Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone See "Dead Like Me" on Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone See "Dead Like Me" on Sunday?

I'm surprised there was no thread. I thought it was really good, and I am really interested in seeing what happens with the mother. I think she's arguably the most interesting person to watch on the show.
Old 08-24-04, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always been a fan of the show, this week past was a great episode as usual. Nothing much to really talk about though, I am struggling to find something to say.
Old 08-24-04, 05:40 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
OK -- here's some Dead Like Me questions:

I know we saw Rube's death last season, but I'm too lazy to go and pull out my Season 1 DVD to check. How did he die? When did he die? Do we know what kind of family he left behind? Who was he sending money to in 1924? I assume it was his wife and daughter; do we know that for sure? (Bonus assumption: I assume he used to call his daughter "Peanut.")

Poor Rube. I felt so bad for him. I hope he tells George why he had that money.
Old 08-25-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't recall seeing Rube's death last season. I think his "age" and death still remain a mystery.

I'm even more curious about the significance of George seeing gravelings when she was a little girl before she died that was in the previous episode. The gravelings seem to know that she was different and probably even knew she was to become a reaper. Now the question is does this make her different than the other reapers in some special way we'll learn in the future? We already know she can see the gravelings more directly whereas the others can only see them out of the corner of their eyes. Maybe all of this means that she'll eventually be replacing Rube at the end of the series.
Old 08-25-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Have you seen my effing keys?"
"Have you looked in your effing purse?"
"Don't say effing."

Great episode. It's the only show (other than Scrubs) that can get me laughing every week.

I don't recall anything about Rube's death from last season though. I might have to go back and rewatch too. Even if there's nothing about his death there, it's still time well spent.
Old 08-25-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kevin M. Dean
I'm even more curious about the significance of George seeing gravelings when she was a little girl before she died that was in the previous episode.
I'm not so sure that she actually saw them.

And Rube's death was not shown last season, just Betty's, Mason's, George's and Roxy's.
Old 08-25-04, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Burnt Alive

And Rube's death was not shown last season, just Betty's, Mason's, George's and Roxy's.
Now that you mention it, I was thinking of Betty's death, not Rube's. Am I remembering right that Rube was there when Betty's predecessor took her soul? I know I have a memory of Rube in the late 19th/early 20th century.

Ah, hell. Maybe I just made it up. Now I need to find time to rewatch the DVDs.
Old 08-25-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Burnt Alive
I just checked the scene again on Showtime on Demand and to me it seems that she does. Her voice over says that something happened to her that changed her life forever.... she's looking down right at them... they cut to the one graveling holding the other back from swimming to her... it cuts back to her and she begins to smile...

So to me, it seems that she has the appropriate child-like reaction to seeing the graveling... she finds it funny and begins to smile. I don't think being pushed into the pool would necessarily be something worthy of the "changed my life forever" line, but seeing something as strange as gravelings would, especially since she now knows what they are.

...but maybe I'm just reading to much into it.
Old 08-25-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kevin M. Dean
I just checked the scene again on Showtime on Demand and to me it seems that she does. Her voice over says that something happened to her that changed her life forever.... she's looking down right at them... they cut to the one graveling holding the other back from swimming to her... it cuts back to her and she begins to smile...

So to me, it seems that she has the appropriate child-like reaction to seeing the graveling... she finds it funny and begins to smile. I don't think being pushed into the pool would necessarily be something worthy of the "changed my life forever" line, but seeing something as strange as gravelings would, especially since she now knows what they are.

...but maybe I'm just reading to much into it.
I can see where you're coming from, but I saw the scene in a completely different way. Mostly due to the voice over and the build up story in both the past and the present.
In the past George took the high road by not humiliating the other girl, and then was, in turn, the subject of the humiliation. She was the 2nd lowest on the social ladder, and now she was the lowest rung. I see the "changed my life forever" line as George realizing that she can't win by being the "nice guy" and therefore takes a much more cynical approach to life after the event.
Old 08-25-04, 05:40 PM

I can see where you're coming from, but I saw the scene in a completely different way. Mostly due to the voice over and the build up story in both the past and the present.
In the past George took the high road by not humiliating the other girl, and then was, in turn, the subject of the humiliation. She was the 2nd lowest on the social ladder, and now she was the lowest rung. I see the "changed my life forever" line as George realizing that she can't win by being the "nice guy" and therefore takes a much more cynical approach to life after the event.
Agreed.
Old 09-01-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't remember the swimming pool/graveling episode; I tried to catch the entire season before it expired off On Demand, so I might have missed one or two. But I have the dvd's, so I'll watch them again

Anyway--yes, that really sucked for Rube, he was really hurting when he found that letter/money returned. Although I definitely applaud his action in the post office line ["Excuse me. Do I look like an asshole? Do these people? no? So you're the only one?"] yes, bad paraphrase, sorry.

One thing I don't like is the promo spots, where the cast is all dressed in black and standing around looking somber or powerful or whatever. Rube can look classy in whatever, same with Daisy, and Mason always adds a disheveled air to whatever he's wearing; Roxy's cop uniform is almost black, so that's pretty close, but that outfit George is wearing is unattractive and doesn't fit her character.

Anyway--Just watched the "Decision" episode last night, where "Millie" has to decide among three candidates for a Happy Time Placement.

Spoiler:
This one, above all, really got me thinking "Oh shit". How far in advance are the post-its written, or the 'dates' booked? Did George's delay in her decision help to cause the boss's going postal? Certainly her decision to send the candidate she said had an effect; or did it? Was her decision preordained/predestined? Or just predicted in Rube's book, so whatever and whenever George decided, it wouldn't have mattered?
In S1 I didn't really like Daisy when she first came on, I thought she was going to be another blonde Hollywood slut stereotype. She is that, but she's a lot more, as well; there is a person in there behind the body. I'm liking her a lot more this season, but I am quite disappointed in her taking and keeping that necklace, especially when it can get Roxy in trouble. That necklace or the cross must mean something especially important to her, and I assume we'll find out in later episodes.
And okay, was anyone else somewhat scared/nervous when Reggie was home alone? I just kept thinking, "Oh hell no, you can't kill the other daughter".
And poor Joy's life isn't getting any better, now that the cops are going to send CPS out to 'interview' her. She does seem to get a bit adamant and push back reflexively sometimes, but I'm to see her actually relax a bit and enjoy herself, however briefly.
Old 09-01-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Love, Love, LOVE this show. It has yet to disappoint me this season.

For the record, I don't think that little George saw the gravelings in the pool. I think they were all excited and whispering about her, but I think her reactions and the voice-over were referring to what another poster mentioned above, her "hardening" herself towards life.

And, no , we haven't seen Rube's death yet. I believe the ONLY flashback we've seen of him at ALL so far is when he comes to collect Betty after she dies. So I am definitely intrigued by the little piece of his history that they gave us. I think Rube's the most interesting character on the show. And he always cracks me up.

X