Donate 11 bucks and SAVE STAR TREK!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-08-05, 08:02 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Slashdot:

An anonymous reader writes "What started of as a suggestion to pay for season 5 of Enterprise has actully snowballed into a project that no one has ever attempted before, that of getting fans to pay for the production costs of a tv series. It has brought on board a raft of people including lawyers. I wonder if the quoted $50 to $80 million is reachable." I gotta say that Enterprise has been better this season, but I feel like it's still only mediocre. Battlestar Galactica might be the best SciFi airing right now. And I woulda chipped in for more Firefly in a heartbeat.
Here's The Thread in question.

I dont know, this sounds like a legal headache to me. And frankly, it's a freakin' movie studio, not a charity. They need more of my money like they need a hole in their heads!
Old 02-08-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll pay $11 to get to beat the living shit out of B&B with a baseball bat
Old 02-08-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Take your 11 dollars...sign up on Netflix, add DS9, TNG, and the OS to your queue and remember why the show was once worthy of being a franchise.
Old 02-08-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by mikehunt
oooooh...i'm down for this. As long as when we're done, we can have Jolene soothe our worn down muscules in a decontamination chamber..

assuming it hasn't been destroyed already..
Old 02-08-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And next season the show will air on PBS?
Old 02-08-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, let's say the figure needed it about $66 million.

That's quite a lot of people that will be needed... I mean, 6.6 million people donating $11 a piece?

Quite a weighty task to undertake...
Old 02-08-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Worst Idea Ever!

No way something like this could ever work. You would probably just end up with the lawyers involved getting all the money anyway. That show was so unwatchable I doubt you could find more than a few hundred thousand willing to donate money anyway.
Old 02-08-05, 10:31 PM
Banned

I believe Bakula is moving on to another project. Plus I never really liked Enterprise. I liked the concept not the execution.
Old 02-08-05, 11:07 PM

I'd pay $1100 to bring back DS9.

I wouldn't pay 11 cents for Enterprise.
Old 02-08-05, 11:11 PM
Cool New Member

I'll donate 11 bucks for them not to bring it back. If this movement ever gets off the ground (doubtful), I might have to start up a collection of my own.
Old 02-08-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where are all these pathetic Trek fans coming from? When I used to visit Trek forums, everyone pretty much had the same feelings as we do on this forum (that Trek had sucked since Voyager, that TOS, TNG and DS9 were the good ones.) There were smaller groups who only were into one or two shows, and then a large group of (mostly) women who only liked Voyager. Everyone was pretty much dead against Enterprise. Did it pick up a fan following?
Old 02-08-05, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia

Somebody shove me out an air lock if DS9 ever comes back.
Old 02-09-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 310 Likes on 221 Posts
Old 02-09-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Deep Space Nine was a great series. Star Trek has never been any better than it was during that series since that show went off the air.
Old 02-09-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Deep Space Nine was a great series. Star Trek has never been any better than it was during that series since that show went off the air.
Voyager was still on the air that year though

So I must disagree
Old 02-09-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BizRodian
Where are all these pathetic Trek fans coming from? When I used to visit Trek forums, everyone pretty much had the same feelings as we do on this forum (that Trek had sucked since Voyager, that TOS, TNG and DS9 were the good ones.) There were smaller groups who only were into one or two shows, and then a large group of (mostly) women who only liked Voyager. Everyone was pretty much dead against Enterprise. Did it pick up a fan following?
It's panic. Some incarnation of Star Trek has been on the air since 1987, and it's gained a reputation as an permanent television fixture. It doesn't help that Enterprise has noticeably improved and is actually enjoyable.

That said: let it die. Please, let it die. And don't let it come back until someone has a brilliant new concept for the franchise.
Old 02-09-05, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked it best how the Angel fans mobilized to get the show another season (well tried anyway). Blood Drives, donating money to charities, running ads in newspapers thanking the cast y crew...basically trying to create awareness about the shows impending demise so hopefully it would change.

But give 60 million dollars to a studio? <eddiemurphybackwhenhewasstillcool> Get the f*** out of here!</eddiemurphybackwhenhewasstillcool>. Unless each person who donates get some kind of return on their money this is one of the dumber, ambitious but dumb, "save the show" campaigns I've ever heard of.

Oh, honorable mention for "Save the show" effort goes to Roswell fans who mailed hot sauce by the boat load to The WB. Not only was that quirky, creative, and cool - but it actually worked.

And you all need to stop hating on Voyager. I loved that show while it was on. It was great!

In other news. It's true, I have no taste.
Old 02-09-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the Roswell group did a good job. Of course, in the modern era of "Save Our Show" campaigns, no one has come close to the effort the Farscape group put together. Holy shit, that was amazing, and they had to fight against the backlash of the disaster that was the Roswell return on top of everything else. It's hilarious that the guy claims no one has ever tried this before.

The thought that anyone would waste his money to save this below average show is mind-boggling. If you're going to gear up for a fight like this, at least make it for a worthy cause. I'd like to see this guy find 3 million people who even give a shit that the show is leaving, let alone give $12 bucks to it.

das
Old 02-09-05, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Sign me up for that.
Old 02-09-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia

I wouldn't pay 11 cents for Enterprise.
Sign me up for bringing DS9 back (or beating B&B with baseball bats). Yes Enterprise has gotten better but it's done, stick a fork in it.
Old 02-09-05, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BizRodian
The pathetic fans are the ones who bitch and moan about how terrible the show is and continue watching it as well as the ones who continue to post in threads about a show they claim to have not watched in years. That is pathetic.

But in answer to your question...the minority are usually the most vocal. Those deriding the show are in the minority. Those who like the show for the most part do not make their voices heard.
Old 02-09-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos

LET... THEM... DIE!!!!
Old 02-09-05, 10:39 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
What will the fan movement be when they cancel Arrested Development?

Will we all get circumcized?
Will we all paint ourselves blue?
Will we all buy a shitty house?
Will we all **** an old lady?
Will we try to teach Fox "a lesson?"
Old 02-09-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maxpower
The pathetic fans are the ones who bitch and moan about how terrible the show is and continue watching it as well as the ones who continue to post in threads about a show they claim to have not watched in years. That is pathetic.
I never said those people were not pathetic. I don't understand the people who watch the show but dislike it. However, I think anyone who was once a big Trek fan is going to have some interest in what's happening with the francise, because it effects if a good version might come out some time.

But, as far as being pathetic goes, I do think this guy who thinks he can pay 60 million to a studio when it's clear he's in a real minority that really does take the cake.
Old 02-09-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With so many people shooting their mouths off about shows they don't even watch or only watching one or two programs and proclaiming them the greatest things on the air with no frame of reference, criticizing someone for actually watching a series in its entirety and expressing an informed opinion about its contents seems pretty weak IMO.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.