Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Desperate Housewives -- "There Won't Be Trumpets" -- 04.03.2005

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Bree and Rex have officially reconciled, but they are moving towards thyat. She agreed to let him stay so she could take care of while he is sick, but I think she has liked keeping up appearances. Since then, I think they have gotten closer.This epiosode, especially, when Rex defends her to Andrew, you can telll she is starting to forgive him. I think their reconciliation has been unspoken and gradual.
Old 04-04-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Even if that is true, it is sloppy writing. She doesn't have standing to bring suit; he does. Now if the hospital is paying her to keep silent 'under the table,' okay, but a hospital would not be stupid enough to do that.
There IS no suit. The hospital offered Gabby an immediate pay out to avoid a lawsuit.

She was asking their lawyer if the government coud confiscate THAT money if she tried to get it from the hospital PRIOR to Carlos accepting to the plea bargain. Until he accepts the plea bargain, his assests/income can still be confiscated. Once he accepts the plea bargain, the case is settled and no further penalties against the Solices can be charged. So once Carlos accepts the plea bargain (and therefore goes to JAIL as part of that agreement), Gabby can tell the hospital she will accept their payoff instead of going for malpractice litigation.

Frankly she could get TONS more money from the hospital than that, but she needs the dough now - not after a long litigation trial (including exhuming her mother-in-law).
Old 04-04-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
There IS no suit. The hospital offered Gabby an immediate pay out to avoid a lawsuit.

She was asking their lawyer if the government coud confiscate THAT money if she tried to get it from the hospital PRIOR to Carlos accepting to the plea bargain. Until he accepts the plea bargain, his assests/income can still be confiscated. Once he accepts the plea bargain, the case is settled and no further penalties against the Solices can be charged. So once Carlos accepts the plea bargain (and therefore goes to JAIL as part of that agreement), Gabby can tell the hospital she will accept their payoff instead of going for malpractice litigation.

Frankly she could get TONS more money from the hospital than that, but she needs the dough now - not after a long litigation trial (including exhuming her mother-in-law).

Of course there is no suit. The point is that her releasing the hospital from liability is worthless to the hospital. Her signature on a release means nothing. She doesn't have standing to bring a suit in the first place. It is not her right to waive. Carlos could still sue the hospital for their negligence.
Old 04-04-05, 11:43 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carlos would have to know about it first.
Old 04-04-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MrE
Carlos would have to know about it first.

Right, which is exactly why I wondered whether the hospital was making a side deal with Gabrielle to keep quiet since legally, her signature on a release means zip. That would be pretty stupid though.

edit: now, perhaps, when Carlos goes to prison, she may have his power of attorney. That's the only way it makes any sense.
Old 04-04-05, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Right, which is exactly why I wondered whether the hospital was making a side deal with Gabrielle to keep quiet since legally, her signature on a release means zip. That would be pretty stupid though.

edit: now, perhaps, when Carlos goes to prison, she may have his power of attorney. That's the only way it makes any sense.
This whole thing confused me too. And I couldn't decide if it was lazy writing or something else. Why would the hospital call Gabrielle down to accept their payoff when Carlos is the next of kin? It doesn't make sense. It's not like Gabrielle knew what happened at the hospital. No one told her that mama fell down the steps. The only thing I can figure is that Carlos wasn't allowed to go to the hospital since he is/was on house arrest. You would still think that the hospital would want his signature, and not hers, though. I hope they clear this up in one of the next few eps.
Old 04-04-05, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by starseed
Did anyone else notice the bit of changed dialogue during the walk to the crypt?
Spoiler:
Bree says to Lynette, "You have to hand it to Gabby and Carlos, they can grieve better than anyone" when her mouth obviously says, "You have to hand it to the Catholics, they can grieve better than anyone."
Spoiler:
Even Lynette's line was changed, I think. I watched the scene again, and her, "What a voice," comment sounds overly dubbed and doesn't quite match her mouth. I can't figure out what was originally said, though. Perhaps when the DVD comes out in September, I'll find out (I'm a sucker when it comes to pointless trivia like this...)
Old 04-04-05, 02:48 PM

I don't get why the hospital offered anything at all, as Gabrielle and Carlos had seemingly accepted at face value that she had just died in her sleep. There wasn't any indication that this had been questioned at all, or that anyone suspected any differently.
Old 04-04-05, 02:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by jjamesc
There wasn't any indication that this had been questioned at all, or that anyone suspected any differently.
Yes there was...when Gabrielle was asking the nurse about Mama's death. She wanted to know if the secret was given out, but the nurse and the hospital adminstrator intrepreted that as suspicions as to how mom actually died.

