Reload this Page >

DirectTV or Cable... which is better

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirectTV or Cable... which is better

Old 05-25-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by djbrown
no dual tuners, season pass management, etc.. though as well.

The best $4.95 a month I spend are the DTivos fees.

Folks have no idea what they are missing until they sit down and witness the greatness that is the DirecTivo.
In response to your reply about my use of a Panasonic E80 DVR/DVD recorder & what I am "missing":
[list=a][*]I don't need dual tuners [*]I don't care to watch sports on TV, so season pass = [*]I buy DVD-R's & DVD-RAM with less than the $4.95/mo. subscription [*]I can archive shows and watch them at work or elsewhere [/list=a]

It all boils down to what's best for you! DirecTivo is not a benefit to me! My Panasonic E80 works just fine & I can archive from the hard drive to DVD-R or DVD-RAM on the same machine!

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 05-25-04 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You dont know what a season pass is.
Old 05-25-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sonicflood
[*]I don't care to watch sports on TV, so season pass =
Season passes are great for much more than sports. I'm not following you on that one.
Old 05-25-04, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict
You dont know what a season pass is.
Sorry, I thought season pass was for sports!

After reading about this feature in the features section of DirecTV DVR, I still have no need for it as I can set my DirecTV receiver and my DVR to record on a schedule! I've never missed anything due to a time shift! In fact, I've never known a program to be shifted to another date earlier than it was originally scheduled for. At least any that I have had a desire to see. Even so, it would logically be at a later date, so I could catch it at that time. If I feel that this may be a consideration, I can always record before, during and after a special program and easily edit later to remove the unwanted portion.

Guys, it's useless, I have no beneficial need for TIVO and am happy with my setup! It may be great for you & I'm happy that it is. That's what's great about having choices!!!

I'm NOT trying to convert any of you to using my setup, as it may not suit your needs. Nor am I bashing your choice!

I'll continue to enjoy the benefits of my equipment as they best suit my needs specifically!

Now, back to the original question of this thread.. I prefer DirecTV over cable!

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 05-25-04 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The season pass works better than you think. It knows if something higher on its ranking is a rerun it will record a lower ranked show in that timeslot. Its picked up a lot of CSI for me that way.
Old 05-25-04, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict
The season pass works better than you think. It knows if something higher on its ranking is a rerun it will record a lower ranked show in that timeslot. Its picked up a lot of CSI for me that way.
That's what a TV guide is for! If I am an avid fan of a TV series, I would know when it comes on & what episode. Even with your line of thinking, I can always erase if it's not what I want!

What was not clear in my previous statement?:

"Guys, it's useless, I have no beneficial need for TIVO and am happy with my setup! It may be great for you & I'm happy that it is. That's what's great about having choices!!!

I'm NOT trying to convert any of you to using my setup, as it may not suit your needs. Nor am I bashing your choice!

I'll continue to enjoy the benefits of my equipment as they best suit my needs specifically!"

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 05-25-04 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunday nights would be pure hell without my DirecTivos recording Simpson's, Alias, Sopranos, Deadwood, the Practice, etc. etc while I watch a game on ESPN or whatever. I just added the new HD-DVR, which surprisingly has MUCH better OTA reception than my old HD box. I can finally get Fox OTA - just in time for next season when they go true HD.
Old 05-26-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly its low maintence. You tell it what you like once.
Old 05-26-04, 01:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Another question, with the initial set up do you just need to hook it up to a Tv and phoneline, and not directTV?
That's correct. The box will function without a satellite signal, although it can't record anything (obviously), and will let you do the initial setup.
Old 05-26-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DirecTV w/ Tivo.

Friends dont let friends do cable tv.
Old 05-26-04, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daryl
Sunday nights would be pure hell without my DirecTivos recording Simpson's, Alias, Sopranos, Deadwood, the Practice, etc. etc while I watch a game on ESPN or whatever. I just added the new HD-DVR, which surprisingly has MUCH better OTA reception than my old HD box. I can finally get Fox OTA - just in time for next season when they go true HD.
I love my HDTiVo. I certainly hope the story I read was true about Fox setting all their stations up with HD equipment and not just the O&O ones.
Old 05-26-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Sonicflood
[*]I don't need dual tuners
You clearly don't watch enough TV
Old 05-26-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see how anyone couldn't need dual tuners. I could use three tuners, especially come this fall!

Even when there isn't two shows you want to record at the same time, it is nice to have a tuner free when you are recording something so you can surf other channels. I hate watching commercials and anything live, so I'd rather watch a news channel or something and then start watching a show 15 minutes later to zap out commercials. Plus, there are a lot of shows I watch with my husband, so if he's busy, I can watch something else until he's free to watch the program with me.
Old 05-26-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have 5 tuners, and there are actually times when it's not enough.

das
Old 05-26-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank goodness I have 3 DirecTivos, so I guess technically I have 6 tuners. But I wish I could capture everything on one machine. I do most of my watching in the living room, the other DirecTivos are in my bedroom and my basement exercise room.
Old 05-26-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was this a drive-by posting from the Ambassador?
Old 05-26-04, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Chew
Ah, who cares? As forum Circle-Jerks go, this has been one of the better ones.
Old 05-26-04, 11:00 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally posted by Chew

ha ha ha
Old 05-26-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Chew •

I wonder if he's embarrassed to post now that he's just Citizen G'Kar.

das
Old 05-26-04, 12:02 PM
Retired

One negative about DirectTV, that I just found out last night, is you will lose signal in a hard rain. We had a bad storm, and I lost signal for 45 minutes or so last night.

But still, obviously you can lose cable as well, with branches taking out the cable lines and what not, but that doesn't happen everytime it storms.

Still, I'd take DirectTV with the better picture quality and cheaper price over Cable anyday.
Old 05-26-04, 12:03 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Groucho
That's correct. The box will function without a satellite signal, although it can't record anything (obviously), and will let you do the initial setup.
Cool. I'll have to pick one up when I have an extra $100 to burn. I wish I had know that at the time I ordered.

Is there any info I'd need to have with me to punch in during the set up process (i.e. DirecTV account number etc)

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 05-26-04 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 12:11 PM

BTW, I saw an ad last night that said you can get the DirectTivo in three $33 installments now, for those who don't have the full $99 up front.
Old 05-26-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
One negative about DirectTV, that I just found out last night, is you will lose signal in a hard rain. We had a bad storm, and I lost signal for 45 minutes or so last night.

But still, obviously you can lose cable as well, with branches taking out the cable lines and what not, but that doesn't happen everytime it storms.

Still, I'd take DirectTV with the better picture quality and cheaper price over Cable anyday.
I rarely lose signal even in heavy rain. The higher the signal strength is the less trouble you have. My signals are into the 90's.

I wonder if you could tweak your dish a bit and improve yours.
What numbers are you getting?
Old 05-26-04, 03:25 PM

It depends on your area and the angle of your dish. I haven't had problems with rain, but snow accumulation would sometimes give me grief. I solved that by getting up on a ladder and lubing my di
Old 05-26-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had the snow problem too when it's wet and sticks to the dish. I mounted mine low so I can reach it to clear it off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.