TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What shows have you STOPPED watching?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Recent TV Shows You’ve Given Up On.

I tend not to give up on shows.
However I have given up on 2 this season. Surprisingly both were on in the same slot on the same channel. The god awful Kath and Kim and the equally terrible Parks and Recreation. Both shows are absolutely terrible. I also dropped CSI a couple of years ago. It had lost its appeal for me, and there was too much other stuff on thursdays at 9, so it got the boot. CSI NY I watched for about 1 episode, and I was done with it.
Old 05-07-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much done with The Office.
Old 05-07-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
I'm alarmed at how Smallville has rambled on and on and on for so fucking long, what with the vacant plotting, equally vacant headed cast members (Michael Rosenbaum excepted), and dwindling viewers.

And yes, the sharks and vultures have really been circling Heroes since somewhere in S3, it has creatively tanked faster and harder than any of David E. Kelley's shows. It seems like a lot of creative effort went into its first season, but they've been heavily recyling since then, getting more blatant and annoying.
I don't think either show has had a drastic drop off in quality, but they've failed to improve.

Admittedly, Heroes season 2 was terrible, but season 1 rambled on for what seemed like an eternity before something exciting actually started happening. The early part of Smallville that I watched had absolutely terrible, nonsensical episodes, and/or monster-of-the-week plots. That's the problem with both of these shows, I think, there are episodes or scenes where you see flashes, but then long periods in between of mediocrity or worse. And then you have the fact that both cater to pretty much the same picky fanbase.
Old 05-08-09, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gave up on Earl this year just got boring, Randy is too stupid anyway that always bothered me
Old 05-08-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Scrubs. I'm done with it.
Just in time for the series finale. How conveeeenient.

After last night, I am now teetering on dumping Ugly Betty. Jeez has that gone to shambles quickly.
Old 05-08-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think either show has had a drastic drop off in quality, but they've failed to improve.

Admittedly, Heroes season 2 was terrible, but season 1 rambled on for what seemed like an eternity before something exciting actually started happening. The early part of Smallville that I watched had absolutely terrible, nonsensical episodes, and/or monster-of-the-week plots. That's the problem with both of these shows, I think, there are episodes or scenes where you see flashes, but then long periods in between of mediocrity or worse. And then you have the fact that both cater to pretty much the same picky fanbase.
I'll never understand the Smallville hate(except for season 4, which is justified). I think people's memories fail them on how cheesy it's been from the beginning. I just got into it on DVD about 2 years ago, so I've seen every season within a few years time(vs. 8) and the show is nothing, if not consistent.
Old 05-08-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'll never understand the Smallville hate(except for season 4, which is justified). I think people's memories fail them on how cheesy it's been from the beginning. I just got into it on DVD about 2 years ago, so I've seen every season within a few years time(vs. 8) and the show is nothing, if not consistent.
I did the same thing and started watching weekly with S7. While I can see your point to a degree, there has definitely been a drop in both writing and acting quality. More than half the original cast has been replaced with the departure of Lionel, Lex, Jonathan and Martha who were the quality actors (sorry Pete, Lana and Kara). They would have been wiser to have even dropped the name and changed it to Metropolis since the show only seems to be in Smallville when the Luther mansion is the occasional setting (why exactly does Chloe still live in the Talon apartment?). Another gripe is that the show refuses to let the main character GROW. We've watched Clark learn to utilize all of these powers yet he still refuses to fly? It just gets frustratingly repetitive after 8 years of running to stand still.
Old 05-08-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just can't get into Southland. Rather dull and uninteresting show for me.

Doug
Old 05-08-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I did the same thing and started watching weekly with S7. While I can see your point to a degree, there has definitely been a drop in both writing and acting quality. More than half the original cast has been replaced with the departure of Lionel, Lex, Jonathan and Martha who were the quality actors (sorry Pete, Lana and Kara). They would have been wiser to have even dropped the name and changed it to Metropolis since the show only seems to be in Smallville when the Luther mansion is the occasional setting (why exactly does Chloe still live in the Talon apartment?). Another gripe is that the show refuses to let the main character GROW. We've watched Clark learn to utilize all of these powers yet he still refuses to fly? It just gets frustratingly repetitive after 8 years of running to stand still.
I will give you that. They definitely added to the show, but story-wise it's a wash, IMO. You just don't have those quality anchors anymore to elevate the material to more than what it is and always has been.

