Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race - 8/24/04

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Leg 8 of 13 - Who will come in last (and may be Philiminated)?
Chip & Kim
0%
Colin & Christie
22.22%
Karen & Linda
31.11%
Brandon & Nicole
11.11%
Kami & Karli
35.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Race - 8/24/04

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm rooting for Chip and Kim all the way. Colin has some anger issues and does not deserve the money. He needs therapy. Did anyone else notice the comment Colin made to Christie about wanting a new relationship during the cab issue? If I were Christie, I would dump his sorry ass.
Old 08-25-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I would imagine that Christie is no picnic either. Good looking Texas ass shorts, but I get the feeling she is high-maint. and pretty selfish and stubborn as well.
Old 08-25-04, 02:30 PM

My wish will come true about getting to watch the twins without money! How far will they go?

Christie seems to be cool. The only time I remember her freaking out was watching Colin gag down those eggs, and even then her comments were dubbed over.

Since they were from Texas (Hook 'em Horns!), I was rooting for them. I don't know now though. It is hard to tell how big an ass Colin is. For example, he's an ass to Christie trying to eat 2 lbs. of caviear, but then is crying at the checkpoint and saying how proud he is of her.
I thought he was an ass this week when, if front of the other teams, he ridicules Christie and says how he would have gotten the taxi ride for $50 if it hadn't been for Christie "freaking out". I didn't see her freaking out, but who knows with the editting.

All I can say is Christie needs to come move in with me for a while. I'll treat her right.
I guess my wife and kids would too.

I did see a poster in one of the mall stores yesterday with Brandon modeling something in it. Can't remember the name of the store - something like Buckles - some place to hip for me to shop at.
Old 08-25-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Colin is a batterer, maybe not physically, but he shows signs of a typical batterer. He abuses Christie and then tries to make her think it's her fault and then is all apologetic about it later, and then she decides that it was indeed her fault and that she should have handled things differently. Those are classis batterer/battered behaviors. My guess is that he treats her like shit often.

He was making me so mad last night, I wanted to jump through the screen and beat the "intensity" right out of him. What an ass.
Old 08-25-04, 05:13 PM
toq

Originally posted by Struz
Even worse than his airport tantrum, was the way he acted when he got the flat and the Bowling Mom's stopped to help him.
Actually, it was the twins' taxi that stopped to donate their spare tire. Unfortunately, they weren't quite as sympathetic when the bowling moms' taxi broke down.
I wonder if the situation was reversed what Colin would do ?
Surprisingly (at least to me), (he allowed?) his taxi stopped to allow the bowling moms to call for help. This seemed like the only redeeming moment for Colin in the episode.
Old 08-25-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Colin is just an idiot.

Arguing over $50 is just plain stupid if it could cost you $1 Million.
Old 08-25-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So...does no one get upset at all that you wait a week anticipating an episode and watch the full hour and yet nobody gets eliminated? It's almost like CBS is saying, "HA, we suckered you into watching, chumps. Thanks for the ratings."
Old 08-25-04, 07:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PacMan2006
So...does no one get upset at all that you wait a week anticipating an episode and watch the full hour and yet nobody gets eliminated? It's almost like CBS is saying, "HA, we suckered you into watching, chumps. Thanks for the ratings."
The pleasure I get from watching the show isn't from seeing people get eliminated. And they've already announced that there are three or four non-elimination legs. I think the pre-pit-stop clue usually gives it away, too... "The last team to arrive will be eliminated" vs "The last team to arrive may be eliminated." (I could just be imagining that last bit.)
Old 08-25-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No no, I mean, I get you. I pretty much can tell from the opening of the show in how Phil states something general like, "Let's see who gets elimated THIS TIME" instead of the usual "TONIGHT."

It doesn't catch me off-guard, but it just bothers me knowing they always drag it out and yet also expect viewers to watch. I just feel there's no pay-off in watching if no one gets eliminated. It'd be like if you watched a football game and it ended in a tie--what's the point of watching if we don't see an end result of someone winning and someone losing?

In effect, all the challenges like Detour or Pit-stop are pointless to not only do as the contestants, but to watch as the viewers. Sure, great drama is great drama, but I like seeing a end result each week.
Old 08-25-04, 08:32 PM

A couple of episodes ago, Mirna/Shmirna (the non-midget lawyer one) was complaining about Colin and Christie's behavior. She said that Colin was nothing more than a common criminal and that he was abusive to Christie. She also said something about Christie being a weak woman because she would take his crap.

Anyone remember exactly what she said about them. It seems she may have had more insight then we gave her credit for.
Old 08-25-04, 09:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't catch me off-guard, but it just bothers me knowing they always drag it out and yet also expect viewers to watch. I just feel there's no pay-off in watching if no one gets eliminated. It'd be like if you watched a football game and it ended in a tie--what's the point of watching if we don't see an end result of someone winning and someone losing?

In effect, all the challenges like Detour or Pit-stop are pointless to not only do as the contestants, but to watch as the viewers. Sure, great drama is great drama, but I like seeing a end result each week.
I can see how it wouldn't fulfill people who want the end result of someone getting the axe. (At least this season, they lose all their money... that's something! ) But not everyone wants or needs that as the end result every week. It's the whole spiel about how "the journey is where the excitement is, not the destination," blah blah.
Old 08-26-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whether there is elimination or not shouldn't really bother viewers. It isn't a way of CBS "stealing" ratings... especially this season with the money penalty for coming in last. By being last you are still behind when you start the next leg.

