Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Contender Live 2 Hour Finale - 5/24/05

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
ESPN is airing it again Wednesday at 9pmEST/ 6pmPST.

Watch it for some spectacular fighting and some shockingly bad judging/reffing.

I'll disagree/agree. None of the fighting was too spectacular but the judging was certainly bad.
Old 10-19-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe spectacular is too strong. I do think that Alfonso dazzled, however. When I saw how serious Lopez looked I got worried but Alfonso is an impressive guy. He definitely gives it his all. He won the night, for me.

As I said in the other thread, you couldn't judge Sergio too well because of the eye injury. He barely got started and was basically blinded in one eye. It was a mess.
Old 10-24-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched the fights this weekend. That was the worse judging I've ever seen.

Those fights were DEFINATELY fixed. #1 Daddy was the CLEAR winner and I believe Manfredo was as well..

That is such crap.

After the Brinkly vs #1 Daddy fight Jesse even KNEW he lost by his facial expressions. Man, that is so frustrating.

I think that Peter was a CLEAR winner over Sergio as well. I love how when Sergio came over to hug Peter after the fight Peter said "You didn't win that fight."

I honestly don't know how fighters can accept wins like that. Sergio calling Peter a sore loser.. Comeon dude.. You lost and you know it. Fess up and say it..
Old 10-25-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
the judging was brutal. It was at least nice to hear the commentators call out the judges on their atrocious decisions. This reminded me of why I stopped following boxing after years of watching Muhammad Ali get his ass beat for 15 rounds and still get decisions handed to him (Jimmy Young, Ken Norton, Earnie Shavers).
Old 10-25-05, 01:43 PM

Well, it got great ratings for ESPN so they are already planning the next one.

Some interesting things I have read since the fight, Bonsante said ironically that the decision was probably the best thing to happen to him as he was booed entering the ring and left to cheers as a hero.

After that decision, Stallone burried his head in his hands and apparently turned and said to someone, "This could ruin everything". (This was in the ESPN colum 2 article).

Peter, in the post fight press conference, said that after the fight when Sergio came up to him, he just looked at him and said, "You won that fight?" and Sergio said, "Hell ya" and brused him off as you can see (this was said to laughs).

Also, I really liked Sergio the entire time, and really think he deserved to win the competition and he was very classy doing it...but whether or not he won this fight, the class was not there. In the post fight press he was making excuses "I had the flu, I couldn't train, I couldn't see because of the cut", etc. Also, they asked him about a rematch, specifially in Peter's home town, Providence, RI, since they fought in Sergio's and he responds with, "No, what do I need to fight him again for, I already beat him twice, etc." You beat him twice in a match that was extremely controversial where many people, not just die hard Manfredo supporters, think you lost.

I just really, really think they need to go to 12 rounders. I realize that can't be done for the show, and maybe even not the finale, but for something like this, it should have been done.

Here is the post fight press conference. Crappy video and sometimes hard to hear:
http://rapidshare.de/files/6752085/M...Fight.wmv.html
Old 10-25-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ovid
Well, it got great ratings for ESPN so they are already planning the next one.
FYI - As far as I know they were planning on having Contender 2 on ESPN way before these rematches.

I totally agree that it should be 12 round fights.. ESPECIALLY in the finals...

Mora knows he lost.. That's why he's being all defensive and making excuses for eveything..
Old 10-25-05, 05:43 PM

No, I meant they are planning another 'rematch' and event for Contender 1 participants that is rumored to be in Feburary. I know Contender 2 was already a done deal.
Old 10-25-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh... Sweet then!
Old 10-26-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Actually I remember being able to read Peter's lips after the fight and what he said to Sergio after the decision was announced was "No way you won that fight." You couldn't actually see Sergio's response, but I'll take Peter's word for it.

Also, I was thinking the same thing about Bonsante. When he came back out of the locker room to a standing ovation I thought that was very classy of the crowd to acknowledge his great performance.
Old 10-26-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Actually I remember being able to read Peter's lips after the fight and what he said to Sergio after the decision was announced was "No way you won that fight." You couldn't actually see Sergio's response, but I'll take Peter's word for it.
That is what I thought too.. That Peter said "No way you won that fight." But in the press conference he said that he said "Did you win that fight? Seriously? True champion to champion and he said" "Hell yea I won that fight".

Maybe he just really didn't remember what he said..
Old 10-26-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm dubbing some favorite shows off my DVR in anticipation of returning it and I rewatched Gomez-Manfredo II today. Man, what a fight. I know the editing ramps up the drama, but that has to have been the best fight of the show. Both fighters were just so incredibly driven and into it. A real battle. I hope season 2 can have moments like that.