Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost 10/06/04

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
So, last week Walt looks at a comic book, sees a polar bear - then suddenly a real polar bear shows up

Last night, Walt
Spoiler:
apparently wants the rain to stop so his father can look for Vincent and instantly the rain stops.

Coincidence? Beats me.

Hmmmm. Sounds like
Spoiler:
Star Trek TOS episode Shore Leave
Old 10-07-04, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it interesting that the hiking group decided not to tell the rest of the survivors about the message, but they didn't make any decisions about the polar bear. Are they going to tell the group about the polar bear or not?

Also, why haven't they thought of using the dead bear as a food source? Its probably too late now, though.
Old 10-07-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Actually my wife is a labor and delivery nurse and is amazed how realistic the pregnant woman looks. For eight months along, it can look like a beach ball in a small person. My wife averages 100 lbs, and looked this way when she was pregnant.
Watch what her stomach does when she moves though. It's totally not realistic.
Old 10-07-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Meatpants

I thought it was a great touch that Kate is CANADIAN, not American, especially since she (Lilly) is.
She's not really Canadian, she was just telling the farmer that. They don't send US Marshalls to find and extradite Canadians.
Old 10-07-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
Watch what her stomach does when she moves though. It's totally not realistic.
I'm not looking at her stomach
Old 10-07-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ted The Bug
I find it interesting that the hiking group decided not to tell the rest of the survivors about the message, but they didn't make any decisions about the polar bear. Are they going to tell the group about the polar bear or not?

Also, why haven't they thought of using the dead bear as a food source? Its probably too late now, though.
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Seems fairly stupid. The bear should still be OK to eat.

It didn't really show how far away they were from the beach, but it seems there was a good chance that the rest of the survivors would've heard the gunshots when they killed the bear.
Old 10-07-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah - WTF is up with that? Couldn't understand that and why that idiot didn't shoot the Marshall in the head. Otherwise, a solid episode.
Interesting point ... couldn't kill the marshall with him lying there yet was able to stop a HUGE CHARGING POLAR BEAR by shooting it in the head. Odd...

Originally posted by Red Dog
Spoiler:
Star Trek TOS episode Shore Leave
Not really a spoiler... it was discussed rather well in the Pilot - NO SCI-FI ALLOWED. It has been discussed extensively. I think it was a coincidental joke thing since Michael said he look when it stops raining and it suddenly did. Rainfall in that part of the world is really like turning a faucet on and off.
Old 10-07-04, 09:31 AM
Retired

Originally posted by rfduncan
I think it was a coincidental joke thing since Michael said he look when it stops raining and it suddenly did. Rainfall in that part of the world is really like turning a faucet on and off.
Totally. It was just supposed to be funny as Michael didn't really want to wander in the "haunted jungle" and look for the dog.
Old 10-07-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts
Well, one of my theories from the pilot was shot down last night when Michael saw Sun topless. (When her husband told her to button her shirt, I thought she might have some kind of mark or tattoo on her body that he wanted to keep hidden.) So take these with a grain of salt...

1. The Monster.
Spoiler:
Someone mentioned an elephant. Take it back a little further... could be a Wooly Mammoth. They're bigger than elephants, and we've already seen a polar bear on the island.

But it's kind of hard to pin down just what the monster is. It killed the pilot, so it appears to be actively targeting people. He was killed quickly and bloodily, like he was bitten or cut severely. An elepant or mammoth would probably crush him... it would have had to have pulled him out of the cockpit with its trunk, and immediately crushed him to bloody the windshield like that. I don't know that a crushing death would produce a big spray of blood like that.

Also, he wasn't eaten, so it doesn't appear to be a carnivore.

2. Locke. At certain times, he seems kind, yet at other times he gives off a degree of malevolence. If he didn't have something to do with these people being stranded on the island then he might
Spoiler:
have a second personality. Which would explain why he's doing things like finding the kid's dog, and at other's times there's sinister music played when he's staring into the sea. Good Locke and Evil Locke.
Old 10-07-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Josh - that was my first thought as well on the monster.
Old 10-07-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Last night, Walt
apparently wants the rain to stop so his father can look for Vincent and instantly the rain stops.

Coincidence? Beats me.
I'm going to jump to a conclusion and figure that was one of the typical JJ fake clues tossed in.
Old 10-07-04, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Not really a spoiler... it was discussed rather well in the Pilot - NO SCI-FI ALLOWED.
Don't you think Polar Bears on a tropic island(assumed) is SCI-FI? I think how fantastic it is will be controlled. The "not knowing" factor has given the show a certain Twilight Zone feel.

