Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazing Race 7 - 03/08/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will get eliminated this week?
Debbie and Bianca (Lifelong friends)
1.96%
Susan and Patrick (Mother and Son)
5.88%
Rob and Amber ("Celebrities")
0%
Brian and Greg (Brothers)
0%
Lynn and Alex (Boyfriends)
3.92%
Meredith and Gretchen (Retired couple)
41.18%
Ray and Deana (Dating on and off)
3.92%
Uchenna and Joyce (Married)
7.84%
Megan and Heidi (Roomates)
21.57%
Ron and Kelly (Dating)
13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Amazing Race 7 - 03/08/05

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm actually kind of rooting for them because that is sweet.
Oh, Jadz - you're getting soft on us.

ROMBER freakin' rules!!!! His shenanigans are cracking me up. He loves getting under other teams' skin. It's great! Those two are an excellent pair - they complement each other superbly.

Team Geriatric is getting on the wife and I's nerves...badly.

Still don't like the remaining all girl team and the mother and son.
Old 03-10-05, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I want to call them Team Test Tube, since they said if they win, they'll use the money to try for a baby. Or Team In Vitro.

I'm actually kind of rooting for them because that is sweet.
I call them "Team Corporate Scandal," since one of them worked for Enron and the other worked for WorldCom.

People who get in vitro just rub me the wrong way. There are so many kids who need a home; why go to such great lengths to have a kid with your own genes?

No offense to anyone who's had in vitro.
Old 03-10-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
People who get in vitro just rub me the wrong way. There are so many kids who need a home; why go to such great lengths to have a kid with your own genes?

I've thought the same thing many times, Jason.
Old 03-10-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For some people, preserving their bloodlines is a high priority. It doesn't make it right or wrong, it just is.
Old 03-10-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to feel the same way. Now that I have a baby (who was conceived quite easily), I really do feel sorry for people who have trouble.

I do resent those people who take fertility drugs and have litters of kids and then talk about it being "god's will". Um, no, it was medical science. "God's will" was that you didn't have kids at all. The last family on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition said this, as did that McCaughey septuplet lady.
Old 03-10-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I used to feel the same way. Now that I have a baby (who was conceived quite easily), I really do feel sorry for people who have trouble.
I feel sorry for people who have problems conceiving (like my cousin and his wife), too, but there has to be a point where a couple says enough is enough - there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ adopting.

So you didn't have any trouble conceiving either?
Old 03-10-05, 10:38 PM
Suspended

I feel sorry for anyone who wants a child and has trouble having one, but that's not the issue. The issue is why people are willing to spend untold dollars and put their bodies through all sorts of stress just so they can pass on their own genes. If their genes were so special, wouldn't they be able to conceive without any problems?
Old 03-10-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
So you didn't have any trouble conceiving either?
We weren't even "trying" yet. He's my little happy accident. Sometimes I wonder if couples trying to conceive makes it harder than just letting it happen. It seems many people I talk to feel the same way. When you "try" to have a baby, maybe the stress or something seems to make it harder? Sixteen year olds doing it in the backseats of cars never seem to have the same infertility problems as married couples do.

I feel sorry for anyone who wants a child and has trouble having one, but that's not the issue. The issue is why people are willing to spend untold dollars and put their bodies through all sorts of stress just so they can pass on their own genes. If their genes were so special, wouldn't they be able to conceive without any problems?
I can see your point. And I think it might not be as big a deal for a man perhaps. I know as a woman, there is something amazing about being pregnant, going through childbirth, breastfeeding, etc. I'd love my son as much even if he was adopted, but I do have to say that carrying him in my belly and bringing him into the world was such a wonderful thing I got to experience.

I get really annoyed at that crazy Joan Lunden lady who is in her fifties, already has two different sets of kids, but now is having another set of twins. And she can't even carry them herself and instead pays some surrogate to do it. I honestly think the woman has a problem, like she refuses to realize her age and she must constantly have babies to feel young. I always wondered that about people who have lots of kids. Do they not like the ones they have? Do they only like babies and once they get older, they are not as "fun"?

And now that so many people are on second, third marriages, it seems like many people feel the need to have kids with their new spouse in order to validate the relationship or something. So they have one set of kids with one husband/wife, then another set with the next. I think that is kind of self-absorbed, like the world needs twice as many doses of their genes.

