Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hit Me Baby One More Time, on NBC: Premieres 6/2/05

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought AD and Tiffany sounded good. And Tiffany's two friends weren't bad either.
Old 06-02-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
It'll be cool to see The Knack. They were a pretty kick-ass band.

STRONG AGREEMENT

I don't care if it's cool to like them but they are tight. I've seen them four times and they were excellent each time.

I know several people that are going to the taping.
Old 06-02-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Tiffany was trying to hide some weight under those outfits. I can't believe she's only 32-I thought she looked like early 40's.

FoS did not sound good and only one original member. Oi.

But my favorite part was when the guy asked about the name of the band and he mentioned "The Stranglers". The host said they were a great band and Score agreed. They are in my top 5 bands of all-time and I was shocked to hear them mentioned in primetime TV.

CeCe had some cushion but looked okay. Don't really know her music or that of Arrested Development. I did not recognize either hit.

Loverboy sounded okay at best.

I taped the show and still haven't heard the cover version part of it.
Old 06-03-05, 02:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was desperately hoping for the show to be cancelled by 9:30 but it wasn't.

That host has to be the biggest tool on planet Earth.

I was looking forward to this after really liking bands reunited on VH-1.

I'll watch The Knack but I can't imagine this show lasting much longer...

Last edited by cracksky; 06-03-05 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-03-05, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I don't care if it's cool to like them but they are tight.
Coincidently, that's exactly how The Knack like their women girls.

Never gonna stop, give it up.
Such a dirty mind. Always get it up for the touch
of the younger kind. My my my i yi woo! M M M My Sharona...

Last edited by Roto; 06-03-05 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-03-05, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Mike Score coming out with his buddies doesn't count as AFOS to me.
His buddies? They were all 20 years younger than him and looked like they'd rather be in a metal band. Sad thing was that the only original member was the weakest part of the group. The original band should demand that he sells the name back to them.

Arrested Development fit right in with the whole "dirty south" sound. They're just the hippie version. They need to hurry up and get back out there before it goes out of style.
Old 06-03-05, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cracksky
That host has to be the biggest tool on planet Earth.
He reminds me of Robin Leach. I'M YELLING AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!
Old 06-03-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that the host was fine. I'm just glad that they didn't get some other generic host for it (Chris Harrison, Carson Daly, etc). I think that it is good they kept the original host (if that is in fact who the giant is).

Mike Score sounded horrible. Regardless of how the band sounded, he stunk up the joint.

I've listened to Tennessee this morning.
Old 06-03-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was the worst show I've ever seen.
Ever.
Shame on me for watching the entire hour.
Maybe I expected too much... maybe it shouldn't have
been aired so close after Idol.
Horrible.
The misfits from Idol sound better.
An hour of my life gone.
Shame on me.
Old 06-03-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More awful than the show is the love for Tiffany in this thread. Yikes. Total head scratcher there. Agreed this show was incredibly cheesy. Of course, I'll watch again just to see what these people look like today! I was really surprised how bad Loverboy's lead looked. I really like the idea of older bands getting back together for a quick moment... but Bands Reunited is a much better idea than this very rushed show.

Wasn't that surprised that AFOS was a bit off. Their schtick has always been to sound kind of cold in the first place (I love their first two albums). I think the right group won last night.
Old 06-03-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hate the host, but the show is great (terribly great). I loved watching these old folks perform their old songs. I was hoping around my house singing the classics and annoying my wife.

Look forward to next week. Going through summer TV withdraw.
Old 06-03-05, 07:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Where'd they get that host? Was there a seperate show called "Smarmiest Guy Ever"?

As for the performances:

Tiffany had the best "classic hit" (and I'm not even a fan)

Arrested Development had the best "cover" (again, not a fan)

Apparently the soundstage they use doubles as a nursing home, since there was some random old guy in a rocking chair on stage with Arrested Development.
Old 06-03-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

Apparently the soundstage they use doubles as a nursing home, since there was some random old guy in a rocking chair on stage with Arrested Development.
I guess you weren't a "fan" of AD since the old man is part of the group.

Interesting premise but the execution was far from perfect. I will be watching it next week though.
Old 06-03-05, 08:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I guess you weren't a "fan" of AD since the old man is part of the group.
I figured that out. Hey, anybody got a band and need a "Rocking Chair Sitter"? I'm qualified to fill that position!
Old 06-03-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Wow, this was bad. Exactly what I expected - a trainwreck. Flock and Loverboy were particularly horrid.

