Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville *Season Finale* - 05/19/04

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Patman
I think in this incarnation of the Superman mythos, Chloe becomes Lois the Daily Planet reporter, etc. This is just part of that new take on the mythos.
There was an episode this season that established Chloe had a cousin named Lois Lane who worked for the Daily Planet. I assume you missed it.
Old 05-19-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, I did not.
Old 05-19-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
There was an episode this season that established Chloe had a cousin named Lois Lane who worked for the Daily Planet. I assume you missed it.
Some people out there think that she assumes the name of her cousin as her pen-name. Maybe she has no other choice, due to witness relocation, or her name being tainted too well by Lionel. We'll find out one day i suppose.
Old 05-19-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Chloe uses the name Lois Lane in an episode but was quick to point that her cousin had no interest in journalism, which was why she chose that as a monicker. I think it was where Perry White needed a credible name to use in the byline of her report, and not some teenager's.

Before that episode, when Chloe had returned from her earlier internship at the Planet, she tells Clark about an intern that he really has to meet. I had thought she was referring to Lois Lane until the aforementioned episode.
Old 05-19-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Eplicon
Before that episode, when Chloe had returned from her earlier internship at the Planet, she tells Clark about an intern that he really has to meet. I had thought she was referring to Lois Lane until the aforementioned episode.
I watched that episode today. I think she was talking about a guy to make Clark jealous. And that makes me think Jimmy Olsen.
Old 05-19-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I think it was where Perry White needed a credible name to use in the byline of her report, and not some teenager's.
Lionel banned Chloe from writing for the Daily Planet after he cancelled her column... so she said she'd submit articles secretly by using her cousin's name.
Old 05-19-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Perhaps, an investigation of her cousin's death prompts cousin Lois to start writing after all...
Old 05-19-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Great episode. Season 3 started great, got bogged down midseason, starting gaining momentum towards the finale but ended with a massive bang.

Speaking of which... Kristin Kreuk...
Old 05-19-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Speaking of Perry White -
Spoiler:
Michael McKean is joining the cast next season.
Old 05-19-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Speaking of which... Kristin Kreuk...
The best she has looked in a long time.
Old 05-19-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno. I just can't justify liking a series based on a pretty good season finale and a largely mediocre season.
Old 05-19-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the finale raised enough questions to keep my interest piqued at least through the November Sweeps. Will have to re-evaluate after that point.

Really thought this was a fairly good episode.

Was Lionel behind all the mayhem with Lex and Chloe? Looked like a suspicious look between the Fed and Chloe before she walked in the house. Not sure if the Fed was telegraphing anything or not.
Old 05-19-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can see Clark’s rebirth doing something like messing up the time line, and him knowing what had happened, and going around and saving everyone. They will kop out somehow, I know it.
Old 05-19-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cdoug57
Looked like a suspicious look between the Fed and Chloe before she walked in the house. Not sure if the Fed was telegraphing anything or not.
When he gave her that look, I didn't think she would go into the house - I knew her father was a dead man as soon as he opened the door, but I didn't think she would actually follow him in.
Old 05-19-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, I thought the bomb was going to go off as soon as dad opened the door....the blast blowing Chloe back to relative safety..

guess not.
Old 05-19-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
A suprisingly excellent episode. It actually made a lot of the crap during this season worth trudging through.

Assuming they don't cop out during the next season opener (I'm scared that they will, though I hope not), this is how I saw the final moments:

Chloe is obviously dead. Lois will take up her job at the Daily Planet to find out who had her cousin killed.

Lex is dead. Lionel will "die" in prison, Lex will "disappear" and "return" many years later as an elusive magnate. Thus Lionel is the real Lex Lutjor. Either they'll pull the "magic surgery" trick and have Michael Rosenbaum return as Lionel posing as Lex or, in an homage to the Clark Kent/Superman glasses trick, no one will reckognize a bald Lionel Luthor or assume that Lex has grown into the very image of his father.

Johnathan is dead or will die during the years Clark is missing.

