Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Network Upfront Week (2005-06 network schedule announcements), May 16-19

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe they're keeping two shows they know are winners off the schedule (Scrubs & Fear Factor) ...in case some of their new ones fail ...they've got proven stuff to replace it versus starting a bunch of winners against everyone else's stuff and wait to see what happens and what can replace what and where....ok I'm done rambling..not that I typed that I'm not sure it makes sense ..
Old 05-16-05, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I was going to be upset about Scrubs not being on the schedule, but then I realized that with the crap NBC is shovelling out there, they'll have holes in their schedule by Week 3 of the season at the latest.

And NBC -- if you don't want the West Wing any more, just cancel it. Don't move it to a death slot.
Old 05-16-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
And NBC -- if you don't want the West Wing any more, just cancel it. Don't move it to a death slot.

I don't think Sunday at 8 is necessarily a death-slot. If they really wanted to kill it via scheduling, they could have moved it up an hour or put it on later Sunday night, or Friday.

Regardless, it does makes Sunday even stronger IMO.
Old 05-16-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news about The Office.
Old 05-16-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I hate the fact that Scrubs is being held off for a while, perhaps it will come in at the beginning of the year and we'll get a full, uninterrupted season.

E-Ring might be decent, 'though it doesn't sound like anything special. Nor does Fathom, or Inconceivable for that matter. Hopefully, they're full of surprises.

Also, very glad to see The Office coming back. And, while not great, Joey has managed to improve a good deal since it's debut, so here's hoping. "ER" is always a welcome part of my TV watching, and I just hope it manages to stay decent with it's recent loss.

My Name Is Earl has limited potential, much as I enjoy Jason Lee.

(Also, while I mourn the loss of "Committed", the star of the show (Josh Cooke - Nathan) will be on "Four Kings" as a title character. So, he's still on NBC, 'though how good the show will be is entirely questionable.)
Old 05-16-05, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't think Sunday at 8 is necessarily a death-slot. If they really wanted to kill it via scheduling, they could have moved it up an hour or put it on later Sunday night, or Friday.

Regardless, it does makes Sunday even stronger IMO.
Opposite Desperate Housewives, the Simpsons, and whatever HBO's got? It smells like a death slot to me.

Edit: Wait a minute -- is Desperate Housewives on at 8 or 9? Between the fact that prime time starts an hour earlier on Sundays and the fact that I TiVo everything anyway, I can never keep track of what's on when.
Old 05-16-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Opposite Desperate Housewives, the Simpsons, and whatever HBO's got? It smells like a death slot to me.

DH is on at 9.

WW is scheduled for 8.

Simpsons is not a top-20 show.
Old 05-16-05, 11:44 AM
Suspended

DH is on at 9.

WW is scheduled for 8.

Simpsons is not a top-20 show.
OK -- so I can TiVO West Wing and DH in one room, the Sunday night Fox lineup in another, catch the HBO shows when they re-air during the week, and tell my wife that she's not allowed to watch Extreme Makeover any more. Got it!
Old 05-16-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pissed about Eyes since they really didn't give it a chance.
Old 05-16-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sucks that 8 simple rules didnt get renewed...... David Spade was hilarious on the show
Old 05-16-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
sucks that 8 simple rules didnt get renewed...... David Spade was hilarious on the show
Is this a fact or do we have to wait until tomorrow to find out from ABC?

I guess I was one of the few people watching this show and it kind of sucks that it ended in a cliffhanger.
Old 05-16-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll wait until I see the actual schedule announcment tomorrow before I concede it is canned, but I agree. 8SR rebounded very nicely this season. I think it is better post-John Ritter than it was with John Ritter. It is one of the few comedies that is funny and watchable.
Old 05-16-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read it somewhere else but don't remember where that this show was getting canned. Maybe I will find the site I read that and I will post it here.
Old 05-16-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll wait until I see the actual schedule announcment tomorrow before I concede it is canned, but I agree. 8SR rebounded very nicely this season. I think it is better post-John Ritter than it was with John Ritter. It is one of the few comedies that is funny and watchable.
I agree with you that the show was much better post-John Ritter. The additions of James Garner and David Spade brought a different dimensions to the show that was lacking in the beginning and it made it better.
Old 05-16-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I'm pissed about Eyes since they really didn't give it a chance.
ABC hasn't released their schedule...yet.
Old 05-16-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by B.A.
Another thing I noticed - next season will be Jack & Karen's last. First time I heard that.
OH NO. Are we going to have to sit through a year of promos counting down [in a dramatic voice, of course] the end of this show?
Old 05-16-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The number of side discussions on renewal information is starting to ramp up. Can we make this thread a temp sticky?
Old 05-16-05, 01:05 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MvRojo
If this is accurate, then there is nothing I'm majorly hurt to see go. The only real disappointments for me are:

"committed"
"contender, the"
"tru calling"

And those were all pretty much a given.