They should really cut down to 4 bands because they don't even play complete songs. Flock didn't even get to the instrumental part of I Ran.

CeCe was the best IMO (partly due to the fact that I never liked AD), but she had an advantage - she hasn't been a has-been for as long as most of the others. They should put a cut-off on the competiton: any artist with a hit from 1990-on is ineligible.
Old 06-03-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Dog

They should really cut down to 4 bands because they don't even play complete songs.
More like, "they sould extend it to 10 bands, so they don't play the complete songs."

das
Old 06-03-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by das Monkey
More like, "they sould extend it to 10 bands, so they don't play the complete songs."

das

But I wanted to see more wreckage when they got to the instrumental part.

After watching this, it amazes me that people can watch 2 hours of American Idol per week. I found myself listening to the covers for about 30 seconds and then jumping to the next 'artist.'
Old 06-03-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While it's no justification, the odd reality is that the performances in the latter stages of American Idol are often better than the "professionals" we witnessed last night. Also, as a point of reference, there's only about 7 seconds of actual singing in a 2-hour episode of American Idol anyway. No show in the history of television is padded with more fluff.

das
Old 06-03-05, 09:02 AM

OMG ... what an hilarious trainwreck that is sure to destroy any chance of a comeback for these artists (save AD). Aside from AD, these people butchered their hit songs. Even stranger, their covers sounded better than their actual hits. Wow. It's funny to think that most of the performances in the latter stages of American Idol were better than this. Kudos to Arrested Development, though. They sounded good on both songs and actually seemed like passable musicians. Everyone else should be lucky to get a karaoke gig.

das
Precisely. Arrested Development made everyone else look silly. Actually Tiffany didn't sound *that* bad, but she had the distinction of having written neither song that she performed. AFOS made me sad, they were actually pretty good at one point.

Oh well, AD seems to still have it. Props to them!
Old 06-03-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While it's no justification, the odd reality is that the performances in the latter stages of American Idol are often better than the "professionals" we witnessed last night. Also, as a point of reference, there's only about 7 seconds of actual singing in a 2-hour episode of American Idol anyway. No show in the history of television is padded with more fluff.

das
Yes, if they really wanted to up the humiliation for these bands they should force them to do a three minute Ford commercial.
Old 06-03-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jadzia

Yes, if they really wanted to up the humiliation for these bands they should force them to do a three minute Ford commercial.
I think I'd pay to watch these aging has-beens do one of those "hip" Ford or Coke commercials.

das
Old 06-03-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by megashock5
Oh well, AD seems to still have it. Props to them!

I don't what 'it' is, but if 'it' implies talent, I'll disagree that they have 'it' - then or now.
Old 06-03-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show is so poorly produced, it's a shame. What a horrible production, from the on-screen graphics to the editing to the host. I dunno. I'd like to see some of the acts interpret new songs but I can't watch this wreck.

AD did do very nicely. I wish the show would have them do another song for the playout, however. "People Everyday" or "Mr. Wendell" would have been good. Oh well.

What I really want to see is Living Colour (who are very much still around) doing "Toxicity" or something like that.
Old 06-03-05, 09:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The most disappointing part for me was the competition/"prize" aspect of it. A donation to charity? Of only $20,000? What is this, a 1985 episode of Celebrity Jeopardy? Plus they hype this as a competition, but on the actual show they play that element down to an afterthought. "Oh yeah, we have to have a winner, huh?" It was entertaining, but I can kinda see why it's only three episodes now.
Old 06-03-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
The most disappointing part for me was the competition/"prize" aspect of it. A donation to charity? Of only $20,000? What is this, a 1985 episode of Celebrity Jeopardy? Plus they hype this as a competition, but on the actual show they play that element down to an afterthought. "Oh yeah, we have to have a winner, huh?" It was entertaining, but I can kinda see why it's only three episodes now.
I thought it seemed mean tomake them donate the prize to charity. Come on, these people probably haven't seen a royalty check in years!

My husband was snickering at Mike Score's rock-skank wife. I guess there goes Eddie Murphy's theory about singers getting all the hot women.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.