TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tru Calling Officially Canceled

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Tru Calling Officially Canceled

Tru Is Dead, But Not Gone

Gail Berman, president of entertainment at Fox, confirmed to reporters that the supernatural series Tru Calling won't be coming back—but she added that six as-yet-unaired second-season episodes will eventually see the light of day. "We finished six episodes of Tru Calling, and we anticipate putting them on air at some point," Berman told reporters at Fox's winter press tour Jan. 17 in Universal City, Calif.

Berman added that the upcoming supernatural series Point Pleasant was the deciding factor in pulling Tru Calling from the schedule. "What changed for us was when we saw Point Pleasant, we really felt we had a show that was incredibly compatible with The O.C.," Berman said. "So our thoughts changed, not so much about Tru Calling, but the possibility of not only having an exciting show and a winner at 8 o'clock, but also something that could really make headway for us at 9 o'clock in an incredibly competitive time period."

Tru Calling, starring Eliza Dushku and Jason Priestley, had been picked up for a second season, but the show was put on hiatus before the season began. Point Pleasant premieres Jan. 18 and will air Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
Old 01-18-05, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Well, atleast we will be able to see the final 6 episodes. Maybe they wrap up some storylines? Also about Point Pleasant...Its airing Wednesdays, while The O.C. airs Thursday....
Old 01-18-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Well, atleast we will be able to see the final 6 episodes. Maybe they wrap up some storylines? Also about Point Pleasant...Its airing Wednesdays, while The O.C. airs Thursday....

It's airing Thursdays after The O.C. The season opener is airing on a special night: Wednesday.
Old 01-18-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that seems like confirmation that Point Pleasant will suck. Whenever Fox cancels something good to try and cash in on the other side of the fence, the grass turns out to be brown with lots of dog poo everywhere.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the show, this is still terribly disappointing. The addition of Priestley was wonderful, and the series was really displaying some potential there at the end. Oh well ... it's Fox, so it's no surprise. I await their new ad campaign: "Fox ... Don't Get Too Attached"

das
Old 01-18-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well this news opens up for their next reality show "who wants to guess our next shitty really show?" or the even racier "who's your molestor" in which 1 woman will compete to find out which of her family members molested her as a child.
Old 01-18-05, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It's airing Thursdays after The O.C. The season opener is airing on a special night: Wednesday.
Gotcha. Makes sense since North Shore ended last week.
Old 01-18-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Are they certain this time?
Old 01-18-05, 12:58 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
"So our thoughts changed, not so much about Tru Calling, but the possibility of not only having an exciting show and a winner at 8 o'clock, but also something that could really make headway for us at 9 o'clock in an incredibly competitive time period."

I'm a sure a show dealing with the supernatural is going to make a dent in the ratings of CSI and The Apprentice. Launching it an almost equally competitive timeslot is just as stupid. How Gail Berman still has a job is one of life's great unanswered questions.
Old 01-18-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berman added that the upcoming supernatural series Point Pleasant was the deciding factor in pulling Tru Calling from the schedule. "What changed for us was when we saw Point Pleasant, we really felt we had a show that was incredibly compatible with The O.C.," Berman said. "So our thoughts changed, not so much about Tru Calling, but the possibility of not only having an exciting show and a winner at 8 o'clock, but also something that could really make headway for us at 9 o'clock in an incredibly competitive time period. PLUS, we realized that keeping Tru Calling in production would waste a precious 60 minute block of programming that we could use for yet another highly intelligent "unscripted" show. Since we've seen, despite the successes of Lost, Desperate Housewives and [to a much lesser extent] Medium, is a highly desired genre that we feel is sorely misrepresented on television today."
Fixed.
Old 01-18-05, 01:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
That's too bad, but at least we'll get a chance to watch the final 6 episodes.
Old 01-18-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geofferson

That's too bad, but at least we'll get a chance to watch the final 6 episodes.
I'll believe it when I see it.

das
Old 01-18-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I'll believe it when I see it.

das

Yep. I'm still waiting and waiting and waiting for the Boston Public burnoff.
Old 01-18-05, 02:10 PM

they should have just tossed the 6 eps. on the dvd set.
Old 01-18-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm still waiting for FOX to bring back Space: Above and Beyond.
Old 01-18-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am "officially" not surprised.
Old 01-18-05, 02:33 PM

So what happens if (or when) Point Pleasant is cancelled after only 3 or 4 episodes?
Old 01-18-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nickee
So what happens if (or when) Point Pleasant is cancelled after only 3 or 4 episodes?
It will be replaced by Who Wants to be a Fox Executive? hosted by a tear-streaked Gail Berman.
Old 01-18-05, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nickee
You'll be happy if they come out with the DVD titled Point Pleasant: The Complete Episode!
Old 01-18-05, 04:53 PM

maybe they should just combine the 2 shows. we could have Point Calling or Tru Point or Pleasantly Tru or to a greater extent Pleasantly Calling Tru or.....
Old 01-18-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
The thing that pisses me off is that I never saw a single episode until it was confirmed that the show had been renewed. Then I watched every single episode in ancticipation of the second season. I guess that just confirms that I should never bother watching anything on Fox.

I doubt that Fox is losing money. They just thought that Point Pleasant would make them a little bit more money than Tru Calling. Whatever. As long as their shareholders are happy, I guess.
Old 01-18-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasnt a bit fan of the show either but dont understand why they even went ahead with the second season if they didnt have their hearts behind it?
Old 01-18-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This could be a good thing. Maybe now we can get "Faith" from Joss Whedon. The cast could include Wood, Spike, Andrew, maybe Gunn and two or three new characters.

I need my Buffy-verse fix!!!!
Old 01-18-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I wasnt a bit fan of the show either but dont understand why they even went ahead with the second season if they didnt have their hearts behind it?
It's called Boomtown Syndrome.
Old 01-18-05, 07:34 PM

Maybe we need to have no more Berman's in the tv industry. We have Gail Berman, Rick Berman, and Chris Berman. See a trend there? I do.
Old 01-18-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

could it finally be time for Faith: The Vampire Slayer???

hey, I'm a dreamer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.