DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Project Runway -- Appreciation Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/401115-project-runway-appreciation-thread.html)

iggystar 12-17-04 10:20 AM

Project Runway -- Appreciation Thread
 
The fashion world has always mystified yet sparked curiosity in me. Clothes on the runway that one would never see in a store, that the average woman could never fit. How do designers come up with those designs? Why?

Ok, Project Runway is here and I love it. I've been given a view into the fashion design process and am really intrigued by it. There is a method to the madness and just because something it "out there" design-wise doesn't mean it will look good.

How the designers come up with these creations with the given theme, materials and limited time amazes me. The first episode, with the designers given $50.00 to find their materials at a grocery store -- wow. I really thought that someone would throw in the towel at this challenge. Instead we got extremely creative dresses, made out of garbage bags, tin foil, stockings.

Then on the other hand, it is glaring the designers who just don't have what it takes (Star, for example). You see what sub-par designs look like.

Love, love, love this show.

Timber 12-17-04 12:16 PM

Star was like a deer caught in the headlights from the start.

I actually liked the bucther paper outfit form the first week and thought the designer got the short end of the stick.

iggystar 12-17-04 06:33 PM

Can't say that I liked the butcher paper, however, we can both agree that it was light years better than that tin foil, "I love the 80's", wreck that Starr made. On that alone Daniel should have made it to the next week.

She looked like some scared forest creater, so skinny with those contacts and hysterical all of the time. In way over her head.

Trigger 12-17-04 06:52 PM

I wish I had seen the grocery story episode - all I saw was the Banana Republic one... I like the show and it's more something my gf would be into since she's all about fashion design.

candyrocket786 12-17-04 09:06 PM

Here's the real star of the show :D

http://www.bravotv.com/images/Projec...omp_austin.jpg

candyrocket786 12-17-04 09:08 PM

I believe this past week's episode will be shown again on Sun @ 9pm CST

Timber 12-18-04 12:39 AM


Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Here's the real star of the show :D

http://www.bravotv.com/images/Projec...omp_austin.jpg

Yes he is the "star" I wasn't expecting the open "flamboyancy" of the show. It actually a little interesting and quite funny. I thought Heidi Klum plus models was just going to be a nice eye candy show

iggystar 12-20-04 09:30 AM


Originally Posted by Trigger
I wish I had seen the grocery story episode - all I saw was the Banana Republic one... I like the show and it's more something my gf would be into since she's all about fashion design.

So good it should have been a "sweeps" episode. I couldn't believe what they came up with from the grocery store. Trust me, I would have packed my bags and just left.

You can check out the outfits from this episode:

www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/Episode_1/The_Runway/Austin.shtml#rw_top

Trigger 12-20-04 06:32 PM

what's with the pregnant/fat looking model in episode 2?

shoppingbear 12-20-04 06:51 PM


Originally Posted by Trigger
what's with the pregnant/fat looking model in episode 2?

IIRC, the theme was "Envy", and he was trying to make the model look pregnant, as a symbol of what people are envious of (having children). :)

Kasha 12-20-04 08:30 PM


Originally Posted by Trigger
I wish I had seen the grocery story episode - all I saw was the Banana Republic one... I like the show and it's more something my gf would be into since she's all about fashion design.

Bravo is showing the first three episodes on Wednesday, 12/22, starting at 8 EDT.

Buford T Pusser 12-23-04 01:27 AM

Mrs. Pusser and I are enjoying this show. She just watched one of the episodes a second time.

Buford T Pusser 12-23-04 01:32 AM

Heidi Klum thinks she's the mastermind of the show.


"Where are my designers?"


"What do my judges think?"

candyrocket786 01-05-05 09:10 PM

New episode tonight.

Looks like the designers will have to work in teams for the 4th Task.

candyrocket786 02-24-05 12:51 AM

Jay Mccarroll Wins.....Fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!!! :D

http://www.bravotv.com/images/Projec...s_comp_jay.jpg

meritocracy 02-24-05 01:17 AM

Nice...I was hoping he of the three remaining would win.

Buford T Pusser 02-24-05 01:20 AM

We were hoping Jay would win.

