Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question for those that have seen Dead Like Me

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those that have seen Dead Like Me

I rented the first season, and I was wondering which episodes have nudity/sex in them, I dont have a problem with the sex or the nudity, but I'm not going to be the only one watching them. I heard read that gayheart is nude one of them. Anybody know which episodes/how bad it is?
Old 08-19-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't recall any nudity in any of the episodes and I've seen them all. I'd surely remember if Gayheart was nude!
Old 08-19-04, 02:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They had nudity on the show for the first time last week. I got excited when they had the warning at the top of the show..."Please be Daisy Please be Daisy Please be Daisy Please be Daisy Please be Daisy."

Spoiler:
Turned out to be some old guy's butt.
Old 08-19-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No nudity or sex in the first season. They allude to it a few times, but that's about as racy as it gets. I don't even remember there being much profanity on the show.
Old 08-19-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually there's a couple acts of sex depicted (no nudity- just a lot of bumping with shirt-tales blocking the butts from view).

Spoiler:
The bank in the piliot had a couple going at it in a copy room, and then the last episode had Mason and a goth chick (Jewel Staite ) at the record store.

Also there's what I would consider a fair amount of swearing:

George : You can't smoke in here.
Rube : Ah **** that bullshit, they can blow me.

Also lots of drug use from at least one character as long as I'm listing stuff.
Old 08-19-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just echoing what others have said so far, but I'd be reluctant letting someone you aren't comfortable with watching nudity watch this.

Swearing is pretty common, and the conversations are sometimes far more adult than just a couple of curses here and there. Daisy seems to bring up more than just vague details of her sexual past in Hollywood if memory serves. And as Tscott mentioned, one character has various interactions with drugs.

Some of the episodes can get pretty racy. The most recent one, which somebody mentioned earlier has a running gag about
Spoiler:
how large a guy's balls are (He runs around naked throughout the entire show, with his scenes being filmed from the waist up for the most part.

Bottom line, if I were you I'd at least watch a couple episodes by yourself and judge whether you think it's acceptable. There might not be any graphic sex like other Showtime shows, but that certainly doesn't make it g-rated. I certainly would not be keen on letting someone younger than 13 or so watch it.
Old 08-19-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you mean you guys missed the ep. with the George and Daisy lesbian scene? damn.
Old 08-19-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, I had forgotten all about the stuff mentioned above. I guess that shows how desensitized I am to it.
Old 08-20-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Yeah, gotta love the Jewel Staite goth chick appearance, although I asked her about it as a recent Con and she said she hated it.
Old 08-20-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Haven't seen S2, but S1 is nudity free.
Plenty of profanity (and the occasional quick bj joke), so if that's a problem for you beware. It's not for me, so your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth, we watched the S1 set with our 13 yr old daughter, and she (like us) just loves the show.
Old 08-20-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, the old double standard. Although this show centers around grisly, violent deaths, including graphic depiction of an apartment full of victims, there's concern about nudity/sex?
Old 08-20-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by RKillgore
Ah, the old double standard.
Not entirely.

For me - as a parent watching something with my 13 year old - it is less weird to watch a relatively quick scene of violence than it is to watch an overtly sexual scene.

Plus, the majority of the violence is telegraphed in DLM, and is treated with an almost Rube Goldberg-ish sense of black comedy.
Old 08-20-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dstrauss
Yeah, gotta love the Jewel Staite goth chick appearance, although I asked her about it as a recent Con and she said she hated it.
What didn't she like? The goth look, the experience, or how it turned out?
Old 09-01-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'll have to watch that episode again, to catch her now that I watched Firefly and know who she is [last time I remember seeing her was on Space Cases]. Although that character really is different from her character in Firefly, that might take a little getting used to.

There definitely is a lot of language, it seems more so in the current season than my memory of S1; I don't recall a lot of gratuitous, graphic nudity/sex, and even the violence/deaths are more alluded to, cartoonish, or at least not shown directly [that is, it's not like Final Destination.]
Old 09-01-04, 12:48 PM

There as also Mason in his underwear at the airport.
Old 09-01-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by wmansir
What didn't she like? The goth look, the experience, or how it turned out?
She wasn't happy with the character, but more importantly, she had just come off Firefly and the cast environment there was very friendly and fun. She said that the Dead Like Me cast scattered to their trailers the instant they yelled cut -- she just was very uncomfortable being on the set.