There's still CBS, but everything I watch on there is pretty much a big ratings getter.
Old 05-16-05, 01:09 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
OH NO. Are we going to have to sit through a year of promos counting down [in a dramatic voice, of course] the end of this show?
And slo-mo promos with sappy music and scenes of people hugging and crying. "The TV Event of the Year..."
Old 05-16-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
NBC's scheduling shows little continuity though it is better than before. They say they are doing bold things but I don't see it. There are only three new dramas and one is on Fridays. Their lone new comedy is asked to anchor Tuesdays at 8pm for an already weak The Office leadout. The Apprentice on back to back nights? They have holes everywhere but switching West Wing to Sunday against cold case, Extreme Makeover HE, and Simpsons (probably) during their transition season sounds precarious. I think Fear Factor is highly diluted due to syndication and Scrubs though very good is also a weak ratings cog. NBC IMO is where ABC was a few seasons ago when ABC relayed too much on Who wants to be a millionaire. This time, NBC is relaying too much on aging shows and the L&O franchise sans LO:TBJ. I don't think I will be watching too much of NBC.
Old 05-16-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr...=20050516fox03

FOX DOES MORE TIME WITH "ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT," ORDERING A FULL THIRD SEASON

FOX gets ARRESTED again. The network has ordered a third full season of the Emmy Award-winning comedy series ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, it was announced today by Peter Liguori, President, Entertainment for Fox Broadcasting Company.

"ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT is one of the best comedies on television. The decision to order another season becomes easy when you consider its amazing cast, creative brilliance, critical acclaim and advertiser appeal," said Liguori. "It's my first official pick-up since taking the job, and I think it's a great way to start."

The critically acclaimed series revolves around Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman), the good son who must run the family business and continue to pick up the pieces as he keeps his offbeat family from falling apart. The comedy has featured guest appearances by numerous stars including Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Liza Minnelli, Heather Graham and Ben Stiller. Last year, the show received five Emmy Awards for Outstanding Comedy Series, Writing, Directing, Casting and Editing. Additionally, Jason Bateman won a Golden Globe for Outstanding Actor in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy Series and the show was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards for Outstanding Musical or Comedy Series. This past season, the cast was nominated for a SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series. The show was also named an AFI Program of the Year and received the Critics' Choice Award for Best Comedy, among other accolades.

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT is produced by Imagine Television and 20th Century Fox Television. Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, David Nevins and Mitch Hurwitz are executive producers
Old 05-16-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, that sounds pretty official to me.

I would suggest fans of AD write letters to FOX thanking them for renewing it. Given the poor ratings (in a decent timeslot), they certainly weren't compelled to do so. They probably only get letters in advance pleading for renewal and hate mail for cancelling cult hits.
Old 05-16-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I would suggest fans of AD write letters to FOX thanking them for renewing it. Given the poor ratings (in a decent timeslot), they certainly weren't compelled to do so. They probably only get letters in advance pleading for renewal and hate mail for cancelling cult hits.

Or perhaps we could send 'em to Jack
Old 05-16-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks

"ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT is one of the best comedies on television. The decision to order another season becomes easy when you consider its amazing cast, creative brilliance, critical acclaim and advertiser appeal," said Liguori. "It's my first official pick-up since taking the job, and I think it's a great way to start."
Since when does ranking 96th become an advertiaser appeal? Gives me chills how many awards and nominations this show has raked in and still can't pull the viewers. What is wrong with people?

I agree on thanking fox. Anyone have an email or address anywhere?
Old 05-16-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally! Great news about Arrested Development.

Fair is Fair and a thank you note is warranted for this move by Fox as long as they don't pull a "Tru Calling" scenario here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.