Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The New Screensavers sucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nny
Yeah, he had an internet radio show about 5 years ago. He went by Immortal and then changed it to Immy or Captain Immy.

I will admit I am disappointed by how little depth some of their features have, but the old TSS was so boring, I could never watch it. Maybe I just wasn't that interested in the subjects they covered. The new TSS spends a little more time on things I'm interested in and manages to make stuff I don't care about entertaining. I haven't missed an episode since Kevin P. came on and I'm not sure I ever made it through a whole episode before.
Well congrats. People like you are the reason G4 raped TechTV and threw the old TSS in the dumpster to give us this current steaming pile. The old TSS from when the network was ZDTV was the best on up to when Patrick left. This show they have now is barely watchable. I guess people with an IQ over 40 are just out of luck.
Old 02-28-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Well congrats. People like you are the reason G4 raped TechTV and threw the old TSS in the dumpster to give us this current steaming pile. The old TSS from when the network was ZDTV was the best on up to when Patrick left. This show they have now is barely watchable. I guess people with an IQ over 40 are just out of luck.
Ouch.

The ZDTV days were the best. Even though things fealt kind of raw (and borderline cable access channel at times) it was just really fun stuff. I really wish I had some of the old TSS/Gamespot eps on tape. It would be cool if they had a "from the vaults" block that they ran late/overnight/when nobody cared that showcased some of the older shows. It would be cool to see just how far tech has come since the birth of the channel. And how AMAZING they found 1.2 pentium processors and shit.

G4 had potential but it's pretty much a lost cause now. All of the shows are really light on substance or are so busy trying to be funny (X-Play) for me to get into. I like how the guys at gamespot.com give video reviews. The review is treated somewhat serious, go for more than 2-3 mins, and no constant jokes every 4 seconds which I think is great. But why am I still complaining about this?
Old 02-28-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Ouch.

It would be cool if they had a "from the vaults" block that they ran late/overnight/when nobody cared that showcased some of the older shows. It would be cool to see just how far tech has come since the birth of the channel. And how AMAZING they found 1.2 pentium processors and shit.
The probably don't the rights to show those, but they probably never would even if they did, if only because it would tend to highlight how much worse things are now.

Would be funny, though, if they did, and episodes from 3 years ago about 3-year old technology got better ratings than the current eps.
Old 02-28-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Would be funny, though, if they did, and episodes from 3 years ago about 3-year old technology got better ratings than the current eps.
I can see that happening. Run them at like 3 AM and those would yield more viewers than the primetime slot.
Old 03-01-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am glad that there will be no more "DVDarlings". I didn't like the segment, and didn't think that it was really working. But then again, you can say that about most of the show.
Old 03-01-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
I am glad that there will be no more "DVDarlings". I didn't like the segment, and didn't think that it was really working. But then again, you can say that about most of the show.
Actually, yesterday's show said we can expect a "DVDuesday" segment today. They must of found someone else to come in.
Old 03-02-05, 12:32 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saying something you don't like is only for people of an IQ lower than "insert random number here" is the surest sign of intelligence.

As for DVDuesday, I'm surprised they got a relatively high profile replacement this quickly. I don't really like Chris Gore, but he does have a decent amount of TV experience and I think Film Threat has a lot more clout than DVDTalk.
Old 03-02-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nny
Saying something you don't like is only for people of an IQ lower than "insert random number here" is the surest sign of intelligence.
In the case of G4/Tech-TV it fits. It goes beyond "not liking" what the channel has been turned into. The channel has, in fact, been dumbed down.
Old 03-02-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris Gore seems to be a lot more at home doing the segment than Kim was. At least they got rid of "DVDo's" and "DVDon'ts". I have to question his DVD knowledge if he claims Bambi comes out 03/15 considering I just rented it yesterday.
Old 03-02-05, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot about this. Who is this new guy? Was it basically the same segment, or was it different?
Old 03-02-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
I forgot about this. Who is this new guy? Was it basically the same segment, or was it different?
Basically the same segment, just no do's/don'ts list like Kim had in the last few weeks. They only reviewed three: Lost in Space S3 V1, Incident at Loch Ness, and the Spongebob movie.
Old 03-02-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nny
Well in this case it does fit. On the old TSS you could learn things like the differences between the newest processors. Which video card is good for overclocking. How to do things with photoshop. And they actually had calls from people that had computer questions. You know, useful stuff. Now its Kevin P making stupid jokes and trying to be funny all the time but failing horribly much like everything he does. Talking about DVD's. Making a tiny speaker box out of headphones for your Ipod shuffle (totally useless application by the way). Talking to some guy that made a website devoted to japanese toys. Video game stuff. Oh and the 15 min of witty banter between Sarah and Kevin, yes you idiots we know you are dating. TSS now is useless, much like the rest of the crap on G4. So if you want to actually learn something (a sign of a higher intelligence) then the old TSS was miles better than what we have now. If you want to just sit there and be easily amused by useless crap then now is the the time to watch TSS.
Old 03-02-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,966 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Well in this case it does fit. On the old TSS you could learn things like the differences between the newest processors. Which video card is good for overclocking. How to do things with photoshop. And they actually had calls from people that had computer questions. You know, useful stuff. Now its Kevin P making stupid jokes and trying to be funny all the time but failing horribly much like everything he does. Talking about DVD's. Making a tiny speaker box out of headphones for your Ipod shuffle (totally useless application by the way). Talking to some guy that made a website devoted to japanese toys. Video game stuff. Oh and the 15 min of witty banter between Sarah and Kevin, yes you idiots we know you are dating. TSS now is useless, much like the rest of the crap on G4. So if you want to actually learn something (a sign of a higher intelligence) then the old TSS was miles better than what we have now. If you want to just sit there and be easily amused by useless crap then now is the the time to watch TSS.
they had an ep with a guy who made a website for Japanese toys? which one?