Darq 02-24-05 02:43 AM

We were glad Kara Saun didn't win. We liked her in the previous episodes, but jeez -- was she a self-righteous-hypocrite in this finale or what? We found ourselves rooting for Wendy at the end (underdog syndrome), but Jay was a good winner also.

candyrocket786 02-24-05 08:29 AM


Originally Posted by Darq
We were glad Kara Saun didn't win. We liked her in the previous episodes, but jeez -- was she a self-righteous-hypocrite in this finale or what? We found ourselves rooting for Wendy at the end (underdog syndrome), but Jay was a good winner also.

The total change in Kara Saun took me off guard. I really thought she should have been disqualified for violating the contract with the whole "shoe thing".

Oh well.... at least Jay still won in the end.

Buford T Pusser 02-24-05 09:23 AM

I agree that the shoe bit was not fair and didn't care for the way she justified it. Her Louis Vuitton bag, Carhart jacket guy should not have been employed.

She really flaunted the rules with saying just charge me a low amount for them. But in the end she knew the judges weren't going to say, "we loved your clothes the most, but due to the shoes we're giving another person the win".



Plus Kara is doing fine with her biz in LA and poor Jay may not have carried on as easily from his locale in PA. Maybe now he can get a Benz in the garage just like Kara. Bling bling.

Darq 02-24-05 10:01 AM

Ok.. one question here. What exactly did Wendy DO to all these people? What... she answered one direct question from the judges on two separate weeks that wasn't all bubble gum? Grow up, people.

(I'm probably still running on underdog-syndrome fumes...)

bigsoos 02-24-05 10:55 AM

I can't believe I got addicted to the show as well.

I wanted Kara to win at first, but the whole shoe thing threw me off.
Wendy was basically like Richard Hatch from Survivor near the end of the show. Always hated that stupid "right side of the head" gray hair. I think everyone else was playing the game based solely on their design talent. Wendy played it like Survivor. The one time she did win is b/c she just copied what Banana Republic was already doing.

iggystar 02-24-05 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by Darq
Ok.. one question here. What exactly did Wendy DO to all these people? What... she answered one direct question from the judges on two separate weeks that wasn't all bubble gum? Grow up, people.

(I'm probably still running on underdog-syndrome fumes...)

Have you watched the show outside of a few episodes? Basically the reason why she's so generally hated, amongst the other designers and many fans of the show, is due to her scheming demeanor. Many were hoping that Runway would be more about the designer's talent rather than back-biting, treachery and alliances that are featured and necessary in shows like Survivor/The Apprentice.

Now granted, I like those shows as well but it just wasn't necessary here, it seemed so out of place. From the start she was acting like she was on a deserted island somewhere, plotting to use her daugther as a ploy in the game, admitting that she was going to do anything to make it to the end....just sew your outfits woman.

If her talent matched her bitchiness it would be one thing, but it didn't. She wasn't the worst designer there, she was good enough to make it to later rounds, but the fake-drama she created was just uncalled for.

Anyway, Jay was the true underdog because his tastes/designs were so quirky. He was at risk of being a one-note designer being the "crazy", out-there one. Instead he made incredibly beautiful dresses and broke out of his own mold. GO JAY.

iggystar 02-24-05 11:17 AM


Originally Posted by bigsoos
I can't believe I got addicted to the show as well.

I wanted Kara to win at first, but the whole shoe thing threw me off.

The one time she did win is b/c she just copied what Banana Republic was already doing.

Kara was tripping. I think the stress got to her, she was acting out of her character for sure. HOWEVER, her designs were wonderful. So good that I think she was allowed to have a meltdown.

This was the first reality finale where I truly wasn't disappointed. I loved Kara and Jay's lines equally, just for different reasons. Kara had the elegance, Jay had the rock star quality. Both are going to go far.

Now for Wendy - as the judges expressed is a good tailor...ouch. Her collection had no cohesiveness. Earth tone see-through one dress, fushia 50's style the next. Please.