Agreed about the rainfall. That was just used as comic relief. The father (figurative) was just trying to delay going out to look for the dog. What I didn't get is Why he didn't want to look for the dog originally? Was he scared or lazy or both. The whole dog whistle thing is kind of suspect as well.
Old 10-07-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm going to jump to a conclusion
Are you sure you want to do that? You'd be the first person in a "Lost" thread to do such a thing.
Old 10-07-04, 10:25 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Ditto here. Damn TIVO cut off just as the camera was starting to pan around Locke's head.
I had the same problem with my ReplayTV. Damn ABC for ending the show at a screwy time. And something was up with the commercials. I couldn't skip them the way I normally do. I had to fast forward. This show is making me consider dumping cable and going to Dish Network since they just added my locals. There isn't an ABC affiliate locally, so the reception on the one I get on cable is shitty.
Old 10-07-04, 10:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by King Jaspo
Don't you think Polar Bears on a tropic island(assumed) is SCI-FI?
Maybe there's a really short summer and a really really long winter.
Old 10-07-04, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
She's not really Canadian, she was just telling the farmer that. They don't send US Marshalls to find and extradite Canadians.
They do if the Canadian is fleeing from a U.S. crime. Canadians who commit murder in the U.S. don't get a free pass.
Old 10-07-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts
So they never explained how a Polar Bear got on the island? Is there still a creature out there somewhere?

Also, are the "scientific possibilities" J.J. discussed ones that play by our world's rules, or the worlds he creates?
Old 10-07-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think she's [Kate] going to end up being a con artist of some sort.
She must be some rather NOTORIOUS con artist for them to offer $23K AUD and pursue her from North America to Australia then extradite her. Whatever Kate is in trouble for, it is unlikely that it is small potatoes or a simple "misunderstanding".

As far as "clean slates" go, we can't wipe everything away. I still think that some event ON THE PLANE involving one or more of the passengers caused the crash.
Old 10-07-04, 11:03 AM

It will be tough to fill an hour without flashbacks. Those flashbacks will reveal why everyone is who they are and where they came from. This show is going to need lots of backfill otherwise it will be about as boring as backgammon.

Kate included. I just worry that they will cop out on her character for fear of audience reaction. She most likely killed a corporate power or politicians son, because she was raped. Or maybe she had a brother or sister that was murdered and revenge was the reason. The writers have already positioned her as a protagonist. She has already demonstrated she has a conscience and I don't think the writers will let go of the sympathy to make her a villian.

I am willing to bet that the "clean slate" comment was a setup to do the reverse. You are a product of your history and you cannot escape it ... even on a remote island.

Last edited by King Jaspo; 10-07-04 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin

As for the commercials, I don't like 'em either, but if you think about how much it cost to shoot this show it is understandable that they want to re-coup that in the first few episodes in case it does tank and get cancelled.

I'm pretty sure that the amount of time for commercials is the same as other shows, what really pisses me off is the frequency of the commercial breaks.

Sure the breaks are shorter than usual, but I would rather have 3 breaks of 4 minutes each rather than 5 breaks of 2 1/2 minutes each (approx).

Oh well, back to my Tivo next week and seeing this 2 to 3 hours earlier.

Chris
Old 10-07-04, 11:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Count me in the camp of hoping Kate is genuinely "bad" instead of being "self defense murderess brought down by the system."

The "white color criminal" angle seems the most likely with her, since if you recall from last week she didn't know how to handle the gun.
Old 10-07-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Count me in the camp of hoping Kate is genuinely "bad" instead of being "self defense murderess brought down by the system."

The "white color criminal" angle seems the most likely with her, since if you recall from last week she didn't know how to handle the gun.
Yeah! what if she was like a female Hannibal Lechter (A mental - get in your head type). That would explain why she didn't know how to use a gun... and why a marshall would travel to Australia to get her!
Old 10-07-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From zap2it.com

"Lost," 10.3/17, easily won the 8 p.m. hour for ABC over "60 Minutes," 6.4/10, on CBS. "Hawaii" finished third for NBC. "That '70s Show" and "Quintuplets" put FOX in fourth, averaging 3.9/6.
Cool
Old 10-07-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The "white collar criminal" angle seems the most likely with her, since if you recall from last week she didn't know how to handle the gun.
I think she was quite handy with the gun for someone who claimed she had no idea how it worked - as was also much discussed is last week's thread. Now we know why...

I don't think it was a "white collar" crime for which they were chasing her.

Last edited by rfduncan; 10-07-04 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 11:36 AM

So, is the monster a t-rex or what?
Can't be a dinosaur. Dinosaur's are extinct.

About the commercials - I was wondering if this show has less of a running time than normal? Or are the commercial breaks just shorter. There are alot of commercial breaks. I'm watching this in HD (while taping Smallville for the wife), so I get to sit through all these breaks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.