Project Greenlight Season 3 debuts 03/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Project Greenlight Season 3 debuts 03/15

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After watching the season premiere (without seeing the previous seasons), my girlfriend and I finally decided to start a Netflix trial and watch the first two seasons. We just finished disc 2 (episode 12) of Season 1. Pete just got off the phone with his wife and daughter after the Sundance festival.

What's on episode 13? It seems like this season is over, so we don't want to waste one of our rentals (and the associated time that could be spent on another rental) if there's nothing else to watch...

Thanks!
Old 03-20-05, 03:42 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darq
After watching the season premiere (without seeing the previous seasons), my girlfriend and I finally decided to start a Netflix trial and watch the first two seasons. We just finished disc 2 (episode 12) of Season 1. Pete just got off the phone with his wife and daughter after the Sundance festival.

What's on episode 13? It seems like this season is over, so we don't want to waste one of our rentals (and the associated time that could be spent on another rental) if there's nothing else to watch...

Thanks!
There are actually four discs to the set (despite how Netflix phrases it). In addition to the 2 discs of actual episodes, there is a disc with the movie Stolen Summer and extras pertaining to that. Then there is another disc that is filled with extras pertaining to the actual contest, like the full contestant bio and submission videos. There's some interesting stuff there, but unless you're really into the process you can probably skip it. There is no extra 'episode' on the disc. In fact, 'Episode 13' is actually the name of the first episode of season 2.
Old 03-20-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Anyone see the preview commercial for the next episode. Cracked me up....issues already....
Old 03-21-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First time watching this show. Looks pretty interesting. I don't think they picked the right script. It was pretty funny when they told the one guy his script was "too good". It kinda figures they picked the horror script. As for the director, well I don't think he's the best choice but he'll make for good TV. His pitching session was hilarious. Kinda funny that it seems they gave up hoping the movie would make money and instead went for a good TV show.
Old 03-22-05, 05:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Project Greenlight / S3 / Episode 2 / Mar 22

Spoiler:
The delightfully frank documentary continues, clearly exposing the absolute horror of producing a horror movie. As preproduction begins on the creature-feature Feast, the team discovers that Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan's winning script needs extensive rewrites, the budget must be slashed, the monster designs aren't up to snuff and neophyte director John Gulager has trouble communicating his vision to the crew. To make matters worse, the quirky director wants to cast his family in all the lead roles. To quote Heart of Darkness: "The horror! The horror!"*—*Dean Maurer

Preview Clip

Looks like Gulager is going to be a painful choice. He is the one I wanted them to pick last week but his inability to communicate his ideas may get annoying after a while. looking forward to seeing how the writers of the "winning" screenplay react to being rewritten.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 03-22-05 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These PG fuks kill me. They are allowed to make a movie on the studio's dime, but always insist it's their movie. No one should be able to tell them how to make "their" movie. John is the worst of the previous directors. He wants to use his family and friends, which is ok, but will not look at any other actors. I could see using his family in smaller roles because his brother looks like he's actually good.
Old 03-22-05, 09:15 PM

Gulager must be the first mute director ever. I doubt he'll last.

Also, how do they expect to make a decent monster movie for $2 million without making it look like a tv special?
Old 03-22-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by treszoks
Gulager must be the first mute director ever. I doubt he'll last.

Also, how do they expect to make a decent monster movie for $2 million without making it look like a tv special?
Off-topicc: I knew a girl named Melissa Treszoks many moons ago. Any relation?
Old 03-22-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Every scene with Gulager is painful to watch. I guess its a good thing they don't have money to pay any name actors (except Henry Rollins, apparently). I mean, what well-known actor would want to work with this guy?
Old 03-22-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is such a trainwreck, but I can't help to LOL at Gulager's high-functioning autism at work.

I mean, this guy is so out of touch with reality. He definitely lives for the commune, his support system.

Will Gulager actually get a clue along the way? It's no wonder his life has meandered so such, being so myopic is a detriment in this process so far.

I also did peek at IMDB because my curiousity got the better of me. But still, this is another example of PG: the TV show being much more entertaining than any film that comes from this "process".
Old 03-22-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a fucking mess.
Old 03-22-05, 11:32 PM

well sadly, i was right. Gulager is wearing on my nerves already. which sucks, because i was pulling for him during the premiere over the other two aspiring studio hacks. i was hoping he'd come in and be brilliant. instead he acts like a four year old when it looks like he isn't going to get his way. but what can you expect from a 45 year old man who still has his father paying his rent for him. jeez.
Old 03-22-05, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As with the previous shows, the editing makes it look a lot worse than it probably is. I think Gulagar was the BEST choice and I bet he delivers one kick ass flick. Of course he's acting like a petulant child about casting his family. "BUt I don't want anyone else but my brother. Waaaahh." I can't stand the two writers. I mean, can you not copy from "From Dusk Till Dawn", "Tremors" and "Evil Dead"? But then again, I actually read the script in the competition and am happy that I wasn't the only one who though it sucked. I also checked IMDB and the writers are writing the next "Highlander" movie. Man, I tell you. Hollywood.
Old 03-22-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What's just as bad is the studio demanding that they make Feast, and then the studio bitches that Feast is too expensive and sucks as a script and isn't worth doing. Didn't Wes Craven say exactly the same thing last episode?

