DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Project Runway -- Appreciation Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/401115-project-runway-appreciation-thread.html)

Brent_MN 07-13-06 02:52 AM

I'd never seen this show before...I carry my man card proudly. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm sort of weeding out the reality shows I watch. Sticking to stuff that's a little different. This is it. I know nothing about fashion, and don't care to. But this is a fun show.

And Heidi is nummy :)

Gil Jawetz 07-13-06 07:24 AM

Oustanding show and outstanding premiere. I only first watched it when I reviewed the season 2 DVD here and I'm super hooked. After marathoning S2 on DVD and then S1 on Bravo this past weekend I don't know how I can wait a whole week for each new episode. Great, great stuff!

candyrocket786 07-13-06 09:29 AM

rotfl at the thread title.

Looks interesting so far. Hopefully it will be just as good as S1 and S2.

It's going to be interesting watching Vincent go through some type of breakdown. The guy looks like some type of walking timebomb.

Can't stand Jeffery and his arrogance. Hopefullly, he'll get the axe soon.

Keith pretty much blew me away with his first dress (considering he is a menswear designer).

Buford T Pusser 07-16-06 11:16 PM

Tim Gunn is now doing commentary on "Best Week Ever". He knows how to MAKE IT WORK!

Gil Jawetz 07-17-06 07:46 AM

He was very funny on there. But the thing that killed me was Paul Tompkins' response to Malan's "They were like cattle rushing to a feedah.": "What DRACULA?!?!? You better step off!"

Buford T Pusser 07-17-06 10:06 AM

They're gonna have a good time w/Malan this season.

Gil Jawetz 07-17-06 10:25 AM

By the way, they're running Project Jay, the hourlong special following S1 winner Jay McCarroll on wednesday at 5pm, for those who only caught up with the show on DVD or during recent marathons. Set those DVRs!

Buford T Pusser 07-17-06 02:35 PM

That's the extra on the Target box set!

candyrocket786 07-19-06 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
They're gonna have a good time w/Malan this season.

So much for that... :mad:

I was hoping to see him in a few more episodes.

I was hoping Angela would really try hard at justifying why Vincent was a complete dick.

Can't wait for him to get the axe and breakdown.

iggystar 07-20-06 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
So much for that... :mad:

I was hoping to see him in a few more episodes.

I was hoping Angela would really try hard at justifying why Vincent was a complete dick.

Can't wait for him to get the axe and breakdown.

Oh, that fake British accent was driving me crazy.

And Vincent?! He spent the entire time being a control freak then flips the script to say Angela didn't want to help?!

He should have been gone with that HORRIBLE hat he made on the first challenge.

Gil Jawetz 07-20-06 08:19 AM

True about the hat. I'm bummed that Malan is gone. I was thinking he could be our nutty favorite this year. He was making me sad with his comments about his life. Oh well. So long Dracula!

iggystar 07-20-06 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
True about the hat. I'm bummed that Malan is gone. I was thinking he could be our nutty favorite this year. He was making me sad with his comments about his life. Oh well. So long Dracula!

His accent really drove me crazy, but there were probably so many layers to this guy. Mother issues, yikes. I would have like to delve more into why he feels the need to hide behind this persona.

That being said, his dress showed so much more innovation than that stressed-out, backstabbing, little talent hack. His dress was a complete bore. It looked like something out of the Sears prom collection. Malan dress had flaws, but showed true design.

Buford T Pusser 07-20-06 04:42 PM

The Best Week Ever on VH1 is really gonna be bummed that Malan is gone.

story 07-20-06 04:57 PM

My girlfriend is addicted to this show, so when she comes over it usually gets turned on. I go make a snack and read DVDTalk. ;)

Gil Jawetz 07-20-06 05:04 PM

You read DVDTalk threads about Project Runway? You should just watch it with her. It's a fantastic show and she'll think you're a smart guy.

whitetigeress 07-20-06 08:03 PM

I love this show! I am so glad it is back. I hate the guy with the big neck. I didn't like the first challege though. I liked the 2nd season's opener more. I like to see what they can do with just muslin. I can't tell who I like yet. I do like Kain though.

story 07-21-06 10:13 AM

You read DVDTalk threads about Project Runway? You should just watch it with her. It's a fantastic show and she'll think you're a smart guy.

