TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing - 07/20/04

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Last Comic Standing - 07/20/04

Episode #209.

The five remaining contests get a surprise that could change everything.

Producer(s): Jay Mohr, Peter Engel, Barry Katz.

Original Airdate: July 20, 2004.
Old 07-20-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bonnie's Back!!!

but only for a short while.

Unfortunately Ant's back, too.
Old 07-20-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just learned from Tammy's sitcom pitch that she is Sicilian.

Where the hell have I been since I didn't know this?
Old 07-20-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Steam
I just learned from Tammy's sitcom pitch that she is Sicilian.

Where the hell have I been since I didn't know this?
North Dakota?
Old 07-20-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
North Dakota?
That might explain it.

I have another question though. When the guys with the speedos came in why did they say that they wish Ant was there? Was Ant gay?

These comedians really need to start explaining themselves.
Old 07-20-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I learned from Tammy's pitch that some italians are in the witness protection program.

Most of the house fears Kathleen. I've seen her special and she can be great on stage. I think that intimidated the rest of the house. She was able to skate through the entire competition without doing anything.

D
Old 07-20-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was just going to say the same thing. People are afraid of Kathleen, which is understandable seeing that she is probably the most proven comic on the entire show.

I hated seeing Tammy win immunity.

Anyhow, in regards to Corey's set - I don't think it will take much from John and Alonzo to beat him. Very mediocre, imo.
Old 07-20-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IMO, John and Alonzo were much better than Holcombe, but maybe that's because we have heard all of Corey's material before...or maybe not. I thought Corey was the worst of the three.
Old 07-20-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good call, audience - good call.
Old 07-20-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm nervous about Ant and this wildcard thing. Call it the Dat Phan twich I guess.
Old 07-20-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a harsh focus group.

Question: How long are actual TV show pitches? They have to be longer than what they showed us, right?
Old 07-20-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gary and Tammy do not deserve to be in the top 5.

I didn't really watch last year, so what happens now? How many shows are left? Does the viewing audience vote now? Can someone please explain?
Old 07-21-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Corey is gone, after a meager 7% of the vote. Good. Even Ant was funnier than him. He also talks through his teeth, obviously some sort of halfassed Bll Cosby impression.

As for Tammy and her pitch, did anyone not think she was going to do some mafia-related show? Take the Italian shtick out of her act, and she's a mime.
There are only two reasons she won immunity. ---> (.)(.)

Kathleen's pitch about a comic taking over a country-western show in Branson didn't sound too bad. It seemed like my dearly departed "Ed". The fish-out-of-water premise isn't original, but what is?

Excepting Tammy, the other 4 deserve to be in the top 5. I wish Todd Glass would've been the 5th.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 07-21-04 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movieking
Gary and Tammy do not deserve to be in the top 5.

I didn't really watch last year, so what happens now? How many shows are left? Does the viewing audience vote now? Can someone please explain?
Why do you say Gary doesn't deserve to be in it? He's won a head to head twice now, and I thought he was quite good both times. He's not a gimmicky comedian like some of the others.
Old 07-21-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is the wild card show on Tuesday or Thursday?
Old 07-21-04, 09:36 AM
Banned

The wild card show is on Tuesday, and we get the results on Thursday.

PLEASE EVERY WATCH THIS AND VOTE FOR TODD GLASS. He is by FAR the funniest comedian in the house, one of the funniest comedians working today.

Ant wont win, they can cheat and get him into the house, but that stupid monkey is like nails on a chalk board.

I found it hilarious when Corey said that the 3 heavyweights of the house were competing.

I was like "Uh Buddy, you aint one of them". His schtick appeals STRICTLY to the democrats ONLY, whereas Alonzo and John's comedian appeals to all ethnic groups. When I saw that there was 3 democrats in the crowd, I knew that Corey would be getting the boot.

While we can all agree that Bonnie is hot and spank worthy, her schtick is BORING. I honestly don't know who is going to compete with Todd, unless the rest of his set that we didn't see when he went head to head with Tammy consisted of him insulting the audience, he got JOBBED. She is a joke.

Hey, what's this you guys are saying about Ant being gay?
Old 07-21-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by policy
His schtick appeals STRICTLY to the democrats ONLY, whereas Alonzo and John's comedian appeals to all ethnic groups. When I saw that there was 3 democrats in the crowd, I knew that Corey would be getting the boot.

All Black people are democrats or all democrats are Black?
Old 07-21-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jeraden
Why do you say Gary doesn't deserve to be in it? He's won a head to head twice now, and I thought he was quite good both times. He's not a gimmicky comedian like some of the others.
I liked him at the beginning, but lately he has gotten on my nerves. His material is generic stuff that comedians have been riffing on for years (I would rather pick up an escaped convict rather than my mother, etc). I think that Todd Glass should be in the top five over him, but....

...there is no way that Tammy should be in at all. The only reason that she got immunity was they had a couple of horny (i.e. alive) guys on the panel. I didn't like her pitch at all, nor did I like Corey or Alonzo. The other two were pretty good. At least Kathleen didn't pitch her life, which it seems is what the rest of the comedians pitched.
Old 07-21-04, 10:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My top five would've been Todd, Bonnie, John, Gary, and Kathleen.

It's no surprise Tammy won the sitcom challenge, as her whole act is just a one note joke based on bull shit. I know most comedy is based on b.s., but her stuff is so obviously fictional and not based in reality I just can't relate to it. I had the same problem with Ant and his flight attendant set. I crack up at John and Gary because their best stuff is rooted in reality. It's funny 'cuz it's true!
Old 07-21-04, 01:39 PM
Banned

DRG- My picks EXACTLY. I don't find Bonnie that funny, but funkin A man. She's SO hot, and she showed me her thong thus she has a place in my heart forever.

All Black people are democrats or all democrats are Black?
Choice A.

It's no surprise Tammy won the sitcom challenge, as her whole act is just a one note joke based on bull shit.
Completely agree, though for a different reason. Tammy's sitcom had the most realistic shot of being turned into a pilot, on friggin FOX. I said outloud, and I quote "I guarantee this bitch is going to be about her shitty goomba life" and low and behold, it was.
Old 07-21-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't they do this same "pitch a sitcom" game last year?
Why weren't these guys prepared for it (just in case)?
Did they not watch last season?

The main thing I hate about this season (and probably last season as well, I don't remember), is these stupid immunity challenges that really don't have much to do with their comedic talent, allowing hacks to continue when they don't deserve to be there.

Oh, I'm gonna vote for Todd as the wildcard.
Old 07-21-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the producers were pissed because last year, no one except for Dat Phan took the sitcom thing seriously. So they tried it again. I think they actually want one of those shows to happen.

D
Old 07-21-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DRG
My top five would've been Todd, Bonnie, John, Gary, and Kathleen.
How can you not include Alonzo? His performance at the roast and head-to-head was great!
Old 07-21-04, 03:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

alonzo is the absolute funniest. i'm betting 40 with my friend that he'll win this thing
Old 07-21-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TornDimension
alonzo is the absolute funniest. i'm betting 40 with my friend that he'll win this thing
Funny comedian but he lacks a semblance of a personality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.