The studio guy seemed like the kind of boss that always says 'Not Good enough! Make it better and cheaper' knowing full well that it isn't going to get and better for any cheaper, but still wants everyone to die trying to reach an impossible goal.

Gulager is being a jerk and I doubt he could control a set that wasn't manned by firends and family, but with the studio being so myopic, its hard to see how any director could function.
Old 03-23-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wes Craven probably wishes he could walk from this trainwreck... I wonder how much he gets paid for this. Or is it just part of his Dimension contract?
Old 03-23-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Like most others, I think the studio is making some stupid decisions, but honestly, they probably make these exact same decisions on every movie they produce: keep the costs down and hope the movie can still be made well enough to turn a profit. They didn't seem to pick the best script, but hopefully they picked a more interesting director.

That being said, I also really fear for Gulager's fate in this. Like others have said, he is already acting like a stuck up baby by demanding his family members be cast in the movie and not considering anyone else. He seems to have no social skills to speak of (arguing with the casting agent in the middle of a meeting instead of talking to her privately, generally unable to explain himself). He keeps so much internalized, it is maddening just to watch; I can't imagine what it would be like to work with him. The other problem he seems to have is allowing his expectations of what he thinks others want and think of him to keep him from saying what he means. At least twice he said something to the effect of "these studio people only think about budget etc, and that's the only way to talk to them." He seems so absorbed in his own beliefs about how the thinks "Hollywood" works, that he is completely missing his chance to learn how it really does work.
Old 03-23-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still think Damon and Affleck decided to nuke PG by rallying for Gulager because Dimension didn't want to do the script they wanted done, thus creating a drama-filled season of PG.
Old 03-23-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought this was cool. Affleck optioned the "...Time Travel" script and Wes Craven optioned the "Wildcard" script. Nice to see that these might see the light of day eventually.

http://chud.com/news/2018
Old 03-23-05, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by MrKen
Wes Craven probably wishes he could walk from this trainwreck... I wonder how much he gets paid for this. Or is it just part of his Dimension contract?
he's getting paid. everyone you see on screen is getting paid.

it will be interesting to see if craven's "pep talk" with gulager next week has any effect.
Old 03-23-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had to laugh when Gulager's dad had Gulager go cash his paycheck almost immediately (before Dimension realized what a loon his son is).
Old 03-23-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just googled "trainwreck smilie" because I thought it would be appropriate and the 2nd item that comes up goes to http://boards.bravotv.com/bb/showfla...=&fpart=2&vc=1 which is the Project Greenlight Season 3 board at Bravo.

This season of PG has TOTALLY gone away from what I believe was the original intention of the project which was to give a chance to a new writer and director that they would never get in real life to write a screenplay and direct a film for a major studio. If it hit, great and if it didn't, well, it only cost $1 million or so to make.

This year, it's just another "painful to watch" reality show. The ONLY reason I'm watching this year is because it's a horror movie and I want to see how some of the effects are done. I got curious too and went to IMDb to find out the cast list
Spoiler:
Jason Mewes as "Edgy Cat"!!
and you can also go to outside links (Bloody-Disgusting.com) from IMDb to read reviews of work prints. Not giving too much away here, but apparently
Spoiler:
a lot of the budget is going for blood!

It seems this year it's more about making the show than the movie -- even at this early date, I can't imagine there will be another season of PG after this -- well, not financed by a big studio anyway.
Old 03-23-05, 03:42 PM

I think it's funny and sad that the studio wants to make this big monster movie and reap tons of money from it, but they won't put any effort or money into it. The show is supposed to be a show with a lot of first timers working on it...yet you get the bitchy casting agent that is pissed because Gulager isn't a seasoned veteran. Notice how she never talked to him with her problems with his handling things. She goes behind his back and unloads on the producers...making them doubt him even more.

Instead of letting this guy fail miserably they should get behind him a little more and help train him to communicate a little more. I mean everyone is in this to make as much money as possible...
Old 03-23-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed the first episode, but caught this one... I have to agree with SMB-IL. This is *not* what PG was supposed to be about. This is all false drama and other reality TV crap. I'd rather watch an actual normal person with some talent try to get a cheap movie made (horror or otherwise). Sitting through this crap was just painful.
Old 03-23-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

why did HBO drop the show?
Old 03-23-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I had to laugh when Gulager's dad had Gulager go cash his paycheck almost immediately (before Dimension realized what a loon his son is).

That was great. It really is too much of a reality TV show now. Wes Craven just has that permanent "why the hell am I doing this" look on his face.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.