Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

WB: Sorry about that whole canceling 'Angel' thing. Our bad.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

WB: Sorry about that whole canceling 'Angel' thing. Our bad.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by riley_dude
Show's without the anchor star? Isn't that like having Laverne and Shirley without Laverne and Shirley?
Well, the final season or two of L&S, they did it with just Laverne and the supporting characters, so they were halfway there. It did suck horribly, though, which actually works in favor of your argument.
Old 08-15-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally posted by breaux124
Not disagreeing with you but didn't weren't the Scooby-Doo movies considered a success? I think the first one made over $150mil.
First one was. The sequel, not so much.
Old 08-15-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I can laugh at the WB's stupidity I'm still glad it went down the way it did. Better to go out on such a high note than to drag on until it died a whimpering death. Wedon has not proven himself to be capable of 6th and 7th seasons and Angel's 5th was showing some signs of strain. The finale was so incredible and I hope they leave it at that.
Old 08-15-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think ME is waiting to see how Serenity (the Firefly movie) does to determine where they can go with the Slayerverse. I would love to see a big-screen version of it.
Old 08-15-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel's 5th was showing some signs of strain
I blame that on The WB for telling M.E. that they shouldn't do full season arcs.

One of the huge drawing factors of both Buffy and Angel for me was the fact that they had full season arcs. It wasn't like other sci-fi/fantasy shows where arcs only lasted a few episodes and every other episode were devoted to "monsters of the week." I liked watching a show which would give me a nice pay-off at the end of the season for tuning into the rest of the season.

When watching the fifth season of Angel, it seemed that taking out the season arc took out some of the show's heart.
Old 08-15-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TheVelvetRope
Well, the final season or two of L&S, they did it with just Laverne and the supporting characters, so they were halfway there. It did suck horribly, though, which actually works in favor of your argument.
I'd watch on tv or go to see ANYTHING with Willow in it.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 08-15-04 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-16-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy
I'd watch on tv or go to see ANYTHING with Willow in it.
x2 for me, if it involved Andrew!
Old 08-16-04, 01:12 PM

By the way, Garth Ancier's also the genius who cancelled Freaks & Geeks. How this man finds work as a network executive and is not a Walmart cashier is beyond my comprehension. I'm hoping he will never meet Bonnie Hammer--if the 2 of them ever teamed up not even the Justice League would be able to stop them.
Old 08-16-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally I'm glad Buffy retired when it did, but Angel deserved a full-fledged ending! I mean first WB tells M.E. to avoid season wide story arcs which they pretty much do (totally unnatural for a Whedon show) and then cancel it anyway. It should have been allowed a whole season with a grand story arc, a real powerful "big bad" and a series resolution. What we got was fine, but it only helped to highlight what the show COULD have been all season had it not been creatively stiffled by the WB suits
The first part of Season 5 stunk and I was ready to turn out but that was due the WB wanting lighter stories and no arcs. Pretty much half the cast was standing around doing nothing and coming into Angel's office. It wasnt until it started to get dark again and brought the arcs, not the mention the well written characters that it started to rule. The last part of the season was better than Season 6 and 7 of Buffy IMHO.

Oh god, that was horrible. Didnt they explain her out with a letter or something?
Old 08-16-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the beauty of the second half of Angel S5 was that it put the first half into perspective. It's what W&H was doing to the gang, taking them off their core mission. i bet in DVD form knowing that it leads to one of the finest series finales ever made S5 will play a lot better than it did on TV with 4 week breaks after every episode and seemingly no chance of a good ending.
Old 08-16-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the beauty of the second half of Angel S5 was that it put the first half into perspective. It's what W&H was doing to the gang, taking them off their core mission.
Yeah but in the meantime there was no good Drama going on, something that makes the show Angel so Wonderful and what made the latter half of the season so compelling. It was almost like watching Buffy give another speech on the 7th season of Buffy. Enough already.
Old 08-18-04, 02:31 PM

What a bummer. Figures that now they'd wish they'd kept it after all.
Old 08-18-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting exerpt from a recent interview with Joss about the end of Angel....

Spoiler

Whedon told fans that the possibility of "Angel" TV movies still
exists, though whether they would be done at the WB or another network is still in question. He is adamant though that the series finale was not a cliff-hanger:"A cliff-hanger is about 'What happened to everybody?' This isn't about what happened to everybody. This show is about a very simple thing: You never ever get to stop fighting if you want to be a decent human being. And often, like the character of Wesley, it's a battle that I have lost".
Old 08-18-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TV Guide chatted with actor David Boreanaz who says the rumors he's not up for an Angel movie are nonsense. He's willing to go another round, but not on TV.

