Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Palau - S10 Ep8 - 04/07/2005

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bub2000
For some reason, the infrared light turns the camera into xray specs. The night vision shots have been blurred for a while now.
I remember reading a while ago you could do this with the old Sony Handicams that have nightvision. I think you need the nighvision mode, a UV filter (or some other filter) and the extra infrared light.
yes, I read about that too. I am pretty sure the government forced a recall on all those cameras. Unless you purchased it with cash, you were required to return it to be "fixed". I didn't know about needing additional equipment to get the "x-ray" though.
Old 04-22-05, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by BDLOU
I also do not believe the challenges are thought up and pre-determined. They do everything as they go on this show to get the most interest.
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but this is the first chance I've had to come back to it. I apologize in advance if I'm beating a dead horse.

How can you honestly believe that they come up with these challenges on the fly? Think of all the logistics involved in building these sets. They are all in remote locations, so it's not like you can truck the materials in, they have to come in by boat probably. Each one will have to be designed by a team of engineers, play tested a few times to iron out the kinks, determine where the best camera placement will be, and I can't imagine what else. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these sets took as long as 4 weeks to get ready. Yeah, I know some of them are easy, like the mental ones, those might be done a in a day or two, but the physical ones are extremely complex, and will take a lot of time in design, construction, and test. To think they can just throw one up within 3 days to maintain or change a story line isn't credible.
Old 04-22-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by shaggybrown
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but this is the first chance I've had to come back to it. I apologize in advance if I'm beating a dead horse.

How can you honestly believe that they come up with these challenges on the fly? Think of all the logistics involved in building these sets. They are all in remote locations, so it's not like you can truck the materials in, they have to come in by boat probably. Each one will have to be designed by a team of engineers, play tested a few times to iron out the kinks, determine where the best camera placement will be, and I can't imagine what else. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these sets took as long as 4 weeks to get ready. Yeah, I know some of them are easy, like the mental ones, those might be done a in a day or two, but the physical ones are extremely complex, and will take a lot of time in design, construction, and test. To think they can just throw one up within 3 days to maintain or change a story line isn't credible.
With enough people and a plan, they have shown you can build a house in an hour, so I think it is possible to do it very quickly if the need is there. I personally think the challenges are thought up and built before the game starts, however. I do think they may pick and choose them depending on how the game is going to manipulate the game. That's just smart business. There may even be some that are built and not used.
Old 04-22-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shaggybrown

As cdollaz said, they have probably hundreds of ideas and the resources to build anything they need. They use the one that will be best for the time. The show is good because they manipulate it. They change things as they go and get the best out of the contestants. This is evident by Probst's actions last night. He basically talked Janu into quiting.