Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dancing With the Stars

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank God there are some men calling in for this show. For a minute there, I thought the judges were going to be successful taking Kelly from my TV. That would have sucked, because I've got other things I'd rather do right now than hunt them all down and torture them. Good work, audience.

das
Old 06-09-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone watching this should be ashamed of themselves....
Old 06-23-05, 12:11 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
... tonight's ep was great.

on Rachel getting the boot!

Now we have John ( ), Joey ( ) and Kelly ( ) left.
Old 06-23-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't watch this show, but is it true the Attention Whore-ler-ette brought her "hubby" on the show because she was uncomfortable with where her dancing partner was touching her?
Old 06-23-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trista brought her husband along to her practice sessions because she was worried the dance she was performing was too racy. I thought that was silly myself.

Why should Rachel get the boot? She was one of the best dancers besides John. And that was only because she didn't get the audience's vote which is completely non-objective or have any logic other than popularity. I was bummed but not surprised. Come on! Joey and Kelly should have been kicked off.
Old 06-23-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was surprised that Joey or Kelly didn't get knocked off this week.
Old 06-23-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I never thought Rachel was all that "light" on her feet, she's just too tall for her partner. Anyhow, O'Hurley's gonna win, plus he's got a great dancing partner.
Old 06-23-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
The voting on this show is so stupid. The judges vote for this week goes along with the audience vote from last week? So who get kicke off is based on 2 performances?
Old 06-23-05, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Anyhow, O'Hurley's gonna win, plus he's got a great dancing partner.
You've got that right! (Although I'm not sure I want to see him in red spandex.)

to Kelly on keeping her composure despite the "wardrobe malfunction".

Although most of us wish she hadn't noticed.
Old 06-23-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
The gist of the judging as I take it is this:

From the total from the judges the couples are ranked 1 (low)-6 (high).

From the number of votes/calls, the couples are ranked 1 (low)-6 (high).

Those scores are added together and the lowest number is eliminated from the competition. In case of a tie, the one with the lowest audience vote is eliminated. For some odd reason, the audience votes numbers (like on American Idol) are not released to the public.
That's essentially right. The actual scoring system is here

They take the previous week's audience rankings (6-1) and add it to the current week's judge's rankings (6-1). Lowest combined score is gone. In a tie, audience rank breaks the tie. If that's also tied (very unlikely), the head judge (Len Goodman) makes the call.

Important note: The judge rankings are based on where they are on that week's leader board. It does not matter how many points they got, what matters is where they are relative to the other couples. All couples tied with the same number of points get the same (highest) ranking. For example, on week 1's show, the judge's scores were:

20 - Joes & Ashly, John & Charlotte, Rachael & Jonathan
18 - Evander & Edyta, Trista & Louis
13 - Kelly & Alec

All three of the lead couples tied for 1st, so they get 6 ranking points. The next two couples tied for 4th, so they get 3 ranking points. Kelly & Alec got 1 ranking point.

PS - As the number of couples reduces, so does the maximum ranking points -- so when four couples are in the competition, the maximum points is four, when three are left, the maximum is three, and so on.
Old 06-23-05, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the update kenbuzz... the wife explained it to me soon after I posted that.
Old 06-23-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the scoring system needs an overhaul. Scoring should at the very least be based on the same performance even if they have to combine judge's scores with audience scores. In a way, it's better than Idol where judges have no votes but I think most people know a good singer as opposed to a good dancer.

I heard this show is #1. I'm very surprised but I really look forward to this show each week. When it is likely to be renewed, I'd like to see more couples so that they could extend the series.
Old 06-29-05, 09:40 PM

Down to the final two couples:

Spoiler:
John/Charlotte and Kelly/Alec

Should be a good Finals.
Old 06-30-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For John O' Hurley to win or lose. His real competition was Rachel Hunter and she's gone. Kelly may get the popular vote like she probably has so far. She's on a hit soap for God's sake.
Old 06-30-05, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
For John O' Hurley to win or lose. His real competition was Rachel Hunter and she's gone. Kelly may get the popular vote like she probably has so far. She's on a hit soap for God's sake.
This is the dilema... John is the best dancer while Kelly is the more popular.

