Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Just watched Buffy S6: "Once More With Feeling"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-27-04, 09:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to those who convinced me to start watching Buffy/Angel and to stick with it.

I just finished watching "Once More With Feeling", and I have to say that was one of the best hours of television I have ever seen. I was worried that I would be disappointed because so many people hyped it, but I couldn't believe how great it was!

I expected humerous musical numbers, and there were some hilarious moments there. What I didn't expect was that the episode would also contain important plot/character development. There were actually tears in my eyes when
Spoiler:
Buffy admitted to the Scooby gang that they ripped her out of heaven and she now felt like she was in hell

Between this show and Babylon 5, you people have introduced me to some of the best entertainment around. Thank you.
Old 06-27-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also want to say a thank you to TVTalk! I just finished watching Buffy Last week. I went through 7 seasons in about 3 months, thanks to an awesome selection at my Library, and the FX reruns. I was extremely critical of Buffy before, having only seen an episode here or there. But watching it in sequence from beggining to end revealed probably one of the best shows i've seen.

And since i was enjoying Buffy so much i also jumped on the Angel bandwagon too. I'm up through the end of season 3 (once again thanks to an awesome library and TNT reruns) Also one of the best shows i've seen. (so far)

And back on the topic of ONCE MORE WITH FEELING I probably need to watch that episode again now that the DVD is out. I was much more impressed with episodes like HUSH or THE BODY. OMWF stands out as extremely ballsy, but i think maybe i didn't like it as much cause overall season 6 was the low point in my opinion. Much of what was revealed in that episode had already been dealt with repeatedly in the episodes leading up to it.

Since i enjoyed Buffy & Angel so much, and it was a recommendation from das, i'm going to try the babylon 5 if it ever gets into a regular rotation on Sci-Fi again.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 06-27-04 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-27-04, 01:10 PM
Enormous Genitals

Clark, you will NOT regret investing your time in Babylon 5.
Old 06-27-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Just watched Buffy S6: "Once More With Feeling"

Bandoman

There were actually tears in my eyes when
Spoiler:
Buffy admitted to the Scooby gang that they ripped her out of heaven and she now felt like she was in hell
I think my favorite part of the episode is the reaction shot from Willow.

Clark, just get the DVDs.

das
Old 06-27-04, 02:29 PM

Thats a bit much to invest going in Blind. I'm planning on Netflix'ing Alias Season 3 in the fall, and Angel Season 4, so among that i'll probably try Babylon Season 1.

I feel a little intimidated going into it. Will it hook me in the first season, or is there signifigant build-up time? Also, I heard there was going to be punch & pie?
Old 06-27-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Significant build-up time, but as everyone who's tried it will tell you, it's worth it. Punch & pie are in the second season.

das
Old 06-27-04, 02:51 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by das Monkey
Punch & pie are in the second season.

das
Lots of punch. Not so much pie, though.
Old 06-27-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bandoman

Lots of punch. Not so much pie, though.
Punch and Flarn, then.

das
Old 06-27-04, 09:05 PM

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Bando, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's my favorite hour of TV, ever.
Old 06-28-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got to see it on the DVD and it certainly lives up to the hype. And I hate musicals too, so I wasn't too sure about this. I know a lot of people don't like the post S5 Buffy and it's downer mood, but I find myself thinking this may be the one of the best seasons of the show with episodes like this, Seeing Red, Villains, etc. Shit, I even enjoyed Doublemeat Palace.
Old 06-28-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Re: Just watched Buffy S6: "Once More With Feeling"

I think my favorite part of the episode is the reaction shot from Willow.
My favorite part of ANY episode is any reaction shot of Willow
Old 06-28-04, 12:53 PM

Slightly off topic - suggest yopu check saveangel.org for the latest news. They are tying to get a spinoff made and they are posting news about the Buffy animated show. The latest report from the actor who played Spike is that they are doing a spinoff with him
Austin
Old 06-28-04, 04:42 PM

I am TNT's complete lack of proper scene transitions

Watching Angel on TNT is so frustrating. They've created their own commercial breaks in the show, ignoring the normal breaks. In one episode Wesley was speaking and they cut to a break in mid sentence. Nearly in midword.

And i don't think it was to just add another commercial break. Sometimes they'll ignore the traditional break, then 30 seconds cut to their own self-made commercial break. I'm kinda surprised they can get away with it.
Old 06-28-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, Once More with Feeling is a great episode. Sometimes I still find myself singing the songs.

The latest report from the actor who played Spike is that they are doing a spinoff with him
James really needs to move on. Spike has runs its course. I am up for spinoffs but not this one.
Old 06-28-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Punch and Flarn, then.
No, punch and spoo.
Old 06-28-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you enjoyed it Bandoman Certainly one of my alltime favorite hours ive spent watching TV.
Old 06-29-04, 09:29 AM

Re: I am TNT's complete lack of proper scene transitions

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Watching Angel on TNT is so frustrating. They've created their own commercial breaks in the show, ignoring the normal breaks. In one episode Wesley was speaking and they cut to a break in mid sentence. Nearly in midword.

And i don't think it was to just add another commercial break. Sometimes they'll ignore the traditional break, then 30 seconds cut to their own self-made commercial break. I'm kinda surprised they can get away with it.
I'm thinking that doing the weird commercial break is standard practice for cable networks or something. Me and my girlfriend finally sat down and watched most of Buffy through FX's daily showings (it's quite nice being able to watch an entire season in 11 days...), and not only were the commercials in the weird places you mentioned, but the episodes were also shortened to add more commercials in. Every episode that I'd seen enough to have practically memorized (The Gift, OMWF, Chosen, etc) had at least a line or two missing, and sometimes, in the case of OMWF, pretty substantial sections completely missing (the opening montage of the different characters, Dawn's dance number before Sweet's song among others).
Old 06-29-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quick question, is the DVD version of OMWF that "longer" version??? I have the S6 DVD set, but I have not watched them yet... I started watching the series over not long ago, and I am in Season 3 right now.
Old 06-29-04, 12:32 PM

Yes, the OMWF on the S6 set is the original, uncut version.
Old 06-29-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excellent!
Old 06-29-04, 01:20 PM
Enormous Genitals

There was a cut version? What did they cut out?
Old 06-29-04, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I just finished watching it myself, too, and I'm curious to know what they cut out.

What was everyone's favorite song from OMWF? I never cared much for Tara, but shit, Amber has a great voice. I liked the Xander/Anya "I'll Never Tell" number too, and Anya rocking out to "Bunnies" was hilarious.
Old 06-29-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bandoman
There was a cut version? What did they cut out?
They cut a lot of little moments. The most annoying were everything after the bunny freakout in the medley in the magic shop and the dawn/goons dance sequence. But lots of other little things.
Old 06-29-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They only aired the uncut version of this episode ONCE when it played the very first time since its length was about an hour and 15 minutes. The edits done to make it one hour were horrible and thank god I never need to watch that crap again.
Old 06-29-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems like Dawn had an entire dance sequence cut out.

In fact, after spending multiple seconds researching this topic on Google, I uncovered the following: Once More, With Feeling - the short version

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.