Thinking she was suspicious, and knowing that an investigation would destroy them, they made a pre-emptive strike offering her money before she looked further into the situation.
Old 04-04-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts
Glad to see Andrew finally get his come-uppance in a way, though it seems he will be back next week. I wanted to knock him out after the way he treated Bree; that was beyond cruel. I think that Gabby could disappear from this show and no viewers would truly miss that character. She really doesn't fit with the age group of the other wives, and her character is more or less superfluous. Besides, the way she is treating Carlos after all he doing for her is deplorable. He is trying to be honest and she seems to be reluctant to let him do so. Susan is fun, but in terms of her character every ep. is more or less a build up to her next prat fall. The scene with Marlee Matlin's daughter translating her rant was classic!
That said, when they hand out Emmy noms., it will be a travesty IMO if Felicity Huffman and Marcia Cross don't both get nominated and even moreso if one of them doesn't win. Huffman does a great job each week with the humor, and while Cross is funny at times with her anal retentiveness, her non-verbals reveal a woman in great pain and conflict. Both truly deserve something as they not only represent the show's humor, but its heart as well.
Old 04-04-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yes there was...when Gabrielle was asking the nurse about Mama's death. She wanted to know if the secret was given out, but the nurse and the hospital adminstrator intrepreted that as suspicions as to how mom actually died.

Thinking she was suspicious, and knowing that an investigation would destroy them, they made a pre-emptive strike offering her money before she looked further into the situation.
Is it possible that the hospital is settling with Gabby as they have pieced together what Mama Solis said to the nurse as before she died? Maybe they can hold that knowledge over Gabby's head in order to make sure Carlos doesn't sue...pre-emptive blackmail????

Interesting to see Bree and Rex making up.

How long before Susan(and the audience)actually find out what Mike has done?

Waiting for next week.
Old 04-04-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think that Gabby could disappear from this show and no viewers would truly miss that character. She really doesn't fit with the age group of the other wives, and her character is more or less superfluous. Besides, the way she is treating Carlos after all he doing for her is deplorable.
I wouldn't be able to say that. She seems to be filling the weekly requirement of lounging around in lingerie and various other states of undress.

However, I do agree that she's ugly...inside.
Old 04-04-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Gabrielle's new Farrah Fawcett hair-do.
Old 04-05-05, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She still looks good to me
Old 04-05-05, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure Gabrielle's promise to remain faithful will last the entire time.
Old 04-05-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I hate Gabrielle's new Farrah Fawcett hair-do.

I don't care for it either. I can't believe she did that.

I think that Gabby could disappear from this show and no viewers would truly miss that character.
I'm sure the male viewers would mind. I know I would.
Old 04-05-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only female character that I really like now is Lynette. Bree is too much of a headcase, Gabrielle is to conniving, and Susan is too much of a dolt.
Old 04-05-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cdoug57
Is it possible that the hospital is settling with Gabby as they have pieced together what Mama Solis said to the nurse as before she died? Maybe they can hold that knowledge over Gabby's head in order to make sure Carlos doesn't sue...pre-emptive blackmail????
The nurse was listening to music on headphones, she didn't hear Mama Solis' dying words.
Old 04-05-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The nurse was listening to music on headphones, she didn't hear Mama Solis' dying words.
Exactly. Nice to see demon freshman roomie Kathy Newman (Dagney Kerr Buffy S4) getting work again.
Old 04-05-05, 08:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Exactly. Nice to see demon freshman roomie Kathy Newman (Dagney Kerr Buffy S4) getting work again.
I knew she looked familiar! Nice catch.
Old 04-05-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
I'm sure Gabrielle's promise to remain faithful will last the entire time.
The question is who'll get more action while Carlos is in prison, him or his wife?
Old 04-05-05, 10:53 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gabby will get less...unless she gets a second boy toy.
Old 04-05-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Gaby is just heartless. Her husband isn't exactly a nice guy, but she's just evil. In the end he stepped up to do the honorable thing, and (from the looks of it) she plans on letting him go to jail still. What a bitch.
If he didnt go to jail the state would take the money.
Old 04-05-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see it was explained already. (and better too )

Last edited by joltaddict; 04-05-05 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrE
Gabby will get less...unless she gets a second boy toy.
You obviously did not watch next week's previews!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.