Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you have HDTV at home?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do you have HDTV at home?
Yep.
66.81%
Nope.
29.65%
It's not available where I live
3.54%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have HDTV at home?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
you guys with the sweet tv sets and setups - did you post pics in the "post pics of your HT thread" thread? The factor of some of the users' setups here is off the charts.
Old 10-18-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
I too have the 8000HD model. However, I haven't had any problems with it. I've had it since June and haven't encountered any of the problems you noted. Weird.
The TWC guy came out and admitted they 'rushed it out, just to have it out there' and it was buggy when it first came out. Then there was some required upgrade to fix a problem that caused it to reboot every 2 minutes [just *Slightly* annoying] that somehow my machine didn't get. Guy came out here last time, did a Factory Reset, and it's been working pretty well since then. Oh well, the price for being an early adopter --previously I had both an HD and a DVR unit hooked to the same TV, and this is light years better.
Old 10-18-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rolling a cheapy HDtv set up.. I have a HDtv card in the cpu (fusion II) so I can record HDtv to the cpu when I'm not home and so on.. Sep I don't have the whoop ass plasma tv I want just yet so if I want to watch HDtv it's on the 19inch LCD monitor I have for the cpu

the funny thing is that even just playing HDtv in say a mini window as I work on the cpu doing other stuff, it STILL kicks lots of butt.. Just a killer new tech really..

I live with in 25 miles of the tv towers that feed all of sacramento so being we are like the 19th largest tv market in the USA all the stations are pushing digital and HDtv feeds OTA.. (over the air).. So get all the networks including WB, UPN and FOX with just a little home attenna.

Pretty cool... also sort of strange to sit there thinking "WOW this is free?!?!" being after so many years of being fisted by the cable companies I started to think that one "has to" pay $$ to watch anything, forgetting that as a little kid I worked the rabbit ear to watch cartoons etc..... Guess it's gone full circle again on some level..
Old 10-18-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
We're HDTV compatible, but we're waiting for HDTivos to be priced reasonably. The launch of the three new DTV satellites might be another requirement before we get it.
Old 10-18-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a HDTV PVR, but I don't have a HDTV....yet
Old 10-18-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HDTV thru Cox Cable. $10/month more.

NBC
CBS
FOX
WB
ABC
ESPN
PBS
Discovery
INHD - surpisingly good channel. Most watched.
HBO

Watch it all the time. Have never owned a Tivo. Waiting for an HD cable DVR.
Old 10-18-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Yep....through Charter Cable. Poor channel selection so far, only getting

Hd NEt
HDNet Movies
ESPNHD
HBO
Showtime
NBC

and a channel that showed Atlanta Braves games in HD, simulcast from TBS
Old 10-18-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't have an HDTV, but I am using a Sylvania ATSC OTA STB (bought right before Olympics started). Tried a Radio Shack bow-tie antenna before I switched to an RCA Amplified Indoor Antenna and now I can get all local digital channels (85-95% strength) except local WB -- although only my local NBC, ABC, and CBS affiliates are broadcasting the high definition signal.

Even without an HDTV, picture quality is significantly better than the analog signal. Love watching the new shows (LOST, Desperate Housewives) in widescreen! I often archive/record these shows to DVD (anamorphic widescreen) using my Hauppauge PVR-250 with the S-video input -- great quality with the 480i, but I am thinking of getting a progressive scan dvd recorder with component input...any suggestions?
Old 10-18-04, 07:29 PM

I just bought an HDTV over the weekend after my POS RCA finally died a well deserved death but no, no HD programming in my home. However, "Dude Where's my Car" on DVD has never looked so good!
Old 10-18-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Nope, can't afford it
Old 10-18-04, 08:09 PM

Still running just my philips 27in in the rooms , and the older polaroid projector in the basement for movies/gaming..... no hd yet....
Old 10-18-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by rabbit77
you guys with the sweet tv sets and setups - did you post pics in the "post pics of your HT thread" thread? The factor of some of the users' setups here is off the charts.
I keep meaning to. I'm sure my setup isn't as sweet as others, but I love it. I wish I had a couple other items, but I am fortunate to have what I do.

Just finished building some shelves for my collection as well a month ago. Those will go up at the same time, whenever that may be.
Old 10-19-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Samsung 46" DLP w/ D* (no HDTivo yet)

I get all the networks OTA. The antenna farm in Houston is about 80 miles away so they don't always come in. I also have the standard HD package from D*. I'll be very happy when D* adds HD locals next year.
Old 10-19-04, 08:57 AM
Banned

I'm waiting for HDTV to become a commodity type item before I buy in. Plus I'd need a small enough HDTV available (I have my doubts if they even make a 20" HDTV, but I haven't looked either).

I'm more likely to get it as part of a TV/video capture card in a future computer upgrade.
Old 10-19-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
48" Mits with DirecTV HD package and antenna locals. Had it for nearly two years now, and absolutely love it. Also have a regular DirecTivo, but some shows require live HD viewing (Lost is fabulous in HD).

