Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Scrubs - 02/15/05

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by sven
To each his own I guess. I thought this one is easily one of the best from this season.

AND yes sitcom Elliot was smokin.
I can't put my finger on it. The jokes were the same as usual, but lacked the punch with the audience/canned laughter. But I can't think that is it because I watch plenty of shows with the laugh track. Maybe it was because the characters were too over the top. They are already over the top to begin with and this was just too much I guess. I'm not really sure.

I enjoyed it up until the sitcom part. The only sitcom part I enjoyed was the J.D talking in his voice-over voice. Oh and the wonderbra Elliot.

I just hope this doesn't get better ratings than usual, b/c then some exec sitting in his office will want to go this route for every episode.
Old 02-16-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was disappointed as I've been raving about Scrubs, trying to get my brother to watch, telling him how different it is, not like the usual sitcom and then they use a sitcom gimmick. Ugh. He was like, "You've been bugging me to see this."

We turned it off. I need him to see a "real" Scrubs episode.
Old 02-16-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I can't put my finger on it. The jokes were the same as usual, but lacked the punch with the audience/canned laughter. But I can't think that is it because I watch plenty of shows with the laugh track. Maybe it was because the characters were too over the top. They are already over the top to begin with and this was just too much I guess. I'm not really sure.
Well for one thing, the timing was completely different. A genuine alteration that has to happen with these laugh-track shows (see Happy Days) which changes the flow of the comedy when you have to stop everything for 10 minutes when the Janitor enters and the crowd goes nuts a la Fonzie. Normally the show just slaps the laughs back and forth as rapidly as they feel is effective and expect you to keep up with them.

If anything, anyone who disliked this episode failed to see a way to have an even greater respect for how the production of Scrubs works and how Bill Lawrence and Co are geniuses. I mean the overall effect was great, the conceit inspired and the jokes just a good in that frame. Not at all a bad episode, but rather a great commentary on television.

Originally Posted by maxpower
sitcom Jordan
Well they did the least to alter her "sitcom" alter ego... probably because she didn't want the memories from The Drew Carey Show to bite her/her husband's show in the ass.
Old 02-16-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Am I the only one that appreciated the nod to The Warriors?
Old 02-16-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I enjoyed this episode, but the sitcom portion lasted a bit too long.

Jordan looked like crap, like she had hardly any makeup on.

I guess I missed the Warrior bit.
Old 02-16-05, 08:54 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
I thought this episode was brilliant. Not only was it still very funny, but it effectively said to NBC "There's a reason this isn't a regular sitcom".

The janitor's entrance, the guest star, the ultra-bright lighting, was all simply perfect for a send-up of a traditional sitcom.
Old 02-16-05, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bralph
I thought this episode was brilliant. Not only was it still very funny, but it effectively said to NBC "There's a reason this isn't a regular sitcom".

The janitor's entrance, the guest star, the ultra-bright lighting, was all simply perfect for a send-up of a traditional sitcom.
I agree, loved it! I thought it was hilarious. Turk singing the Sanford and Son song was great.

And sitcom Elliot -
Old 02-16-05, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
If anything, anyone who disliked this episode failed to see a way to have an even greater respect for how the production of Scrubs works and how Bill Lawrence and Co are geniuses. I mean the overall effect was great, the conceit inspired and the jokes just a good in that frame. Not at all a bad episode, but rather a great commentary on television.
I said pretty much the same thing to my wife as we were watching it. It emphasized how bad Scrubs would be if structured like the typical sitcom, and really magnified the differences between it (as well as Arrested Development) and other sitcomes currently on the air. Still had a few chuckles, but definitely wasn't the same vibe.

One of the things I've noticed with non-traditional sitcomes like Scrubs and Arrested Development is that you have to pay attention very carefully, as many of the jokes are subtle (stated under one's breath, passing through a scene, or something visual in the background). They tend to reward longtime viewers with subtle "in jokes" that the casual viewer wouldn't get. In addition, most sitcoms have this timing-thing down to the point that there seems to be a joke every 10 seconds like clockwork, and the canned laughter simply allows for pause for the characters to catch their breath and set up the next joke.

The other thing I like about Scrubs is how they're not afraid to inject sadness or tragedy (more like reality) into their episodes - and don't have to air a "Very Special Episode" disclaimer prior to such poignant episodes.

Basically, I see this as a one-time "spoof" of sorts where the writers basically showed viewers "Yeah, we could go the traditional route, but look how cheesy and one-dimensional it would be."
Old 02-16-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The sitcom part definately lasted too long, but I thought it was a good episode. And the Sanford & Son was classic.
Old 02-16-05, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan

Well they did the least to alter her "sitcom" alter ego... probably because she didn't want the memories from The Drew Carey Show to bite her/her husband's show in the ass.
I did think of the DCS but I don't get what you mean...do you mean the look or the acting?