Darq 02-24-05 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by iggystar
Have you watched the show outside of a few episodes? Basically the reason why she's so generally hated, amongst the other designers and many fans of the show, is due to her scheming demeanor. Many were hoping that Runway would be more about the designer's talent rather than back-biting, treachery and alliances that are featured and necessary in shows like Survivor/The Apprentice.

I think we missed the first 2 or 3 episodes, but we're going to catch up on those since we were able to record them during the marathon.

I understand that some (most?) people don't like the "scheming" aspect, but for others, scheming equals strategy. Actually, in my book, if you're on a TV show that displays behind-the-scenes action of a competition where people get kicked out weekly, you're on a reality show. Whether the contestants like it or not, it's a contest/competition/game. You do what is necessary to win -- otherwise, why are you there? However, i do admit that in SOME contests, dishonesty/lying may not be necessary. But there's nothing wrong with a good strategy.

Were there certain points where Wendy flat out lied to people? At least Wendy wasn't trying to rationalize how custom-made designer shoes (for $15???) and free assistant help were teh same as choosing shoes from a pile that everyone has access to.

iggystar 02-24-05 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by Darq
I understand that some (most?) people don't like the "scheming" aspect, but for others, scheming equals strategy.

Whether the contestants like it or not, it's a contest/competition/game. You do what is necessary to win -- otherwise, why are you there? However, i do admit that in SOME contests, dishonesty/lying may not be necessary. But there's nothing wrong with a good strategy.

I never said Project Runway wasn't a reality show. However, all reality shows are not the same. PR is one that didn't require the same amount of strategy and conniving that on other shows is a necessity. I believe that's what bothers people the most.

Would you expect one of the contestants on The Apprentice to use the "my grandmother just died" bit that Johnny Fairplay used on Survivor? I mean there is an amount of back biting and game playing on The Apprentice, but using tactics that just don't work in such a setting is just annoying.

Wendy specifically stated she would use her role as a mother to gain an advantage (among other statements). What? Would someone purposely rip a bodice to lose a challenge because she mentions her daughter got the whooping cough and misses her Mommy? No, so why even go there. Many of her ploys simply took the focus of the show off of the talent (or lack thereof) and the demands of the challenges (which they had very little time to complete). She wasted time on her devising that she should have used on making better clothes.

I could see if she even curried favor so that someone would help her. But she just used this bitch factor that turned off so many.

And you won't find a Kara fan that will defend her in the "shoe-gate". She was wrong. However, her talent spoke for itself and her professionalism as well (up to that point).

If you want to make yourself an enemy don't be so shocked when others view you as one.

Darq 02-24-05 07:39 PM


Originally Posted by iggystar
I never said Project Runway wasn't a reality show. However, all reality shows are not the same. PR is one that didn't require the same amount of strategy and conniving that on other shows is a necessity. I believe that's what bothers people the most.

Would you expect one of the contestants on The Apprentice to use the "my grandmother just died" bit that Johnny Fairplay used on Survivor? I mean there is an amount of back biting and game playing on The Apprentice, but using tactics that just don't work in such a setting is just annoying.

I didn't mean to state that you didn't think PR wasn't a reality show. I meant that it seemed that some of the contestants didn't think so.

In any case, no, i wouldn't expect the grandmother bit to work on the Apprentice. But if you think about it, most of the tactics that you WOULD use on the Apprentice would also apply to PR. You try to make yourself look good and make your opponents look bad -- all in front of the judges.

iggystar 02-25-05 11:35 AM


Originally Posted by Darq
In any case, no, i wouldn't expect the grandmother bit to work on the Apprentice. But if you think about it, most of the tactics that you WOULD use on the Apprentice would also apply to PR. You try to make yourself look good and make your opponents look bad -- all in front of the judges.


I would agree that a few of the tactics used in The Apprentice would translate to Runway, but for the most part most of this was still useless, therefore causing Wendy to be just irritating.

There were only two group challenges where the designers could benefit from making the others look bad. In the first group challenge Wendy made her partner Austin look like a bad leader. At that time, while I disagreed with her assessment, it was completely appropriate because everyone was asked to comment about the weakest member of the group. So her strategy was fine at that time, especially since Vanessa shot herself in the foot by naming herself as a poor sewer instead of getting some balls and picking someone else. Bad idea, she was eliminated.

