Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost 11/03/04

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Morf
Yeah, those 2 times he's said it. Wow, I nearly lost it.
are you Chinese, Korean or any type of Asian ethnicity? If not, then you don't have a leg to stand on in this issue.

I'm pretty sure that it's been more than twice but I could be wrong.
Old 11-08-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dabaomb
are you Chinese, Korean or any type of Asian ethnicity? If not, then you don't have a leg to stand on in this issue.
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but your comment to me makes no sense. Why don't I have a "leg to stand on in this issue"? I think it is pretty safe to say that a majority of non-Asian Americans have a difficult time telling apart the different Asian races. Hurley is just playing that part of Joe Six-Pack - he sees an Asian, and automatically assumes that he is Chinese. I'm not passing judgement; I'm just stating an observation.
Old 11-08-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Morf
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but your comment to me makes no sense. Why don't I have a "leg to stand on in this issue"? I think it is pretty safe to say that a majority of non-Asian Americans have a difficult time telling apart the different Asian races. Hurley is just playing that part of Joe Six-Pack - he sees an Asian, and automatically assumes that he is Chinese. I'm not passing judgement; I'm just stating an observation.
your point is valid.

My point was that he did it several times. I'm not positive if someone corrected him before (I think they did) but Link definitely corrected him this time. That said, I'm hoping that he doesn't make the same mistake again.
Old 11-08-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Dabaomb
your point is valid.

My point was that he did it several times. I'm not positive if someone corrected him before (I think they did) but Link definitely corrected him this time. That said, I'm hoping that he doesn't make the same mistake again.
You're not alone. It pisses me off that he incorrectly calls them Chinese, and I can verify that Link's corrected him before.

And yes, I do recognize the irony in referring to Harold Perrineau as Link in a post bitching about mis-labeling people.
Old 11-08-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
if i remember correctly, hurley said they were chinese before, in the episode where everyone was concerned about water.

no one corrected him then, because no one actually knew that they were korean.

However, this time, michael corrected him because he knew they were korean, after speaking with Sun in the previous episode. And Michael and Sun shared a glance because of michael's adamant response. I think she was worried Jin would be suspicious of Michael's certainty.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-08-04 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Big Boy Laroux
And Michael and Sun shared a glance because of michael's adamant response. I think she was worried Jin would be suspicious of Michael's certainty.
I doubt it, since Jin doesn't speak English.
Old 11-08-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
speaking english of not, i'm sure he would recognize the word "korean"

chances are he's heard that before. we already know he's been in an airport before (where the announcements were in english). i'd be really surprised if he had never heard that word before.
Old 11-08-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Only 49 more hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by rabbit77
And yes, I do recognize the irony in referring to Harold Perrineau as Link in a post bitching about mis-labeling people.

You should refer to him as Hill as this is the TBV forum, lousy movie forum invading this sacred land of das.
Old 11-09-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by rabbit77
It pisses me off that he incorrectly calls them Chinese, and I can verify that Link's corrected him before
It's the character. Hurley is apparently - at least until we get his backstory - supposed to be a clueless dude (I believe someone already referred to him as Joe SixPack) who calls all Asians 'Chinese'. I'm guessing Hurley, for some reason, just doesn't care enough to differentiate between Korean, Japanese or Chinese.

Don't take it personally. I think it is just a recurring gag, not an ethnic slam by the writing staff.

Now, Sawyer constantly calling Sayid "Mohammed" is intentional, but it is still a character thing, not a broad statement by the writers.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 11-09-04 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

darkhorizons.com has a brief q&a with one of the writers, paul dini. he says that all the writers got to pick three characters out of a hat and write their backstories.

"paul got to write for Locke, Sawyer and Sun [Daniel Day Kim's wife]. Paul said that Locke was based off of the real life philosopher John Locke.

When asked if it was a coincidence that Locke seemed to be around at a character's key moment Paul stated that Locke just seems to be an opportunist. He apparently is not good or evil, however, he may play a given situation either way to gain an advantage. It was also said that the monster is sort of a reflection of yourself. The pilot saw it in horror and he was killed because he feared the monster. Locke saw the monster with true awe, therefore, he was able to survive his encounter."

"Jack was originally planned to be killed off in the two hour pilot. The plan was to have someone famous play him and then kill him off before the middle of the second hour. The team talked about getting Michael "Batman" Keaton, however, Paul wasn't sure if they ever made it to the point of approaching him. "

rest of the article here
Old 11-09-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
It's the character. Hurley is apparently - at least until we get his backstory - supposed to be a clueless dude (I believe someone already referred to him as Joe SixPack) who calls all Asians 'Chinese'. I'm guessing Hurley, for some reason, just doesn't care enough to differentiate between Korean, Japanese or Chinese.
I'm guessing that the "Chinese" comments will end now that we have seen someone DIRECTLY correct Hurley. No one has up until now. I think Hurley genuinely thought they were Chinese... garrishly American ignorance that futher promotes his character as little more than a "what do we do NOW?!?!" stooge (see also his wasting of the batteries for his walkman when they were to conserve them to be rescued - the idiot).
Old 11-09-04, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the link on that article, peon73, some interesting tidbits about Lost to read! And any DVD mention about Lost, however small, gets my attention-

------
The decision to air the show in "Pan and Scan" was the network's decision and the DVDs feature widescreen transfers of the show.

One of the original marketing plans was to release the DVD of the two hour pilot some three weeks after it aired. ABC moved on to the concept of just re-airing the show, like NBC and CBS do now, on Saturdays for those viewers who need to catch up. DVD sets are planned with deleted scenes but Disney and Bad Robot have not decided on any release dates yet.
-----
Old 11-09-04, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
(see also his wasting of the batteries for his walkman when they were to conserve them to be rescued - the idiot).
But, the playing of his walkman was pivotal in starting the end-of-show music montage.
Old 11-09-04, 07:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by peon73
"It was also said that the monster is sort of a reflection of yourself. The pilot saw it in horror and he was killed because he feared the monster. Locke saw the monster with true awe, therefore, he was able to survive his encounter."
What does that even mean? I don't get it. The monster is a reflection of yourself?
Old 11-09-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by peon73
"Jack was originally planned to be killed off in the two hour pilot. The plan was to have someone famous play him and then kill him off before the middle of the second hour. The team talked about getting Michael "Batman" Keaton, however, Paul wasn't sure if they ever made it to the point of approaching him. "
Glad that didn't happen. I'd have likely not started watching the show and I certainly would've skipped the pilot.

Marroned with Billy Blazejowski
Old 11-09-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Static Cling
What does that even mean? I don't get it. The monster is a reflection of yourself?
I think he is referring to you innermost demons. Face your inner demons and you are good. It makes some sense, but if you listen to the producers, it isn't supernatural which this theory clearly falls under.
Old 11-09-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I think he is referring to you innermost demons. Face your inner demons and you are good. It makes some sense, but if you listen to the producers, it isn't supernatural which this theory clearly falls under.
I'm sure they passed through some sort of time rift, or aliens beamed them there. See, that's scifi .

Love the show so far though and could probably forgive a hokey explanation.

tasha