Eh, I'm about to drop cable, and the last thing I want is to become addicted to a "fantastic show." Plus, I wear jeans and t-shirts everyday. I'm not sure I have the appreciation, nor interest, in high fashion the show hinges on.

You want me to watch reality tv? Bring on a third season of Joe Schmo.

Buford T Pusser 07-21-06 09:26 PM

What was season two of Joe Schmo like? I enjoyed the first. Same concept, different guy?

clckworang 07-21-06 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Eh, I'm about to drop cable, and the last thing I want is to become addicted to a "fantastic show." Plus, I wear jeans and t-shirts everyday. I'm not sure I have the appreciation, nor interest, in high fashion the show hinges on.

You want me to watch reality tv? Bring on a third season of Joe Schmo.

That's a pretty poor excuse for not watching. I'm a total T-shirt and jeans guy (or shorts if I'm able) and don't keep up with or care much about fashion in any way, but I really get into the show.

It's not about the fashion, it's about the participants. And you don't have to know much about high fashion to know that when someone sticks a basket on a girl's head that it doesn't look good.

story 07-22-06 01:45 AM

*shrug* Okay. So I should enjoy a show about a topic I have no interest in because the people on it are what it's all about? Maybe next I'll have to start watching Everybody Loves Raymond because of that fine supporting cast I keep hearing about.

story 07-22-06 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
What was season two of Joe Schmo like? I enjoyed the first. Same concept, different guy?

A man and woman this time around, though it was a coupling-type elimination show (which made the ending reveal even more difficult for the actors emotionally, if you ask me). The woman figured it out halfway through, so they let her in on the gag and brought in yet another female Schmo.

Buford T Pusser 07-22-06 11:20 AM

Will the second season ever be released on DVD? :(

clckworang 07-22-06 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
*shrug* Okay. So I should enjoy a show about a topic I have no interest in because the people on it are what it's all about? Maybe next I'll have to start watching Everybody Loves Raymond because of that fine supporting cast I keep hearing about.

The point is that I don't know anything or have much of any interest in survival tactics but I still watch Survivor. You probably don't have much interest in being followed around by cameras and yet you watched Joe Schmo.

All I'm saying is that when it comes to reality shows, most of the time the premise is just the jumping off point. It's the people in the show who make it worth watching. Do you really think 30 million people watch American Idol because they want to be wowed by the amazing singers? Of course not, they watch because they gain an emotional interest in the contestants. Like I said before (and as others have already said), one doesn't have to be into fashion to enjoy the show.

I didn't watch season 1 until I caught reruns on Bravo. Why didn't I watch in the first place? Because I had the "I don't like fashion so obviously this show can't be interesting" attitude that you're giving. I'm not guaranteeing that you will love the show, but what I am saying is that if you leave preconceived judgments at the door, maybe you'll find something you like.

And your ELR example doesn't really make too much sense. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Gil Jawetz 07-23-06 08:57 AM

Alright, no more talk of Joe Schmo and no more talk about NOT liking Project Runway. (Or assuming you wouldn't like it if you would ever watch it) You don't like it, go post in another thread.

I accidentally read a HUGE spoiler at Best Week Ever's website. The headline was about Heidi faking her accent so I thought it would be a silly article but I was instantly confronted with a monster spoiler!!! ARG!!

And to share the misery:
Spoiler:
I guess it's Keith who broke the rules and will assumedly get bounced from the show. Seems his sketches in his portfolio that got him on the show were basically just traced over stills from other desginers' runway shows. Oops!

Either way we'll all know about it for sure on Wednesday.

Buford T Pusser 07-23-06 09:24 AM

I accidentally read a HUGE spoiler at Best Week Ever's website. The headline was about Heidi faking her accent so I thought it would be a silly article but I was instantly confronted with a monster spoiler!!! ARG!!

And to share the misery:
Spoiler:
I guess it's Keith who broke the rules and will assumedly get bounced from the show. Seems his sketches in his portfolio that got him on the show were basically just traced over stills from other desginers' runway shows. Oops!

Either way we'll all know about it for sure on Wednesday.

A co-worker (a woman, but she's balding and is not as fashionable as she thinks) showed me some stuff about that on a few sites but it didn't say for sure how it would end.

A guy at work (gay and annoying, but almost deaf, who loves to massage women's shoulders) is positive that this show is done three weeks in advance and they're still in the house and dealing with the issue.