At first I'd watch anything that was in HD. Now with the big bump in available programming, I only watch the shows I like instead of watching something in HD simply because it's HD.
Old 10-19-04, 10:12 AM
Banned

BIg Mits 65" with Cablevision (optimum) SA STB

This is all thats available in my area at present, but IM only getting whats above teh line as I do have the package to allow the others without paying

CBS
NBC
FOX
ABC
PBS
BravoHD
====================
INHD 1/2
MSG
FOXSports
HBOHD
MAXHD
SHOHD
TMCHD
HDOD

Still waiting for DiscoveryHD, HistoryCHHD, A&EHD, SciFiHD, TBS, TNT, SPIKE, CartoonNW, USA - and all those similar channels, but specifically, I want Disc, History, and SciFi

Probably a couple of others Im missing - but theres one thing that still pisses me off - ALL HD PROGRAMMING SHOULD BE BROADCAST IN 16:9 and not in 4:3!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 10-19-04 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-19-04, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by icondude
I'm waiting for HDTV to become a commodity type item before I buy in. Plus I'd need a small enough HDTV available (I have my doubts if they even make a 20" HDTV, but I haven't looked either).

I'm more likely to get it as part of a TV/video capture card in a future computer upgrade.
20"? Theres no point in going HD unless you get at least 36"-42"
Old 10-19-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

51" HD tv, signal through Brighthouse

No extra charge for the following:

NBC
ABC
CBS
FOX
UPN
WB
PBS x3
TNTHD
HBO-HD
Showtime-HD
Discovery HD

6 bucks extra for the following block:
INHD1
INHD2
HDnet
HDnet Movies
ESPNHD

Can't wait for more channels
Old 10-19-04, 11:58 AM
Retired

Nope, and I won't have one in the near future as I'm on a tight budget and I'm not a videophile so it's not very high on my want list right now.
Old 10-19-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
65" HD Mitsubishi and a 30" HD Philips

I have Voom and currently get a ton of HD channels! I also get NBC, CBS, & ABC over the air but I rarely watch network programming (even if it is in HD).

HDNews
HDCinema1
HDCinema2
HDCinema3
HDCinema4
HDCinema5
HDCinema6
HDClassics
HDEpics
HDGunslingers
Divine HD
Monsters HD
Equator HD
WorldSport HD
Rush HD
Rave HD
Ultra HD
Auction HD
Gallery HD
MOOV HD
Animania HD
HBO HD East
HBO HD West
Cinemax HD East
Cinemax HD West
SHOWTIME HD East
SHOWTIME HD West
TMC HD
STARZ! HD East
STARZ! HD West
Encore E HD
ESPN HD
Fox Sports Net Florida 1 HD (certain areas)
Bravo HD+
TNT in HD
Discovery HD Theater
Playboy Hot HD
Inside VOOM/Special Programming HD

I love it & I highly recommend them ( www.voom.com )

I would be in hell with just my local provider's HD content (which was Charter) and Direct's is not impressive either. Voom is also doing some programing changes coming up and they are soon to have a 24 hour HD Kung-Fu channel (among other things) for those who love that stuff. Monsters HD is by far my favorite.
Old 10-19-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
sweet jesus, I need to look into voom. brianluvdvd, how much a month is that package setting you back?
Old 10-19-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I hate cabvlevision, but they are doinga decent job with HD content and service. RIght now no charge for an HD box or a monthly extra nut.

I get INHD, CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, Bravo, PBS, Starz, HBO, FOx Sports (Mets/Isles) , MSG Home games (Rangers/Knicks) in HD

Football is awesome, Baseball is great, all sports are great.

I try and watch Deparate Housewives, Boston Legal, Lost, 24, Alias, CSI, SPoranos, Six Feet Under Live in HDTV, they look great.
Old 10-19-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by rabbit77
sweet jesus, I need to look into voom. brianluvdvd, how much a month is that package setting you back?
Looks like the $79 pack. They have a $50 pack with all the standards(HDNews through Animania on the list above) + the ESPN/Discovery/TNTHD/etc pack that the cable companies offer. I belive the $79 includes ALL the movie channels(HBO, Sho, Cine, Starz, Encore, etc), and about 8 of each. The playboy channel is another $15 a month.

I highly recommend them as well, but their summer offer for free installation has expired, so the deal isn't as sweet.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-19-04 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JupiterPrime
20"? Theres no point in going HD unless you get at least 36"-42"
My house is 14' wide. Minus the stairs and you get the area for a couch and TV setup. So a 20" TV is about as big as you can go without it being too big. I'd get HDTV tuner just to get better reception for far away stations when it becomes cheap enough.
Old 10-19-04, 02:38 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by icondude
My house is 14' wide. Minus the stairs and you get the area for a couch and TV setup. So a 20" TV is about as big as you can go without it being too big. I'd get HDTV tuner just to get better reception for far away stations when it becomes cheap enough.
Forget getting a new tv, you need a new house!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.