Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Biggest Loser - 12/7

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Biggest Loser - 12/7

I haven't seen any threads on this show yet, has anyone been watching?
I've been watching the last few weeks, and thought they made the show too predctable now.

They now have went with the Survivor merge and immunity challenge angle now with the top 6. That's fine. So they are now all of a sudden going by total % bodyweight lost, instead of individual pounds lost. Ok... I see where that comes in, it trys to even out the playing field for those that weighed less to begin with. The way they are doing the vote off really irks me. Why did they make only the bottom 2 able to be voted off? It kills any strategy.

Maurice is currently at the bottom, and probably will always be there. There is no way he can lose an extra 8-10% weight in one week (over 40 pounds) to make up the difference and get above the yellow line. So they will always vote off the second-to-last person, as they are more of a threat (they may be able to jump into the safety zone). The only scenario that could change that is if the person with immunity is under the yellow line. I really don't see where there is going to be any other strategy or any thrill?

Last edited by Maquis; 12-08-04 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just saw the last couple of mins.. how did they get immunity? i assume a challenge, but what type?
Old 12-08-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
just saw the last couple of mins.. how did they get immunity? i assume a challenge, but what type?
They had to pedal an exercise bike for four hours. Most mileage pedaled in 4 hours won. I thought that was a great challenge, I'm surprised no one stopped. I think it would have been more interesting though if the contestants did not know how many miles they had pedaled until the end. If it was a surprise it would have been more dramatic.

I really like the change for bodyweight %-- I think they should have done that from the beginning. I still hate the whole "vote off someone" concept as I think that is just overdone. I'd much rather see the true "Biggest Loser' win. Not the person who politicked the best.

I was sad to see Drea go instead of bitchface Lisa or lazy-ass Mo. Why is he even on this show? He acts like he does not even care he is so overweight.
Old 12-08-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
They had to pedal an exercise bike for four hours. Most mileage pedaled in 4 hours won. I thought that was a great challenge, I'm surprised no one stopped. I think it would have been more interesting though if the contestants did not know how many miles they had pedaled until the end. If it was a surprise it would have been more dramatic.

I really like the change for bodyweight %-- I think they should have done that from the beginning. I still hate the whole "vote off someone" concept as I think that is just overdone. I'd much rather see the true "Biggest Loser' win. Not the person who politicked the best.

I was sad to see Drea go instead of bitchface Lisa or lazy-ass Mo. Why is he even on this show? He acts like he does not even care he is so overweight.

do you recall approx how many miles they hit? curious if I can even hit that level
Old 12-08-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
do you recall approx how many miles they hit? curious if I can even hit that level
The guy who won, Gary, did 79 miles IIRC. The rest of them were mainly in the 60-something mile range.
Old 12-08-04, 11:40 PM

The "lazy-guy" Mo has lost over 50 pounds. I think he is doing great. I don't really see him as lazy but just really overweight. IF you were to strap on 300 or 400 lbs to your body, see how fast you can run and how long you can work out. I think everyone of those people should be rewarded in some way. I guess they are, in that they are losing the weight.
Old 12-09-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timmio
The "lazy-guy" Mo has lost over 50 pounds. I think he is doing great. I don't really see him as lazy but just really overweight. IF you were to strap on 300 or 400 lbs to your body, see how fast you can run and how long you can work out. I think everyone of those people should be rewarded in some way. I guess they are, in that they are losing the weight.
I just don't see him as committed to weight loss as I do the others. They have often showed him making questionable choices with his diet. And as it has been pointed out often on the show, a man of that size who is suddenly thrust into a strict diet and exercise program should be losing weight a lot faster than the rest of them. He has lost the same amount of weight as some of the women who were half his size to begin with. It takes a ton of calories to maintain 400 pounds-- if he is suddenly consuming the calories of a normal size man and is burning so much through exercise, the weight should be coming off a lot more quickly.
Old 12-09-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
The guy who won, Gary, did 79 miles IIRC. The rest of them were mainly in the 60-something mile range.
The problem was that they basically had no resistence on the bike as far as I could tell. The fact that Moe was able to bike for 4 hours shows that the most difficult part of the challenge was sitting in one place for 4 hours.
Old 12-09-04, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Timmio
I have only been watching for the last 3-4 weeks but I think Moe went a couple of shows without losing any weight. It's obvious that at least those weeks he didn't try at all. Agreed at his size that if he really wanted to, he should lose 10+ lbs each week without much difficultly at all. Think about it, all you are doing each day is working out with trainers and being coached how to eat right.
Old 12-09-04, 01:35 PM

This may be more of a question but with Mo I always see him with weights and from what I heard muscle weighs more. I never seen him run (injury and by choice) but would just the diet and the weight work really have him lose weight or do you think it is just a wash? Just curious and my fiance' and I have been watching from the get go and we enjoy it.
Old 12-09-04, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Flatlander
This may be more of a question but with Mo I always see him with weights and from what I heard muscle weighs more. I never seen him run (injury and by choice) but would just the diet and the weight work really have him lose weight or do you think it is just a wash? Just curious and my fiance' and I have been watching from the get go and we enjoy it.
Like I said, I haven't really been following it closely but the only weights I have seen anyone use were very light so I doubt there is much muscle building going on in any of these people. Of course, the ideal body changing routine would include diet, cardio, and strength training, but in the context of this show, adding muscle would not help their weight loss in the short term. It would have been better to do the show with percentage body fat and have these people lift weights to gain mass as well as attempt to lose fat. So my direct answer to you is that while adding muscle could account for Moe's lack of weight loss, my guess is that he just isn't losing the weight b/c he isn't losing much fat. The fact that his teammates have said that he doesn't do very well with the diet, as well as his lack of motivation/ability to work out would support this view.
Old 12-09-04, 04:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the new change concerning the % and having the two smallest losers be vulnerable, and think they should've done this from the beginning. What I would change is having the other contestants choose who goes. Instead they should have a group of impartial trainers, dieticians, etc. make that call between the two below the line.