Point? I think it's fine if a childless couple like Uchenna and Eartha Kitt decide to use in vitro to get a baby. But I think the whole fertility science thing is a bit misused on people who already have kids. Even that McCaughey lady already had a kid and they weren't financially stable to begin with. I have no idea why on earth they were taking fertility drugs.

There was a woman on Oprah a few months ago who was a single mother who had in vitro and three embryos took. Then one of them divided. She refused to do the selective termination thing, so she had quadruplets. As a single mother. Oh yeah, and she was unemployed. Oprah and the audience thought she was crazy. I have one baby and a super-helpful husband and it is so much work. I have no idea how you'd take care of 4 at once.

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-10-05 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-10-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, thought I'd stumbled into Otterville...

My cousin and her hubby tried in vitro for several years, and then finally gave up, and lo and behold, they got preggers the old fashion way. I guess the drugs really stressed her system, and once she was back to as normal as she could be, nature took its course.
Old 03-11-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Final Nicknames:
Susan and Patrick - Team (Mom and Norman) Bates - This is good. Thanks Patman.

Originally Posted by shoppingbear in LAST week's thread
...Team Mom-and-Son should be Team Bates Motel (she's just creepy, and he's obsessed)....
Oh sure, give him credit for my creativity...

Old 03-11-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To be perfectly honest, I didn't read your Team Bates Hotel suggestion, and came up with it on my own *this* week, but am glad we were creeped out by the same vibe.
Old 03-11-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
We call Uchenna/Joyce Team Eartha because she looks like Eartha Kitt.
I think Uchenna looks more like Keith from Six Feet Under than she does like Eartha Kitt.
Old 03-11-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No one has mentioned the passing of AA.com as a sponsor! Could this be related to the moronic AA employee that played a vital role in last season's finale?

It's just not the same when you hear Phil say, "brought to you by Travelocity."

I will miss the cute blondes and their Victoria Secret attire.

I think Lynn and Alex should be known as "Team Bitches" instead of "Team on Fire".

Groucho - "Team L-Word" works just fine.
Old 03-11-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Eplicon
I wasn't a fan of Rob during his Survivor stint, but I'm enjoing seeing him give everyone an ass-whooping here.
I wanted not to root for him as well, but he converted me during Survivor All-Stars when he completely handled all those egomaniacs and beat them soundly at their own game.
Old 03-11-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
As long as some teams can use other teams for information and ride others coattails, I have no problem with doing whatever it takes to keep info quiet.
Exactly. It is a game after all.
Old 03-11-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Could we change Lynn and Alex to Team Birdcage?
Old 03-11-05, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Oh, for God's sake. Enough with this nickname talk. Call the teams whatever you want. If it's a good nickname, people will know who you mean. If it's a bad nickname, people will laugh at you. We don't need a 43 page thread from the DVDTalk Committee to Give Officially Sanctioned Nicknames to the Amazing Racers.
Old 03-11-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 619 Likes on 498 Posts
Oh, for God's sake. Enough with this nickname talk. Call the teams whatever you want. If it's a good nickname, people will know who you mean. If it's a bad nickname, people will laugh at you. We don't need a 43 page thread from the DVDTalk Committee to Give Officially Sanctioned Nicknames to the Amazing Racers.

I'm glad somebody said this.
Old 03-11-05, 12:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My nickname for JasonF and Red Dog ("Anal Lawyers") is Team Killjoy.
Old 03-11-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
SUCK IT! would have sufficed.

Old 03-11-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Could we change Lynn and Alex to Team Birdcage?
Wouldn't that be Team The Birdcage?
Old 03-11-05, 01:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
I feel like Mr. White. "What should we call this team? Team Toby Chew? Team Toby Wong? Team Toby Wu?"
Old 03-11-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B.A.
No one has mentioned the passing of AA.com as a sponsor! Could this be related to the moronic AA employee that played a vital role in last season's finale?

It's just not the same when you hear Phil say, "brought to you by Travelocity."
Hey, at least we got a roaming gnome
Old 03-11-05, 03:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
team rombuh
Old 03-11-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
WOW!

Someone does not have the Amazing Race spirit!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.