The second time was the 2055 futuristic challenge. Sure Wendy pointed fingers at Keven for being a poor leader, yada, yada - making him look bad, etc. Again, didn't agree with what she said, but fine. However, it was Kevin's outfit (which didn't match the others when it was supposed to be a matching collection) that got him booted not much as her back biting.

Wendy had inconsistent, mediocre talent. Enough to get her past to the subsequent rounds. But for the most part when she wasn't chosen to get cut it was because one of the other designers made a glaring error in design choice, or in the final challenge someone actually chose her design (there was no one else to eliminate). So still these tactics were pretty much worthless which is why many disliked Wendy. She didn't have the sense to figure out that she should have spent time trying to at least copy another designers idea (heck, that I could understand).

The outfits spoke for themselves and the judges didn't use the other designers input in their decision to eliminate. This is still another animal than the other reality shows.

fnordboy 02-25-05 12:10 PM

I can't believe I missed this thread all these months. :eek:

This was hands down the best reality show ever on TV. I was sooo hooked on this show it was ridiculous. I liked a lot of the people on it and it was absolutely hilarious at times and extremely infuriating at others.

Most of the people who got kicked off deserved it, a few didn't IMO. Kevin, while a little bit of a schemer, should not have gotten kicked off when he did. Wendy should have gone that day. She was a lackluster designer at best and that outfit was one of her worst. Unfortunately I think the judges/producers kept certain people on too long just because of their personalities and what they could bring to the show (humor/drama/etc.), Robert and Wendy were perfect examples.

I was very glad to see Jay win. He was definitely who I was rooting for almost the whole series. I really liked Kara Saun's designs in the show, but I didn't care for her final runway show at all. Plus her attitude and the whole shoe thing really ruined my image of her. Jay, I think, was true to himself the whole show and really played fairly and used only his talent to get by. I wish it would have been an Austin, Jay, Kara Saun finale, but I guess it was worth seeing Wendy in the end for the 2 hour bitchfest that was the finale. Atleast Austin did get to show at Fashion Week, I wish they would brought that up on the show though. I am so glad that I ordered one of Jay's cuffs that they were selling on the Project Runway site for my girlfriend before they took them down. We should soon have an original Jay McCarroll design in the apt. :)

Any idea of if this will be released on DVD? I know it did great ratings wise so I am assuming it will. I already recorded and burned the series just in case they don't, but I would like to buy an official release (w/ extras!).

Timber 02-25-05 12:29 PM

I was slightly turned off by Kara over the shoe thing but I still thought she had the best collection. Jay was my favorite character on the show so I was happy to see him win. I still can't stand WEndy no matter how much they tried to make you feel sorry for her on the final show (it actually worked on my wife who went in hating Wendy and liking Kara but came out with the opposite feeling)

Darq 02-25-05 12:30 PM

Iggy - I agree with you regarding Wendy's talent. Looking at the past episodes (and as clearly seen in the finale), Wendy wasn't at the same level of Kara and Jay. I'm completely fine with Jay winning. The only reason i was rooting for Wendy at some points were because i was fuming at Kara (who we were rooting for the day before the finale aired).

In any case, my point earlier was that it seemed like the other contestants were overly pissed at someone playing a more strategic game than them, and even then, what she did wasn't as "evil" as they were making it seem. It's not Wendy's fault that there was a bigger goof by someone else every week.

Jonny2k1 02-25-05 12:38 PM

I only caught the last four episodes (or something like that) but I instantly becamed hooked. There was just something about this show that was really interesting to me. I was glad that Kara Saun didn't win - she seemed like a self-righteous bitch. Wendy was indeed a bitch, but at least she admitted her faults. I didn't think she had the talent to win, and I was very happy to see Jay win. I think he deserved it more than the other two. Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the other designers, except for Austin so I don't know what they had to offer.

iggystar 02-25-05 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by Darq
In any case, my point earlier was that it seemed like the other contestants were overly pissed at someone playing a more strategic game than them, and even then, what she did wasn't as "evil" as they were making it seem. It's not Wendy's fault that there was a bigger goof by someone else every week.

