Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirectTV or Cable... which is better

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 08:28 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nazz
I rarely lose signal even in heavy rain. The higher the signal strength is the less trouble you have. My signals are into the 90's.

I wonder if you could tweak your dish a bit and improve yours.
What numbers are you getting?
My numbers are in the 90's as well.

I lost signal again in a storm last night.

But given both of these storms were sever thunderstorms, with pitch black clouds in the southern sky, super hard rain and wind.

I don't really mind, as long as I don't lose signal during snow storms. That would suck to be snowed in for a couple days and have no TV during a blizzard. Snow sticking to it's no issue, as the dish is just on a cinder block sitting on my patio (first floor, garden style apartment).
Old 05-27-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
One negative about DirectTV, that I just found out last night, is you will lose signal in a hard rain. We had a bad storm, and I lost signal for 45 minutes or so last night.
Geez. I'm only like 15 minutes from Laurel and I only lost signal for about 5 minutes during Tuesday nights storm. I'm not a big fan of the snow thing though since my dish is on top of a 3 story house. It happend once last winter with ice and it was out for a few hours.
Old 05-27-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We had a super-hard rainstorm the other night and I only lost signal for about 15 minutes.

I used to lose cable a lot more often and usually for no discernible reason.

I have been amazed at how good DirecTV is even in rain and snow. It usually does not go out at all. I think I have only lost signal a few times in the past year I've had it, and it is very brief.
Old 05-28-04, 10:06 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Timber
Geez. I'm only like 15 minutes from Laurel and I only lost signal for about 5 minutes during Tuesday nights storm.
Where you watching local channels or the "cable" channels?

I noticed both times that I lost the "cable" channels first and they came back later than the local ones.
Old 05-28-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Where you watching local channels or the "cable" channels?

I noticed both times that I lost the "cable" channels first and they came back later than the local ones.
You know it was the local channels and those generally do have a stonger signal. Luckily I still keep cable as a backup.