Clark will receive tutelage from Jor-El for twelve years, learn of his true destiny (he is not a conqueror but the last survivor of a dead race that must learn to control all his abilities in order to "lead [humanity] by [his] example" and probably get a nod to Brando by being to told he is "forbidden from interfering with human history"). Return to Smallville a grown man, learn the fate of his parents (I'm assuming Martha will be very much alive when he returns) and relocate to Metropolis, wear the glasses for whatever reason, and not be immediately recognized by Lionel/Lex (though his suspisions will be aroused by the appearance of Superman toward the end of the last season - though they could use the old comic book plot device of "my parents raised Superman and myself together as boys but kept him a secret" that was used on Lois Lane when she tracked the first Superman sighting back to Smallville). He gets a job at the Daily Planet and meets Lois Lane.

Lana returns either married to Pete Ross (as in the comic books) or dating Lex Luthor (like in the animated series). Lot's of uncomfortable pauses ensue.

Pete might actually return as regular cast member.

So, what do you guys think? Any alternate opinions?
Old 05-19-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think tying the comic continuity into Smallville continuity isn't the way to go (i.e. I see zero chance Pete and Lana wind up together in "Smallville").
Old 05-19-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by RocShemp
Chloe is obviously dead. Lois will take up her job at the Daily Planet to find out who had her cousin killed.
Howzabout this...

Spoiler:
It's been reported that Allison has been seen with black hair. Perhaps "Lois" will still be played by Allison...I'm not saying Chloe's still alive. Just that Allison is still with the show.

But I agree with Patman...trying to tie the two together is futile..
Old 05-19-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh I know, Patman. It's just wishful thinking in my case. I felt Pete was terribly underused. And, since the series keeps making homages, albeit twisted to fit any particular episode, to the comics and movies, I figured it'd be nice to have Pete hook up with Lana so he'd finally get regular screentime on the show.
Old 05-19-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
Lex is dead. Lionel will "die" in prison, Lex will "disappear" and "return" many years later as an elusive magnate. Thus Lionel is the real Lex Lutjor. Either they'll pull the "magic surgery" trick and have Michael Rosenbaum return as Lionel posing as Lex or, in an homage to the Clark Kent/Superman glasses trick, no one will reckognize a bald Lionel Luthor or assume that Lex has grown into the very image of his father.
This is very close to a storyline that ran through the Superman titles back in the 90s.

Luthor had developed cancer after wearing a Kryptonite ring for many years. After fighting with the cancer for awhile, he finally took a solo flight across the country and mysteriously crashed. A corpse was found and he was pronounced dead. His will named an, up until then, unknown son - Lex Luthor II.

Luthor II popped up and took control of LexCorp. Walked around trying to "make up" for all the evil his father caused.

It was later revealed:

Spoiler:
Luthor Jr. was actually Luthor Sr. He had cloned a perfect, cancer-free body and had his brain transplanted into it.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 05-19-04 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome season finale. Who will come back next season? Seems like everyone could be gone.

I hope they don't kill Chloe. But how will she survive that explosion?

Is Lionel going to take on the identity of Lex?
Old 05-19-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
In a way that is the genesis of my theory, The Valeyard. I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed that John Glover was a shade of red hair away from being the spiting image of Lex Luthor II.
Old 05-19-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Absolutely marvelous episode. Unlike others, i've enjoyed the entire season and the finale was icing on the cake. I don't think Lex is dead... i hope Chole would be, but she's supposed to be back next season so that kills that. I think it would stupid if she came back is Lois. Lionel looks badass Looking forward to seeing what they do with Clark.
Old 05-19-04, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by The Valeyard
It was later revealed:

Spoiler:
Luthor Jr. was actually Luthor Sr. He had cloned a perfect, cancer-free body and had his brain transplanted into it.
very interesting.....

i wonder if thats why Lionel was getting his head shaved.
Old 05-19-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, for those who want to know, the girl portraying Kara is Adrianne Palicki. She's apparently starring as Judy Robinson in the WB's remake of the series Lost In Space aclled The Robinsons: Lost In Space.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.