Don't forget, we still get shots at the Kent barn.
Old 05-08-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This year I dropped: 24, Lost, Top Chef, Heroes.

Next year I'll most likely also drop: The Office & One Tree Hill
Old 05-08-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by starseed1981
This year I dropped: 24, Lost, Top Chef, Heroes.

Next year I'll most likely also drop: The Office & One Tree Hill
Wow... might as well drop TV altogether at this point.
Old 05-08-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

LOST was once about a mystery that explored and revealed the interesting characters within it. Now its mainly all about the mythology and the characters are just swimming around in its convoluted mess.

I near-hate the show and I'm not the slightest bit emotionally moved by it anymore. For instance, they've done it to death so much, the "kill a character" trick doesn't work on me anymore.

I still watch (at ABC.com on lazy Sat/Sundays), but only because I have invested so much time in it and because I know there is a set end. If they didn't have a finalized end date, I know I wouldn't watch it.
Old 05-08-09, 01:44 PM
ATX

Heroes - My god this show went bad
Old 05-08-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lost
House
Prison Break
Old 05-08-09, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lawrence Welk...they keep dragging out that **** accordion each week.

Other than that, gave up on Lie To Me (unrealistic; the doc would be strangled within a week for being so annoying & analyzing every human being he sees); Southland (the stupid "bleeps" did it for us); and (dare I say) Heroes (for all the reasons already posted).

Can take or leave CSI (Vegas; never got into Miami or NY). Can't get into Bones. The Unusuals was good for a few episodes but seems gimmicky now. Same with Castle.

Actually, I think the crime procedural genre & the female/male cop partner genre has worn out its welcome. The more similar shows that air, the more it seems to dilute the allure of the series that originally started the fad.

Agree that cable shows (HBO, Showtime) and BBC shows have ruined us. The pacing & acting in shows such as Big Love (to cite a current favorite) far exceed the quality of most 'network' dramas. The economy forced by shorter seasons really pays off, just as the filler in the longer dramas hurts the overall quality.

When I go back & see some classic tv shows that ran for 30 episodes (hour-long series) and 39 for half-hour series, it's amazing to see how much quality the writers & producers could maintain...especially since the shows had to be episodic in nature & resolve plots in each episode (a two-hour episode or "continued" episode was a rare treat & was considered a major event back then). Character development was almost nil, of course, since the plots had to be wrapped up by the end of the show. Still, I'm impressed at the superb quality of the best shows from the "golden age" (or silver age) and wonder what the writers might have done if they had been allowed to sustain a plot over 4-5 episodes (much less an entire 10-13 episode season).
Old 05-08-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by creekdipper

Actually, I think the crime procedural genre & the female/male cop partner genre has worn out its welcome. The more similar shows that air, the more it seems to dilute the allure of the series that originally started the fad.
I disagree. I think the dilution increases the bond to the original.
Old 05-08-09, 08:56 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Another vote for Heroes
Just for fun -
Old 05-08-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

American Idol
Doll House

And funny, I was almost not going to watch Big Love this past season, and damn would that have been a huge fucking mistake!!!
Old 05-08-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

i haven't really given up on anything. tried 11th hour but ditched that pretty quickly.
Old 05-08-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fringe, I just can't get into it.
Old 05-08-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those of you who have seen my posts in Smallville threads know that I can't give up on anything! This year, my candidates for the axe were Dollhouse and Parks & Recreation. I'm happy that I stuck with both.
Old 05-10-09, 12:57 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

'CSI' used to be a show that I COULD NOT wait to watch. But just lately I've not found ti to be as good as it was. I have a few on DVR that I'll watch, but it doesn't have nearly as much appeal to me as it used to.
Old 05-10-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Well, stretching this out a bit...Gave up on Heroes after a few of the crappy season 2 episodes, gave up on Survivor and Amazing Race a season or two back...
Old 05-10-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

House. I just don't have time for it anymore.
Old 05-10-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms
Another vote for Heroes
Just for fun -
Every time I see that pic I think Karl Urban is Matt LeBlac for a second.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.