Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DRAGONS - Animal Planets "documentary"

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 08:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
DRAGONS - Animal Planets "documentary"

Did anyone see this last night - of course Animal Planet will be repeating this all this week.

I thought it was fantastic, a faux documentary in the style of "Walking with Dinosaurs". Interestingly, it was the same SFX company that did the special effects for "Walking" and "Harry Potter", so the effects were topnotch. Add a grandiose music score and, wow, one of the most interesting and fascinating cable productions in awhile.

The shot of the mating spiral decent was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

highly recommended!!!!
Old 03-21-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I've always dug TDC's CGi science shows. I hope I can catch this.
Old 03-21-05, 08:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I saw an ad for it, it seemed to be insinuating that dragons were real? Or was I misreading it? I dismissed it as crazy bullshit, but if it's just for fun I'll check it out.
Old 03-21-05, 08:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I saw an ad for it, it seemed to be insinuating that dragons were real? Or was I misreading it? I dismissed it as crazy bullshit, but if it's just for fun I'll check it out.
the idea and premise of the show was culled from various myths and stories of dragons from different cultures and created a mockumentary - a "what if" scenario, so yeah, it was for 'fun'.
Old 03-21-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched, and found it to be bad; cringeworthily bad. I also didn't think the CGi was that great; but sure it was pretty good for a tv show.

Sure, it was "for fun" but they really tried to present it like it was somehow factual, and they didn't say "what if..." nearly enough; how the dragons have hydrogen air sacs which both help them fly, and breathe fire; and how they ate platinum to provide the spark; how they mated, what they sounded like, how protective the mothers are of their young for the first six years; how their color changed throughout their life, etc.

I would have been far more interested to just see a 2-hour show on dragon's actual place in art and culture around the world, instead of this pseudo-science bull.
Old 03-21-05, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
they didn't say "what if..." nearly enough
Did you find a need to be constantly reminded that dragons aren't real?
Old 03-21-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I would have been far more interested to just see a 2-hour show on dragon's actual place in art and culture around the world, instead of this pseudo-science bull.
Actually, in their follow-up to the presentation, they specifically stated they did NOT want to do an artsy review of dragons' place in art and culture, although they did incorporate it into their "re-creation."

I, too, would have liked them to present the "this is all fake" disclaimer more--my stepson thought it was real, and I originally missed the first 10 minutes of it, so I thought for awhile that it was some sort of real documentary, until I caught the intro on a 2nd viewing..
Old 03-21-05, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Morf
Did you find a need to be constantly reminded that dragons aren't real?
Not constantly, but sometimes!

No, but the fact that they presented the whole thing as if they were making astounding scientific discoveries based on a recently found, well-preserved dragon carcass from the 15th century, seemed to be trying to infer a certain scientific credibility to a program that had none.

I expect to see this type of show on Fox.
Old 03-21-05, 12:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Just FYI, when "War of the Worlds" comes out, it's not a documentary either.
Old 03-21-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't watch this show yet, but you gotta keep in mind that you can't really say anything about dragons not being real or not. I mean is Santa Claus real? How about the Easter Bunny?
Old 03-21-05, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
I haven't watch this show yet, but you gotta keep in mind that you can't really say anything about dragons not being real or not. I mean is Santa Claus real? How about the Easter Bunny?
Sure I can. There is no proof of dragons ever existing. They are non-existant until proven existant.

And everyone knows that Santa killed the Easter Bunny back in the early 60s.
Old 03-21-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's what entertainment is all about... if you enjoyed, it's a good show, who cares it's real or not. As for proves, i think only mathematical proves are absolute, all other proves are playful logics.
Old 03-21-05, 02:59 PM

What defines a dragon? Flying lizard/reptile? Wouldn't a pterodactyl then be dragon? Did they not exist? What about Komodo Dragons? Not all dragons in all cultures fly and breathe fire.

Of course, we all know dinosaurs didn't exist either, because the world was only created about 6,000 years ago, according to some religions! But, then God has not been proven to exist, either.
Old 03-21-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the explanation MadMonk, it's just like asking for the prove of god's existence...
Old 03-21-05, 05:33 PM

Wow. If this thread isn't a full on commentary on the power of television I don't know what is. Most people would probably say that "fabled" dragons are not real...but show them a television program to the contrary and ......wow....just wow.