Okay, okay, I'm a geek (and apparently my IQ is lower than I thought). But I did prefer the old screensavers! I wished they could have just left it alone, and let G4 appeal to whomever it appeals to (apparently people that like to watch repeats almost 24 hours a day).
Old 03-02-05, 01:48 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

That has nothing to do with IQ. I've scored in the 99th percentile of every standarized test I've ever taken and you're implying my IQ is below 40.

Sure, some of the stuff they talk about is useless, but I found most subjects they talked about on the old TSS to be useless to me too. The fact that it's actually entertaining now means I can enjoy the useless stuff alongside the more useful information. I believe most people would agree that pretty much all of the G4 shows and all of the TechTV shows are poorly made. In spite of that, I still enjoyed the G4 shows because I'm into gaming. Apparently the rest of you are into tech stuff, so you liked the TechTV shows. It's too bad that you lost a channel dedicated to your interests, but any TechTV fan that attacks the quality of G4's shows is just deluding himself.

A good example of the inferior quality of the old TechTV is Leo on Live with Regis and Kelly. Everytime Leo went on Regis, it was entertaining because he was able to play off Regis and Kelly and have fun with the segment. Leo on TechTV was a nice guy who also happened to be very boring because he was surrounded by a dull environment and uninteresting people. Kevin P is the most entertaining person either channel has ever hired. I realize this is just opinion, but you're trying to state with absolute fact that Immy is only entertaining to idiots.
Old 03-02-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nny
That has nothing to do with IQ. I've scored in the 99th percentile of every standarized test I've ever taken and you're implying my IQ is below 40.

Sure, some of the stuff they talk about is useless, but I found most subjects they talked about on the old TSS to be useless to me too. The fact that it's actually entertaining now means I can enjoy the useless stuff alongside the more useful information. I believe most people would agree that pretty much all of the G4 shows and all of the TechTV shows are poorly made. In spite of that, I still enjoyed the G4 shows because I'm into gaming. Apparently the rest of you are into tech stuff, so you liked the TechTV shows. It's too bad that you lost a channel dedicated to your interests, but any TechTV fan that attacks the quality of G4's shows is just deluding himself.

A good example of the inferior quality of the old TechTV is Leo on Live with Regis and Kelly. Everytime Leo went on Regis, it was entertaining because he was able to play off Regis and Kelly and have fun with the segment. Leo on TechTV was a nice guy who also happened to be very boring because he was surrounded by a dull environment and uninteresting people. Kevin P is the most entertaining person either channel has ever hired. I realize this is just opinion, but you're trying to state with absolute fact that Immy is only entertaining to idiots.

You're trying to state that it's an absolute fact that I ment literally that you have to have an IQ under 40 to enjoy TSS. I was joking. I was trying to imply that TSS isn't as informative as it once was nor does it try to make you think about anything other than what cute smart ass thing Kevin R is going to say to Sarah to "wow" the audience into thinking that he won't be getting laid that night.

Kevin P is a dumbass. He really knows nothing. He doesn't bring anything to the table other than his stupid jokes. Kevin Rose is probably the smartest one on the show but G4 nuetered him down to being the butt of Kevin P's wisecracks.

And I have no idea who this "Immy" person is that you speak of. I've seen about 2 TSS episodes a week since the format was changed and have not seen anyone named Immy. Unless it's one of the new additions to the show they like to pull out every other week.

And the quality of G4's shows is crap! How many re-runs do they need to show a day? Every time I turn it on it's the Madden Challenge or Sweat! or Judgement Day reviewing some year old game. The only shows I like are ICONS, X-Play(which is from TechTV), and Filter(only recently after they redid the show).