Hmmm, she played the game with unnecessary strategy, got on everyone's nerves, created drama when none existed so she's a saint? I think the cast was calling her out for her actions, period. They didn't like her. Some of the designers even befriended her, so yeah, they were pissed. If being a bitch gets you ahead, that's one thing. Being a bitch just to be one...makes you a bitch. So since she's just this rural wife and mom who played a more strategic game then I'll call her not-so-bright for using strategies that had no use in the challenges at hand.

Just like Kara. I am a big Kara fan. I loved her designs. But I'm not going to sit and defend her and the shoe situation. It turned many people off. I'm not going to reason why someone should still like her when her actions were really low-class and sneaky. She will be held accountable in the court of public opinion for what she did as will Wendy.

However, in the end Jay's collection was stronger and I'm glad he won. His show-ending fushia dress was soooooo beautiful I've been having dreams about it. Unlike the judges I loved his use of color (I'm a matchy type of girl). And what a funny character.

Darq 02-25-05 02:32 PM

I never called her a saint. But the real question is why are you so arguing so passionately about this? I didn't intend for my last post to be antagonistic at all.

iggystar 02-25-05 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by Darq
I never called her a saint. But the real question is why are you so arguing so passionately about this? I didn't intend for my last post to be antagonistic at all.

This is a forum for discussion and debate. You keep posting, with me quoted, therefore I keep responding. You can always end the discussion by not responding to my posts. I didn't think you're being antagonistic, however, I think you're wrong and feel it's my right to say so. Nothing more. If it's simply a matter that you want the last word, just say so.

Darq 02-25-05 03:44 PM

I feel we've both stated our sides clearly.

iggystar 02-25-05 04:03 PM


Originally Posted by Darq
I feel we've both stated our sides clearly.

Agreed. And that is the last word (I don't mind saying so).

iggystar 02-25-05 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by fnordboy
I can't believe I missed this thread all these months. :eek:

This was hands down the best reality show ever on TV. I was sooo hooked on this show it was ridiculous. I liked a lot of the people on it and it was absolutely hilarious at times and extremely infuriating at others.

I am so glad that I ordered one of Jay's cuffs that they were selling on the Project Runway site for my girlfriend before they took them down.

Exactly, I watched from beginning to end. Hopefully they'll get the kinks out of the judging for next season. Some of those guest judges...especially Nancy O'Dell, threw things off.

Did you check out the "Tim's Take" section on the Runway site? He gave some really good opinions of each designers and their designs.

And what's this cuff you're talking about? I didn't get to check out the merchandise.

fnordboy 02-25-05 04:57 PM


Originally Posted by iggystar
Exactly, I watched from beginning to end. Hopefully they'll get the kinks out of the judging for next season. Some of those guest judges...especially Nancy O'Dell, threw things off.

Did you check out the "Tim's Take" section on the Runway site? He gave some really good opinions of each designers and their designs.

And what's this cuff you're talking about? I didn't get to check out the merchandise.

Nancy O'Dell screwed the show badly. The Judges were obviously going to drop Wendy then but once blind as a bat O'Dell picked Wendy's we were all screwed. I loved the looks on the faces of Micheal Kors and Nina Garcia when she chose Wendy's :lol:.

I didn't read any of Tim's Take yet, but my girlfriend did and told me about it. Seemed really interesting, I should really get around to reading it. For a laugh you should check out Wendy Pepper's site, she did a running commentary for each episode on there.

Jay had these wide fabric bracelets for sale on the Project Runway site. You chose a style (camo, floral, or stripes) and he would make one in that style. They were dirt cheap, only $25 each. So I ordered one. The next Monday after Fashion Week they mysteriously disappeared from the site. I am thinking because he got too many orders and couldn't meet the demand (especially after he won). I don't know. Hopefully it should arrive in about 2 weeks so I will try to remember to take a pic and post it here.

Buford T Pusser 02-25-05 05:27 PM

I'll have to check out the Tim's Take and Wendy reading.

direct links?



It was a bit annoying with Wendy wearing a t-shirt and hat with her likeness and name.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.