Reload this Page >

"Eyes" pulled off schedule for rest of May

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-06-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABC has pulled the plug on its private-eye drama "Eyes" for the remainder of May sweeps, a victim of lackluster ratings.

The series, which stars Tim Daly ("Wings," "The Fugitive") as the head of a high-tech risk management/private investigation agency, was never planned to make it through the entire month. The network had previously scheduled schedule-bending, two-hour episodes of its Wednesday-night companions, "Alias" and "Lost," for the last two weeks of the season.

It was bumped Wednesday (May 4) for the "Primetime Live" special on "American Idol." Now comes word that next week, ABC has slotted a one-time-only airing "Supernanny" for the 10 p.m. ET Wednesday slot. The special will check back in with some of the families nanny Jo Frost has visited over the course of the season.

Despite a good amount of critical praise, "Eyes" struggled to attract an audience in its five weeks on the air, averaging only about 7.1 million viewers per week in a timeslot that's long been a weakness for ABC. The show it replaced, "Wife Swap," drew an average of 9.3 million people earlier in the season.

There's no word yet on whether the network plans to air any of the remaining episodes; 13 have been filmed.
Link

Crap
Old 05-06-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn! I was wondering why my ReplayTV didn't record it on Wednesday night. I went looking to watch it last night and nothing new was recorded.

I was really enjoying this show. I really hope they don't pull it completed. It has a lot of potential.
Old 05-06-05, 09:09 AM

Dammit.
Old 05-06-05, 09:24 AM

Crap.

I really liked this show. Tim Daly was great as Harlan Jud(d?).
Old 05-06-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, there you are.

Old 05-06-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it figures. my most enjoyable new show this season.
Old 05-06-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
while according to Jim and America's funniest home video is renewed... Yeah, you folks really need to realize that Fox isn't the only one who fucks over decent shows.
Old 05-06-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is anyone here actually surprised by this?
Old 05-06-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
A new show I actually enjoy being replaced by something called Supernanny? No, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 05-06-05, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
As someone who doesn't follow ratings, yes. Eyes has been great television, and following the powerhouse of Lost, I'm honestly surprised that more aren't tuning in.
Old 05-06-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if this would do better in ratings as a summer show?
Old 05-06-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I wonder if this would do better in ratings as a summer show?
I think Fox is trying to go with year-round programming, but I haven't heard ABC taking much of a plunge in that direction. I'm sure we'll get the "burn-off" episodes during the summer, but I doubt it'll be much more than that.
Old 05-06-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
it figures. my most enjoyable new show this season.
Same here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - fuckers.
Old 05-06-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I am so glad I never started watching this.

My girlfriend's not gonna be happy, though. Every Wednesday, we'd have this conversation:

(Once Alias was over, as i'm grabbing my stuff to bring to the radio station)

"How come you don't watch this?"

"Because I have to go DJ, duh"

"Well, why don't you tape it?"

"Because the i'm Replay'n Law & Order"

"Why don't you use either of the VCRs? I can't believe you don't want to watch this show."

(Me slamming the door)

Thanks ABC!
Old 05-06-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope ABC comes to it's senses and tries to grow an audience for this show as it is the best new show I have seen since Lost/Desperate Housewives. Can't believe ABC made three good programming decisions. All three need to stay on the schedule.
Old 05-06-05, 01:05 PM

See, this is why I find it so hard to get into a new scripted series!
Old 05-06-05, 03:05 PM
Cool New Member

Since ratings are determined by 1200 Nielsen families and these days the fate of new shows is normally decided by their first three to four weeks' ratings, no one should be surprised by this announcement. Unfortunately, this is the price we have to pay for watching advertisers-supported TV programs. The networks really don't care about what viewers think as long as they get good ratings.
Old 05-06-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This really really sucks. It's such a good show with such potential. Damn you ABC!
Old 05-06-05, 03:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the first two and have the rest still recorded. I figured going up against Law & Order and CSI:NY the ratings wouldn't be very good and ABC would pull the plug so I've been in no hurry to watch them and get attached to it. Looks like I can delete them now.
Old 05-06-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

God damn it. Last year I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up, but this year ABC has found and renewed Lost, Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal, and Grey's Anatomy. Granted they axed Life as we know it, which I truly enjoyed, but Eyes was damn funny and entertaining. Damn it all. This bites.
Old 05-06-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

stupid ABC ...this show was great..
Old 05-06-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I heard good things about this, but wound up deleting all the episodes unwatched from my TiVo because I was too far behind in my other shows and I was running out of room. I was hoping to catch reruns, but I guess it's not to be.
Old 05-06-05, 05:03 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
while according to Jim and America's funniest home video is renewed... Yeah, you folks really need to realize that Fox isn't the only one who fucks over decent shows.
Especially considering AD hasn't been and probably won't be cancelled.

As much as I liked Eyes, The Days and life as we know it were both better, so I definitely can't get too worked up about this.
Old 05-06-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was starting to like ABC again (after being pissed about cancelling "Sports Night" and saturating their network with "Millionaire"), but now they go and drop "Eyes" (essentially cancelling it) along with putting "Boston Legal" on hiatus until Fall.
Old 05-06-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the first three episodes, and have the next two lying around. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I thought it was at least enjoyable despite it being a bit too flashy and cheeky sometimes. I was hoping it would last a bit longer. Oh well, never understood the obsession the general public has with these dumb-me-down reality shows. I honestly can't stand watching any of them.

As an aside, does anyone know what's going to become of Blind Justice? I know ratings aren't good, but at least it's still going. I actually like Blind Justice a bit more than Eyes. I think it's interesting seeing how the blind cop has slowly gained the trust of his team and slowly patched things up with his life.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.