as if she never expected to lose her job.
Old 06-15-05, 11:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Monica's not a politician like Acevada. She's an idealist. She thinks that good results will trump public relations problems, and that as long as she delivers the goods (which she most certainly did) she's bulletproof.
Old 06-15-05, 11:54 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Very solid season ender.

I don't know--Vic is really NOT that bad of a guy anymore, at least nothing like he used to be, not this season, anyway, so I can't really get into the idea of trying to take down the Strike Team again. It seems all of them are much more subdued and have dialed it way back.

I'd WAY rather see Aceveda get taken down. He had a guy murdered and brokered a deal to let a cop-killer nearly walk. He's slick, polished, and to me seems a lot worse than Vic is now, and I love seeing Vic being able to really stand up to him now that he's not his boss.
Old 06-15-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I loved this episode, I really wanted Close to tell Vic to get rid of that CI or to watch her closer. Give him something w/o giving it all away.

Funny, this season finale leaves several questions and raised as many as it answered, yet there is no uproar over this series as in Lost.
Old 06-15-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this episode more as a Series Finale than a Season. I am aware that its coming back, but it just felt as though they were trying to wrap everything up in one shot.

I just want someone to beat the living hell out of Aceveda. Thats my one Christmas wish.

I think Lem has an 'out' with the drug issue. He used the drugs to get to the middle-man (his name escapes me) and that lead to the AARP Member in this episode. Was it a little 'gray' yes, but it definitely worked out for the better. And hell it was Lem alone who had that bright idea.
Old 06-15-05, 11:59 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope they don't drop the suspension, even if Close doesn't return. After bringing in a cop killer the rest of the precinct should be pretty steamed. Maybe they'll take it out on the new captain. I also wonder if Antwon still has a (get of of jail free) card up his sleeve.
Old 06-15-05, 12:14 PM
GFM

Around episode 3, if you had told me Shane would have been alive at the end of this season and back in good graces with Vic, I'd thought you were on crack.

When Monica locked the door, I thought she was going to tap herself.

Great season overall. Definitely better than season 3 and possibly the best since season 1. Can't wait for 2006.

I wish more shows would stick with a 13 episode run rather than 22/24. It's nice when the whole season is good rather than getting 5-10 subpar filler episodes.
Old 06-15-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, but obviously Antwon has a lot more to lose.
As is Acaveda's prostitute, who seemed to pick up that Acaveda had been raped. That could clue in the Strike Team too.

If they start digging, there are tons of ways that the rape could be revealed.

My final few thoughts on the season:
1. I'm seriously going to miss Glenn Close. She was a fantastic character, both strong and flawed. I don't even like Ms. Close as an actress normally, but she was fantastic here.

2. Did we ever get the results of Shane's lie detector? I don't remember hearing if he was cleared? Did they just not bother giving it to him, since Army refused to take it? And what happened to him... he said they couldn't punish him for refusing to take the lie detector. Did he quit?

3. I love Ronnie. I'm glad they've got him talking more, compared to Season 1, where he was the mute.
Old 06-15-05, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by GFM
I wish more shows would stick with a 13 episode run rather than 22/24. It's nice when the whole season is good rather than getting 5-10 subpar filler episodes.
The grass is always greener, but I'd love another 10 new episodes of The Shield before 2006.
Old 06-15-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw
Very solid season ender.

I don't know--Vic is really NOT that bad of a guy anymore, at least nothing like he used to be, not this season, anyway, so I can't really get into the idea of trying to take down the Strike Team again. It seems all of them are much more subdued and have dialed it way back.
As they say on The Wire..."Murder STAYS murder."
Old 06-15-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by uteotw
Very solid season ender.

I'd WAY rather see Aceveda get taken down. He had a guy murdered and brokered a deal to let a cop-killer nearly walk. He's slick, polished, and to me seems a lot worse than Vic is now, and I love seeing Vic being able to really stand up to him now that he's not his boss.
That's one thing that made this season so strong, I think. Aceveda spent three seasons all high and mighty as he tried to take down Vic, but when the tables were turned, he turned just as dirty.

I also thought Close was incredibly strong in her role. She can grimace with the best of them. I'm going to miss her in this role.
Old 06-15-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The grass is always greener, but I'd love another 10 new episodes of The Shield before 2006.

I agree with both of you. I like someone's suggestion in my Rework the the network thread of 16 week seasons for shows. This would allow us more of great shows and cut out the bad/filler episodes.
Old 06-15-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
1. I'm seriously going to miss Glenn Close. She was a fantastic character, both strong and flawed. I don't even like Ms. Close as an actress normally, but she was fantastic here.
Big agreement on that!

2. Did we ever get the results of Shane's lie detector? I don't remember hearing if he was cleared? Did they just not bother giving it to him, since Army refused to take it? And what happened to him... he said they couldn't punish him for refusing to take the lie detector. Did he quit?
would like to have had those things answered also. Another thing that maybe I missed along the season but what happened to Shanes wife and kid?? Seems she was addicted to something and all strung out. Last few episodes I dont remember heading anything about her and in the finale they said Shane might be on his 5th or 6th by time something happens and he just laughs like he isnt married anymore.

3. I love Ronnie. I'm glad they've got him talking more, compared to Season 1, where he was the mute.
yeah but he still needs to speak up more, still seems to just follow along and not talk too much
Old 06-15-05, 04:08 PM

I don't love/hate Ronnie, it's hard to make a connection with him when he's given a sentence of dialogue a month. Part of me thinks the writers keep him around and give him so little to say just so you think he might die in any shootout. I know I though he was doomed when Armadillo got him.
Old 06-15-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Metrodub
My DVR cut out right at 11 while
Spoiler:
the crew was at the bar
. Did anything happen after that?
For me it was maybe even worse. I set my DVR for the 11pm repeat and it STARTED on that scene (from the end of the 10pm show) then cut out before that scene came around again. I wound up with a disjointed viewing.
Old 06-15-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't love/hate Ronnie, it's hard to make a connection with him when he's given a sentence of dialogue a month. Part of me thinks the writers keep him around and give him so little to say just so you think he might die in any shootout. I know I though he was doomed when Armadillo got him.
Me too (wrt Armadillo).

That's part of why I like him so much, I guess. He went through this horrific scarring with Armadillo, but he's seemed like such a light-hearted/quirky character. I probably would have turned surly if it had happened to me.
Old 06-15-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
I think Shane's lie detector test will come into play next season. If you think about it, they could pick up a few days after the close of this season, with the addition of the new Captain and the further investigation of the Strike Team.
Old 06-15-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Manco
As they say on The Wire..."Murder STAYS murder."
Indeed.

I need to watch The Wire soon. I have heard great things about it.

Today, my mind seems to be mostly on who the next captain will be. I hope they stay away from famous actors unless they have an angle as outstanding as Monica was. I don't know why I worry, though -- this show has yet to disappoint me. If it is the last season, I hope SR has another great show idea in him and that we get to see it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.