Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Howard Stern's E! Show...will it continue

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-05-05, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once he moves to satellite (new eps)? I haven't read anything saying either way.
Old 05-05-05, 09:15 PM
Banned by request

In theory, the satellite deal should not affect the E! show. However, I heard Stern talking about politicians trying to sweat E! into dropping the show.
Old 05-05-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Howard was talking the other day about how he and the E! people were going over the designs for the new studio. So, yeah, it's continuing.
Old 05-05-05, 10:11 PM
Political Exile

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad. I would rather have it on a network willing to show nudity.
Old 05-05-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
In theory, the satellite deal should not affect the E! show. However, I heard Stern talking about politicians trying to sweat E! into dropping the show.
Yeah, cause every politician is out to get Howard.

That is just his excuse to call in his show every day, which he has been doing for the past ten years or so.
Old 05-06-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When something is about to fail or end, Stern will blame it on some conspiracy instead of bad ratings etc. When Son of the Beach got cancelled, he said it was because the head of FX had it in for him, the his CBS show was cancelled, he blamed it on the head of CBS. If/when the E! show goes, he'll blame it on anything other than him failing.

D
Old 05-06-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd like it to move to a real channel too so they can show all the good stuff.
Old 05-06-05, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Derrich
When something is about to fail or end, Stern will blame it on some conspiracy instead of bad ratings etc. When Son of the Beach got cancelled, he said it was because the head of FX had it in for him, the his CBS show was cancelled, he blamed it on the head of CBS. If/when the E! show goes, he'll blame it on anything other than him failing.

D
Threadcrap much...?
Old 05-06-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If/when the E! show goes, he'll blame it on anything other than him failing.

D
Stern's E! show has been that network's highest rated show for years, so if it is taken off you can bet it'll have to do with something other than him failing.
Old 05-07-05, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Technically if it's on late enough at night they CAN show nudity, right? They just choose not to for the sponsors? Am I wrong?
Old 05-07-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i think it should stay on E. Putting him on HBO would mean he's on pay TV and pay radio.

Cheapasses like me need something free
Old 05-07-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'd like it to move to a real channel too so they can show all the good stuff.
Hell yeah,that would be awesome.No more blurred out T&A.
Old 05-07-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Hell yeah,that would be awesome.No more blurred out T&A.

do they still blur out girl on girl kissing? Or was that the CBS show?
Old 05-07-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

D
Ah, the typical ignorant basher.

Yeah, the ratings are the ultimate reason. But why are the ratings down? Gee, that would be because of these conservative asshats that keep censoring Stern and threatening the radio stations with fines, and making his show worse. You obviously don't listen to him, because he's said many a time that he thinks his show sucks compared to what it used to be.
Old 05-07-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange

Yeah, the ratings are the ultimate reason. But why are the ratings down? Gee, that would be because of these conservative asshats that keep censoring Stern and threatening the radio stations with fines, and making his show worse.
Ridiculous. When Stern is on sattellite and his ratings are still down, he will simply invent another bogeyman to blame it on. Mark my words. It's part of his schtick.
Old 05-07-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange

Yeah, the ratings are the ultimate reason. But why are the ratings down? Gee, that would be because of these conservative asshats that keep censoring Stern and threatening the radio stations with fines, and making his show worse. You obviously don't listen to him, because he's said many a time that he thinks his show sucks compared to what it used to be.
It is not ignorant, it is the truth.

Stern's show has been downhill since at least 1995 or 1996, way before the recent FCC crackdown. He has been mailing the show in for years now and the whole Nipplegate gave him a nice little excuse to finally admit it. Yes, what Clear Channel did to him was wrong but contrary to what Howard likes to rant and rave about, it was not some George Bush conspiracy. Get over yourself already Howie. But that is the problem, he can't get over himself. The guy is the biggest self-involved asshole and it doesn't help matters when he has all kinds of untalented yes-men next to him (read: Robin Quivers and Gary Dell'Abate).

I can't wait until Sirius realizes that they committed a half billion to a guy who is a shadow of his former self (which was a pioneer of the art form that is talk radio) and who just doesn't have it anymore.

As for the television show, I used to watch it all the time but that fell off too once I finally stopped listening to the radio show. There is only so much contradictory babbling you can take.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, according to Marksfriggin (the best Stern recap site ever) he was at the Sirius studio recently and mentioned something about studio size and how it would work for E! so I'm guessing he plans on keeping the show. Provided, of course, that the nasty politicians don't ruin Stern's little fantasyland.

Last edited by Steam; 05-07-05 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-07-05, 06:05 PM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
People still watch Howard Stern? That dude is so irrelevant it boggles...
Old 05-07-05, 06:59 PM

What a dumbass thing to say.
Old 05-07-05, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by AeroStone
People still watch Howard Stern? That dude is so irrelevant it boggles...
Since when was a little goofy entertainment supposed to be "relevant"?

One problem I have with him is how unmotivated he is sometimes, I guess it can happen when you get that successful - even though he is always either trying to act like he isn't as rich as he is, or talks like his lifestyle is the norm. He'll talk up some idea and not follow through with it, and sticks with the lame-ass E! channel even though they don't give him much respect - despite his giving them a show which draws a bunch of people (like me) who would filter E! out of their channel lists otherwise. I don't listen to the show because I think he is someone I should emulate or look up to, though, it just makes me laugh - often.
Old 05-08-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Howard seems to be pre-occupied with other things outside of the show (His new cartoon coming out next fall, other works in development). Also, I don't find him to be the "Every man" that he once seemed to be. Even though I think he tries not to, hob-knobbing with celebrities and dating a model definitely comes through on the air. He talks about stuff now that he used to make fun of people for.

But I think the real problem with the show these days is the cast of characters around him. Robin, Fred, Baba-Boey & Jackie/Artie have and always will be pivotal parts of the show. But deutche-bags like Ronnie the Limo Driver, Sal the Stock-broker, Ralph and Benji add nothing to the show when they are on the air. They're unlikeable, unfunny attention whores, and I usually change the channel when they're on.

Still, I've tried listening to guys like Don & Mike and Opie & Anthony, and they can't touch the Stern show, even in its current state.
Old 05-08-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
Still, I've tried listening to guys like Don & Mike and Opie & Anthony, and they can't touch the Stern show, even in its current state.
Personally, I'm offended that you include Opie & Anthony in with (and after for that matter) the two hacks that are Don & Mike. Infinity tried to syndicate them and they BOMBED. O&A, on the other hand, did very well for themselves in a number of markets before their untimely cancellation.

Ralph, Benji, etc aren't funny but the worst was Crazy Cabbie. He contributed nothing but was a major part of the show for long stretches of the time. It was ponderous.
Old 05-08-05, 01:26 AM

What I want to know is what happens to the show when Sirius goes down for the count.

Hoo-Hoo I invented cancelled shows Robin.
Old 05-08-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
do they still blur out girl on girl kissing? Or was that the CBS show?

Must have been the CBS show.They never blur that out on E!.
Old 05-08-05, 04:23 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Must have been the CBS show.They never blur that out on E!.
They used to.
Old 05-08-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
They used to.

I never understood that. A kiss censored?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.