Next week, John and Charlotte win the Judges Vote:
2 -- John/Charlotte
1 -- Kelly/Alec
If Kelly and Alec win the Audience Vote:
2 -- Kelly/Alec
1 -- John/Charlotte
Total for the show:
2 + 1 = 3 -- John/Charlotte
1 + 2 = 3 -- Kelly/Alec
The advantage in the tie goes to the Audience Vote, so the advantage is for Kelly/Alec to win.

With the flawed voting system, John and Charlotte need to the Audience Vote to win, regardless of which couple dances better.

I called 4 times last night... that's the first time I've called.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-30-05 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-01-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Charlotte is da bomb, she is amazingly graceful, and so precise. When John and Charlotte dance, they are the couple that gives me the goose bumps from their performance. Alec and Kelly have come a long way, but Alec is carrying the team, though Kelly is feisty and works hard.
Old 07-01-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Charlotte is the most skilled dancer according to their credentials and titles won. So, I don't think the celebrities are all on the same playing field as far as that is concerned.
Old 07-06-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

7/6/05

O'Hurley and Charlotte should win, their last dance was fun to watch.

Kelly and Alec were on fire! That was like fiery combination of Latin dancing and gymnastics all rolled into 3 minutes of whirlwind dancing.

OMG! Three 10's for Kelly and Alec!

Last edited by Patman; 07-06-05 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 08:59 PM

Rigged!

Good grief, what a bitter taste. I huge surprise that an ABC 'star' won the show... on surprise, never before, all 10's. I assume Kelly and Alec also won the Internet vote, which means that John and Charlotte could have won with the judges and still lost (the Internet vote appears to be the tiebreaker).
Old 07-06-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I guess you could say that was a minor upset given how Kelly and Alec brought it home in their final dance to snatch a close win from O'Hurley and Charlotte. Wow!
Old 07-06-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Well, I guess you could say that was a minor upset given how Kelly and Alec brought it home in their final dance to snatch a close win from O'Hurley and Charlotte. Wow!
Nope. It was a flawed process.

O'Hurley was waaaaaay out front last week so voters didn't give a damn about voting for him, they voted to save the second place couple.

That simple folks.

So,

Now some of those people are sitting home realizing that it backfired on them and the best dancing couple didn't win.

Last edited by ctyankee; 07-06-05 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
It didn't backfire on the people sitting at home. It backfired on whoever decided on this stupid voting system. Who thought it was a good idea to base it on 50% of 2 seperate weeks.

The A.I. system works. Even if they wanted the judges votes to count then at least have the judges and audience vote on the same performance.
Old 07-06-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Kelly won! Time to break out her Playboy.
Old 07-06-05, 10:05 PM

We thought the series was a lot of fun to watch, but MAN -- was that RIGGED. We don't see a 10 the whole series.. Kelly needs a 30 to take the lead with the judges, and .. oh look .. what a coincidence.

As stated, this outcome was decided by last week's audience vote. Kelly wins the popular vote, being on a successful daily soap opera. Audience votes break any ties. So -- what are the 3 scenarios?

1) Kelly wins judges vote, Kelly wins audience vote -- Kelly wins title
2) Kelly and John tie judges vote, Kelly wins audience vote -- Kelly wins title
3) John wins judges vote, Kelly wins audience vote (and tiebreaker) -- Kelly wins title

So... no matter WHAT happened tonight, Kelly won -- period.

Obviously, it was going to take TOO much explaining by ABC to the general public to have John/Charlotte kick ass in the judges vote only to lose the overall title. So, might as well have a triple-10 give the judges decision to Kelly.

Anyways, we still liked the show -- but we're left with a ripped-off feeling like what happened in this last season's The Amazing Race.
Old 07-07-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even ABC had to put in a disclaimer about the voting process by directing viewers to their website. They need to change it next season. I guess the producers never expected this show to become such a big hit and so didn't feel the need or expense for a second show during the week to determine viewers votes and who gets the boot. Instead they decided to lump last weeks and current weeks votes together. Not logical at all.

As good as Kelly was at the end, she and her partner weren't consistent enough throughout the show to really deserve the award. They would not have made it past the early rounds if it was just the judge's votes. But at least they weren't terrible.
I could see that John and Charlotte were disappointed.

I wonder if the celebrities were compensated for appearing. Obviously, it didn't hurt to have some spotlight again.

Anyway, a great run. Lot of people having fun and it brings ballroom dancing in the spotlight. Looking forward to the next season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.