When I thought of the DCS, I had in mind the look ..but then remembered the DCS was also shot on same film as Scrubs..or at least more similar to Scrubs than to the bright set of Sitcom Scrubs..or am I not remembering right?

edit. as to the length of the sitcom part..it only lasted two segments...as a matter of fact when I saw the posted preview I imagined it would begin in the intro. I even forgot about it while watching the episode. It was not till the 17th(realtime) minute that they went sitcom-style. I don't know what they could have done with one segment. It would have been funny of course but would not have had the punch and underlying jokes of "sitcoms".

Last edited by maxpower; 02-16-05 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-16-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It seems like you completely missed the point of the episode. You weren't really supposed to like the standard sitcom part of the show, it was obnoxious and lame and over the top on purpose. It goes with the whole idea that real life isn't like sitcom TV life. Everything isn't neatly wrapped up at the end so that no one dies or gets fired in real life. That was the moral of this week's episode.

I can hardly watch a laugh-tracked or live studio audience sitcom these days anyway, for the same reasons I thought that section of Scrubs was obnoxious.

I wonder if there were any latercomers who turned this episode on at the sitcom section who (A) had seen the show before and was horrified to see what had happened to it, or (B) who hadn't seen the show before and thought it was the best thing they had seen, and are hoping for more of the same next week.

Last edited by FinkPish; 02-16-05 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-16-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FinkPish
It seems like you completely missed the point of the episode. You weren't really supposed to like the standard sitcom part of the show, it was obnoxious and lame and over the top on purpose. It goes with the whole idea that real life isn't like sitcom TV life. Everything isn't neatly wrapped up at the end so that no one dies or gets fired in real life. That was the moral of this week's episode.
I didn't miss anything. I completely got it. I just didn't like it. I know why scrubs is funny. I don't need them to film a "special" or "gimmick" episode to remind me why. Maybe that is just me.
Old 02-16-05, 11:40 AM

I can't put my finger on it. .... I'm not really sure.
I didn't miss anything. I completely got it.
Old 02-16-05, 11:41 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent episode. Showed why Scrubs is great and other sit coms suck balls.
Old 02-16-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by maxpower
Out of context it is pretty funny.

I'm not sure why it wasn't funnier than it should have been. I understand the point they were trying to get across, it just wasn't funny. Clear?
Old 02-16-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
Spoiler:
Should be interesting to see Scrubs as a regular sitcom.
I didnt think so. Scrubs trying to be like most sitcoms on today, wasn't funny or amusing and I take extra points away because Clay Aiken was in it.

I didn't miss anything. I completely got it. I just didn't like it. I know why scrubs is funny. I don't need them to film a "special" or "gimmick" episode to remind me why. Maybe that is just me.
My thoughts exactly. I dont need someone to tell me that Scrubs is different or better, I know it.
Old 02-16-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Entertainment Weekly reviewed it too and said, they should stick to their regular format.
I am noticing a lot of people are mentioning Sitcom Elliot as Smokin. You sure that wasnt the only reason you liked it??
Old 02-16-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I barely know who Clay Aiken is so no hate from me. I thought he did a decent job of being a neebish cafateria worker & nice little song at the end as well.

The show made me appreciate "real" Scrubs all the more.
Old 02-16-05, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Entertainment Weekly reviewed it too and said, they should stick to their regular format.
I am noticing a lot of people are mentioning Sitcom Elliot as Smokin. You sure that wasnt the only reason you liked it??
it didn't hurt

birrman54
Old 02-16-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Birrman54
it didn't hurt

birrman54
Heh.
Old 02-16-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just left wondering where was Sitcom Ted, Sitcom Doug, and Sitcom Mickey?

And what about Sitcom Lonnie??
Old 02-16-05, 04:57 PM

and Sitcom The Todd?
Old 02-16-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ytrez
The show made me appreciate "real" Scrubs all the more.
I think that was the purpose of the episode. It wasn't trying to be funny. It just wanted to show the viewers how god-awful (or cheezy) some sitcoms are.

I also had no problem with Aiken in this episode.
Old 02-16-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
no problem with aiken, either. i thought it was a nice send-up to sitcoms having their "guest stars" in regular roles...

sitcom elliott was damn hot...

you know, a lot of the jokes were really scrubs material, but the laugh track ruined them... funny how that works.
Old 02-16-05, 09:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
"You marry her, you marry her right now"

the entire opening sequence made the entire show worthwhile. the three spinoffs, sanford and son song, "im not a lollipop", the arm wrestling, "SEE WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU MESS WITH THE WARRIOR" I was rolling and ended up watching that opening five minutes about 5 times.

Strange to see so many people crapping on the show for trying something new. I found it funny, mainly because it was so unfunny.

Ransom

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.