TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fire Me, Please

Old 06-07-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone see this? I couldn't watch it all. It was horrible. I can't see it lasting very long.
Old 06-07-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
i thought it was funy.
the girl at the clothing store was god.

the coffee guy hitting on customers and throwing paper wads at stcked up cups was god stuff.
How does this show relate to religion?
Old 06-07-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Perhaps I was in the right mood tonight, but I thought it was pretty funny. The laugh track was annoying, but some of the shit they did was pretty clever. I imagine the "contestants" have had experience acting or with improv or something, and this is clearly not a reality show and is only marginally a game show. As mentioned, it's just a spin on Candid Camera, but it made me laugh.

das
Old 06-08-05, 12:32 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It felt more like one of the better MTV shows (like Boiling Points) than a network show, but it was entertaining. I'm not sure it's something I'll watch religiously, but for the summer is a passable diversion.
Old 06-08-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kurt was cracking me up! "Ooh! Devil machine!"
The show's going to be hit and miss because the second half they proved you don't have to be funny to win. I'd bet Kurt is probably the best one they have for the entire run of the series and that's why they did his first.
Old 06-08-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
i actually thought it was decent. the laugh track annoyed me at first, but like someone said, it had the same feel as CC.

but this would definitely work better as a 30 minute show. and i'm sure it's only in prime-time now because NOTHING else is on.
Old 06-08-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was amazed at how much the so called managers would allow before finally firing the people. If I were the owner of any of these stores then I would demote any of those managers because its safe to say, they don't have what it takes. The show has to be fabricated somewhat because as a contestant, why risk getting fired early. All they have to do is plant the seed that you may not be a good employee and then with 30 mins left, go nutso. Why show your nuts 30 mins into the shift.
Old 06-08-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People won't fire you on the spot unless it builds to the point they can't take anymore. They'll do like that one lady and let you go home and then call you to tell you not to come back. To actually get fired at a precise moment, you'd need to have them on the edge of doing so and then go nuts. Otherwise, they may be in a forgiving mood or looking to avoid confrontation.

Of course, the "contestants" are obvious chosen based on their ability to string it out for good television and are likely instructed to do it in this manner, but it also makes some degree of sense. You said it yourself: you're amazed at how much they allowed before firing. It takes a lot to get vocally fired midway through your first day.

das
Old 06-08-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
People won't fire you on the spot unless it builds to the point they can't take anymore. They'll do like that one lady and let you go home and then call you to tell you not to come back. To actually get fired at a precise moment, you'd need to have them on the edge of doing so and then go nuts. Otherwise, they may be in a forgiving mood or looking to avoid confrontation.

Of course, the "contestants" are obvious chosen based on their ability to string it out for good television and are likely instructed to do it in this manner, but it also makes some degree of sense. You said it yourself: you're amazed at how much they allowed before firing. It takes a lot to get vocally fired midway through your first day.

das
I suppose your right. I think it depends on the type of boss. I know I've had some that would fire me on the spot for some of the things the 4 contestants did early in their day.
Old 06-08-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
The owners are in on the gag (and let them install cameras, etc), but the managers working during that shift do not.

The owners tell the manager that a new employee is starting--obviously the manager was not part of any "hiring process". I think that because the new staff comes directly from the owner, the managers are leery to make decisions without the owner... unles it gets really, really bad.
Old 06-08-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
This show should have been at most 30 minutes. During the second two contestants I fast forwarded to about 2 pm before watching the rest. Since they start slow and build up, there isn't much to see until towards the end anyway.

So for me anyway the premise became stale before the first show finished. I probably won't record it anymore. I just don't see what much else can happen. As someone said, it's like a spinoff of Candid Camera, but at least with Candid Camera they switched off the gags. Even though the managers are seeing these antics for the first time, the viewer has pretty much seen it all after the first show. It's a one-trick pony.
Old 06-08-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Moral of the story:

Being annoying won't get you fired immediately.

Being offensive towards customers or the boss will.

I liked this show. I think the unintentional comedy came out when the coffee shop guy went in to tell everyone they were part of a show and that one (ex) co-worker guy was about ready to beat his ass at first

I was expecting the New York firings to come quicker. I thought they didn't put up wiht shit back east.
Old 06-08-05, 03:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Do you think that because all of the "managers" were women - the time it took to be fired was longer. Just a hunch.

With the exception of the coffie shop - the other 3 stores were stores run and owned by women - with women employees. Women seem to be "non-confrontational" all nice to your face and bitchy behind your back. Therefore, there is a lot of footage of the contestant acting like an ass and you get countless hours of coworker dirty looks and chatter.

I would like to see how long a guy would last in a work place full of guys.
Old 06-08-05, 03:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I'd like to see on this show... plant really hot girls in comic book or role playing shops staffed completely by dorky guys. THAT would be a challenge to get fired.
Old 06-08-05, 03:40 PM

What if you just spent all day on DVDTalk.com, would that get you fired?
Old 06-08-05, 04:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
What I'd like to see on this show... plant really hot girls in comic book or role playing shops staffed completely by dorky guys. THAT would be a challenge to get fired.
That would be funny - but all she would have to do is say that she agrees with Greedo shooting first; That Jar Jar should have been in every SW movie and is more of a war hero than any Jedi; Jedi is her favorite movie because the ewocks are "sooo cute."

Crap like that would piss off comic book guy and lead to a quick firing.
Old 06-08-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by prayformojo
What if you just spent all day on DVDTalk.com, would that get you fired?
It hasn't gotten me fired and I spend a good 2/3 of my day surfing the internet. I'd say a good half of that is reading posts on here.
Old 06-09-05, 08:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not bad. The first half was a lot better because there was more variety in the stunts the contestants pulled. The second half just had the girls doing the same thing over and over.

This would be better if they dropped the whole "game show" aspect and used improvisational actors instead of regular people, like that MTV show where they go around trying to piss people off.
Old 06-09-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
This was horrible. I can't believe I actually made it through the first half before deleting. Perhaps the most annoying laugh track ever.
Old 06-09-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Boring. But the coffee shop guy was a riot. I loved the part where he decided to take away the customers' newspapers. One man refused, so the guy said, "I like your shirt. Does it come in men's?".
Old 06-09-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched this the first time without my wife and saved it on the Tivo for her because I found it good for a laugh during summer reruns.

She watched it tonight and I watched some of it with her but all I could think about was the annoying laugh track that you guys pointed out. I didn't even really notice it before.