Detour and road block are never pointless. It isn't just about who gets eliminated vs. wheter it's non-elimination. It's about how much time is between you and the next team to arrive at the pit stop. Granted, there is usually some buffer to even things up on the next leg, but it is still important, and no one can just take their sweet time on a detour, b/c you have to do it regardless of what type of leg you're on.
Old 08-26-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
What's pointless is the introduction of the "Yield". They might as well have added bikini-clad dancing Portuguese girls at the Pit Stop - that would have added more to the show than the "Yield" has.
Old 08-26-04, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by B.A.
What's pointless is the introduction of the "Yield". They might as well have added bikini-clad dancing Portuguese girls at the Pit Stop - that would have added more to the show than the "Yield" has.
I agree...so far. I've got to think that the Yield will play a part in the show before it's over. Otherwise why intruduce it at all? If it was never used the producers could have easily edited that 10 second clip out of the first show and no one would have known it was an option. I think it's going to be used sometime since it was intruduced.
Old 08-26-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No no, I mean, I get you. I pretty much can tell from the opening of the show in how Phil states something general like, "Let's see who gets elimated THIS TIME" instead of the usual "TONIGHT."

I bet you hate Lord Of The Rings, STar Wars, and 24, huh?
Old 08-26-04, 08:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Chip made me laugh last night. He's a good guy, but he doesn't think things through. He talks about Karma and how his big tipping came back around when the cab driver had no balls and let Chip stiff him.

The irony is that if he wasn't throwing money around like that, he wouldn't have had to stiff the cab driver in the first place! In particular that $20 tip at the beginning. The $100 cab ride was clearly a rip-off in the first place.

His "Oh, Lordy Lordy" look in the cab ride knowing he couldn't pay the fare was priceless as well. Chip and Kim remain my favorite team.
Old 08-26-04, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by shaggybrown
A couple of episodes ago, Mirna/Shmirna (the non-midget lawyer one) was complaining about Colin and Christie's behavior. She said that Colin was nothing more than a common criminal and that he was abusive to Christie. She also said something about Christie being a weak woman because she would take his crap.

Anyone remember exactly what she said about them. It seems she may have had more insight then we gave her credit for.

I don't recall the exact quotes, but yes, I remember that. I'm sure everyone dogged Mirna for saying that. Funny thing is, he almost ended up in jail like a common criminal...haha. As for Christie, she said she was wrong for getting on Colin's case. Is that a sign of weakness? You decide.

Geez I love seeing Nicole in those tiny shorts.
Old 08-26-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Chip made me laugh last night. He's a good guy, but he doesn't think things through. He talks about Karma and how his big tipping came back around when the cab driver had no balls and let Chip stiff him.

The irony is that if he wasn't throwing money around like that, he wouldn't have had to stiff the cab driver in the first place! In particular that $20 tip at the beginning. The $100 cab ride was clearly a rip-off in the first place.

His "Oh, Lordy Lordy" look in the cab ride knowing he couldn't pay the fare was priceless as well. Chip and Kim remain my favorite team.
I really like how budgeting and money is playing a role in this game. Remember that the last leg of the trip, you have $1 to complete the race and teams that do not save all their money are at a disadvantage. Too bad it didn't bite Chip and Kim in the a$$ just yet.

I do think that $100 was reasonable price for the taxi ride because Collin mentioned at the police station that they drove for 2 hours on a donut. 2 hours in a taxi for $100 sounds more reasonable then the extortion that was the bus ride/ running out of gas scam.

I don't really have a pony in this race because I don't really like any of the remaining teams ... I do hope the bowling moms do better and get lucky. I have a feeling though that they move too slow and will be eliminated.
Old 08-26-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chowderhead
I do hope the bowling moms do better and get lucky. I have a feeling though that they move too slow and will be eliminated.
I agree that the moms are physically the weakest team. But don't count them out yet. All it would take would be one Twins brain fart, Colin meltdown, or Brandon wussout for them to pass any of those teams.
Old 08-26-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
$100 for that cabride sounded quite reasonable to me. Didn't they say it was a 100-mile trip to the charters?
Old 08-26-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have any of you watched the Amazing Race insider videos on cbs.com? There is are several interesting pieces in it, such as the group going out to eat together when they realized they were going to have to wait for the helipad to open. It even shows them drawing straws to pick the order they went up in the elevator. The most interesting part is an interview with Colin ... he calles himself and Christie a "brat", and he announces that it is the norm for their relationship to argue over stupid things. He also mentions that he was a military school kid ... big suprise .
Old 08-26-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Colin has that similar "man-child" look that Rupert had on Survivor.
Old 08-27-04, 11:22 AM
Banned

I think this show is going to be on Tuesday night next week.
Old 08-27-04, 01:13 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it airs the Tuesday after that too.
Old 08-27-04, 03:22 PM

It's on an hour earlier here next week because of the Republican National Convention.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.