"It would have to be a theatrical release," he says. "I'm not into the movie-of-the-week [idea]."

WB execs said they were interested in doing TV films. "I know they wanted to do, like, six films," Boreanaz added, "It's not that I'm against it; it just needs to be a bigger challenge. When you do something for five seasons, you want to continue to challenge yourself... go to another level with it rather than just doing the same thing you've been doing."

Next up for Boreanaz is the comedy Mr. Fix It and he's also signed up for another high-profile franchise film that he insists is not Superman. "It's better," he teases, adding, "'Four' would be the magic number — that's all I'm going to say."

He could mean Jurassic Park 4, Fantastic Four, or Indiana Jones 4. We'll let you know when we find out more.
Old 08-18-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
You know what might be interesting?

They could make three movies: An "Angel" movie, a "Buffy" movie, and an "Angel/Buffy" movie. Shoot all three simultaneously like LOTR or the Matrix sequels to cut costs. Doing this could also allow for a bit more breathing room, as one of the problems with movies based on TV series (like Trek) is that the non-leads get short-changed. It would be easier to squeeze all of the main characters... Spike, Angel, Illyria, Buffy, Willow, Giles, Xander, Dawn, and Faith ... into three movies than into one.

And by the by, hasn't the Fantastic Four already been cast? Don't think it's that one. I also don't think they're casting Indiana Jones 4 yet, either.
Old 08-18-04, 10:56 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Damm you WB!

made you be sodomised in hell for eternity !
Old 08-18-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it ain't Jurassic Park 4, given the lunacy of the script for that one. (check the thread about it in the movie forum...)
Old 08-19-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh god, that was horrible. Didnt they explain her (Shirley) out with a letter or something?
Actually, Shirley ends up getting married (on screen) in their CA apartment to a doctor in a full body cast, leaves and is never heard from again. Completely lame.
Old 08-19-04, 06:18 PM

HELP ME OUT!!

I've been catching up with Angel on TNT and on Monday my replayTV recorded Episode named "Forgiving", but according to the show descriptions it was actually the episode before called "Sleep Tight"
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...2/epid-118316/

But then on Tuesday my replayTV never recorded anything, and on Wednesday it recorded "Double or Nothing" which means I missed "Forgiving". Does anyone watch TNT? Did my ReplayTV get messed up or did TNT screw up?
Old 08-20-04, 08:31 PM

"If Angel had come back next year, it would have been post-apocalyptic. I don't mean like Dark Angel with just a bunch of industrial buildings, I mean Mad Max Road Warrior. Season six would have been hugely post-apocalyptic, with Angel as the Road Warrior. That was the idea for the next season, so with that in mind we knew the end of season five was heading into something huge and global and monumental. In the finale, they basically start a war and it's a war that will have huge good and evil implications of almost Biblical proportions. It would have been very different next year, and a little more sci-fi, I guess." - David Fury
Old 08-21-04, 11:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the Indiana Jones 4 thing is just a rumor, but I've always thought David Boreanaz looked like he could be Harrison Ford's son.
Old 08-23-04, 12:54 PM

It is posted on saveangel.org that the new programming head of WB is pushing for at least one Angel tv movie. Since DB is not likely to do it, it or they maybe centered around one of the other characters. Spike is the leading candidate right now.
Austin
Old 08-23-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since DB is not likely to do it, it or they maybe centered around one of the other characters. Spike is the leading candidate right now.
I don't think most people have an interest in that. Spike has been overdone and should stay a supporting character.
If David doesnt do it, they should not do it at all. WB blew it plain and simple. If they hadnt cancelled it they would be filming the new season already.
Old 08-23-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think most people have an interest in that. Spike has been overdone and should stay a supporting character.
If David doesnt do it, they should not do it at all. WB blew it plain and simple. If they hadnt cancelled it they would be filming the new season already.
Guess I'm not "most people". I love Angel, but I love Spike too - I'd watch a spinoff with him as the lead in a second, especially if other castmemembers were joining him.
Old 08-23-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
Guess I'm not "most people". I love Angel, but I love Spike too - I'd watch a spinoff with him as the lead in a second, especially if other castmemembers were joining him.
You and me both.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.