As much as I complain about G4 I find myself watching it more and more just because there is no other channel that has their kind of programming. That I will admit but I wish they hadn't raped TechTV. Fired all the good people from the network just to show the same ol G4 stuff.
Old 03-02-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, with that high an IQ you should have picked up on the sarcasm.....
Old 03-02-05, 02:28 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hehe, I know the IQ line isn't completely serious, but it's still an insult. If I'm to be insulted, I prefer the insult to have some intelligence or sense of humor associated with it. As I sarcastically pointed out, his insult was one of the most juvenile, pathetic statements a person can make. Then he retorted by stating, watching the old TSS is a sign of higher intelligence. I'm sorry I didn't realize I was just supposed to accept that statement as fact.
Old 03-02-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, either way, I think the show is fine. it is a little to animated with Kevin (the skeleton lookign one) and I don't like the fact that they try to make a joke with every response. other than that, I could care less.
Old 03-02-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nny
Hehe, I know the IQ line isn't completely serious, but it's still an insult. If I'm to be insulted, I prefer the insult to have some intelligence or sense of humor associated with it. As I sarcastically pointed out, his insult was one of the most juvenile, pathetic statements a person can make. Then he retorted by stating, watching the old TSS is a sign of higher intelligence. I'm sorry I didn't realize I was just supposed to accept that statement as fact.

You can say that to me you know. Instead of using "he".

Did I say that what I said was fact? I would think that someone that graduated in the 99 percentile would realize that when someone says what I did they are stating their opinion. Like G4 all you want. I was stating my opinion on why I didn't like it. And if what I said was an insult then you need some thicker skin. Along with better tastes in TV programming. (the smiley is for the associated humor that you expect.)
Old 03-02-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Did anyone see whogirl or someone from dvdtalk on last night? I was flipping through and heard dvdtalk mentioned and saw a hottie with a lot of eye make-up.

by the way, this is still one of my favorite posts that I've done. no one even mentioned the eye make-up thing.
Old 03-02-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
by the way, this is still one of my favorite posts that I've done. no one even mentioned the eye make-up thing.
If your speaking of Kim Morgan I was thinking along the lines of "how did they get a corpse to act so animated?".
Old 03-02-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If your speaking of Kim Morgan I was thinking along the lines of "how did they get a corpse to act so animated?".

in all fairness, most people would probably get a little nervous being on a (albeit cable) tv show. I think I was rooting for her, mainly, because she was there on behalf of dvdtalk. now, seeing kvrdave or Venusian or someone like that do the dvd segment would have been excellent.
Old 03-03-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nny
I would definately have to disagree with that. Of the two, I would say I'm more into gaming but the quality of "gaming" television on G4 is just awful. I won't even take into account TSS which is more of a hybrid show so just looking at the gaming-centric shows we have:

Cheat: Pretty pointless not to mention dry.
Filter: Diane Mizota is a good enough reason to tune in, but it's another fluff show. It isn't total garbage as it brings back some memories, but they don't say anything I didn't already know. Pretty much just a time filler show.
Icons: The best show G4 has as it's the only one that goes indepth about anything.
X-Play: Ok show but they just try too hard to be funny. Also Adam is a total clown now and his "bits" are hard to watch. I know there are some massive Morgan lusters here, but this show has taken a giant step down.
G4tv.com: Another fluff show. I also get the impression that the 2 girls on the show don't have a clue.
Cinematech: If you like this kind of thing it's great. I don't but I won't hate on it.
Judgement Day: The one guy gives decent reviews, but Tommy Tellorico<sp> really brings the quality of this show down.

I think the big difference in tech tv shows vs. G4 shows is that G4 is out to create personalities and have that MTV feel to their network. Fancy graphics, cute "cue card reading" girls, and fluff/light programming are a staple of the network barring a few. The channel is after casual gamers and a younger audience which is fine. Tech TV on the other hand wasn't really about flash. They didn't dumb down their content and they embraced the "hard core" tech enthusiast and geek crowd. It was a niche channel that embraced it's niche, while G4 is a niche channel thats trying to be bigger and have a more mass appeal. That's why I liked Tech TV so much.

The flagship show on TechTV was TSS. They had scientists, astronauts, program reviews and demonstrations, hack segments, overclocking segments, gaming segments when appropriate, computer programmers as guests, photoshop experts...etc. The show was loaded. I wasn't into all of that stuff, but I just liked a show that was trying to educate while entertain, and they presented all of these things in such a way that it was interesting at least to me.

The flagship show on G4 now is TSS. They have "IT CAAAAAAAAAAME FROM EBAY!". Ok, so they have some useful stuff on there too, and Kevin P's game suggestions are good, but the show has definately lost something.

I think what pains me about G4 in general is that they aren't living up to what the channel could be. I look at how Tech TV covered E3 (carrying live press conferences, interviews with game studios and such) and how G4 covered E3 (they talked/stalked booth babes, had a scavenger hunt, and maybe about 2 hours dedicated to the whole show on a channel DEDICATED TO GAMES!!) to see which channel did things better.
Old 03-03-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does the Screensavers have all this crap about movies and have bands play? It doesn't make any sense. Can't they make a different show with that stuff? TSS is supposed to be about computers, right? Thus the title?
Old 03-03-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh and what happened with the DVDTalk segment. Seems to me that TSS toned down the silliness. Why didn't DVDTalk just request the same thing?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.