Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who are your BOTTOM THREE tonight?
Please select for your BOTTOM THREE
7.14%
Fantasia Barrino
22.62%
Diana DeGarmo
52.38%
Jennifer Hudson
29.76%
George Huff
46.43%
LaToya London
10.71%
John Stevens
72.62%
Jasmine Trias
29.76%
twikoff writes the songs
5.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 11:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but isn't switchfoot a rock band?

i agree with this being a bullshit decision. she was easily the second greatest singer this season. i hope the red head wins it now just to spite em all.
Old 04-21-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by antennaball
I know Kimberly Locke is doing quite well with a song that's surprisingly good and is getting a ton of airplay down here. She's opening at a Switchfoot concert that I'm going to tomorrow night.
yea.. i knew about her
and obviously clay and ruben
and josh has a country album coming out
so thats at least 4 of the 12.. I would bet that more of them have deals and albums, or albums in the works..
I didnt really watch the first season much.. so not sure what happened to their final 12 afterwards
Old 04-21-04, 11:07 PM

I disagree that she went tonight as well. It wasn't a just decision. She will get a record deal and she will be in magazines etc. She is a great singer. I think John should have been the one to go tonight. I love him but he is the weakest link in this group.

Shawnee
Old 04-21-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok i'll ask it...

...what does america have against black women?

that should have been the final 3 tonight (i could see george instead of jennifer). i just dont get it. i could actually not care less about the awful radio-pop they sing but for the competition...those three should not have been the bottom 3.
Old 04-21-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jennifer's not going to win, so it's not a big loss (no weight jokes please), but definitely before her time. I will give some credit to La Toya and Fantasia for showing some class when they found out they'd been tricked. They both smiled and started clapping for the group that was "safe" while Jennifer sported an "oh no you di'in't" stance. Fantasia going out of her way to say "you're my American Idol" into the microphone didn't seem very genuine, though.

Anyway, this isn't particularly new. People often don't vote for the best performers, because they don't think it's necessary. They vote for whom they think is on the chopping block but want to save. After tonight's result, they'll realize they need to kick it in gear for La Toya and Fantasia and vote accordingly. This happens every season. People who are upset about this (America hates black women?) need to take a step back and remember how the voting for this thing works.

das
Old 04-21-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was even more shocking than the early departure of Amy Adams. I never much cared for Jennifer to begin with but week by week she has grown on me. I thought she improved quite a bit through the competition. She deserved a couple of more weeks (Opie a couple of less weeks). Latoya's tally was a crime. Fantasia is obviously not very popular. I think her personality and attitude will do her in soon. Maybe next week with a so-so effort and a few more "yeah, yeahs".

What I think is so funny about all of this is how little influence the judges had over the results. It was so obvious they were pushing hard for Jennifer, Latoya, and - most of all - Fantasia. Then they end up as the bottom three and panic ensues. The judges egos must have taken a serious hit. Tonights show was the funniest I have seen yet. They are having nightmares of Opie winning this thing and killing off the show.
Old 04-21-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I ever believed that the show is fixed, it would be tonight.

Or maybe the teen/Text message group is really going to out way the Adult/Phone group.
Old 04-21-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think playing to the "three divas" thing really hurt them, they're taking votes away from each other. People are seeing them as similar and the others as offering something different...
Old 04-21-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It really did suck what the did to George tonight, unfair.
Old 04-21-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 373 Likes on 241 Posts
Never underestimate the voting power of teenage girls and old women--they've kept John Stevens in the game even though he should have gone weeks ago.

I feel bad for Jennifer--I thought she'd be in the top four for sure. I am really glad Fantasia's still there though; I like both her and Laytoya (and George, at least the earlier George) but Fantasia has become my favorite. I might be the only one, but I like her yeah yeah yeahs.

tasha
Old 04-21-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JMLEWIS1
I think playing to the "three divas" thing really hurt them, they're taking votes away from each other. People are seeing them as similar and the others as offering something different...
exactly
the pulled enough votes away from each other.. that by splitting them up, caused them not to equal the amount that the others got seperately

with 1 out of the mix.. it should make life easier on the other 2

jennifer had some rough starts in the early rounds
and probably should have gone home awhile ago
she has gotten SO MUCH better lately.. but really, maybe it was too little too late

John has overstayed his welcome big time.. and should be kicked out regardless.. but jennifers has been on borrowed time for awhile now
Old 04-21-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Just wow. Heh, check out our stats. Our top three (least voted for) were the bottom three.
I like John, but this isn't his competition. I believe in a few years he could be something, but he should have been gone tonight. Or George, he was a wreck last night. I don't care for Jennifer, but this wasn't her week to go.

I know they were running late, but it was kind of shitty of them to cut off Jennifer at the end. She didn't even get in a 'swan song.'
Old 04-21-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk God

anyone really think the voting is based on just that nights performances?

so people have hung on and slipped through and been lucky so far.. jasmine still is on that fence

while others have been really great for the most part.. and just had a bad night.. if george had been kicked off after being so great for the rest of the competition, just for one bad night.. it would have been even a bigger mess.

diana doesnt have much support on her side.. so her and john will probably go before much longer.. but hell.. with how its going, i wouldnt be shocked if john won the whole damn thing
Old 04-21-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show isn't fixed. They seemed really in a panic over how it is turning out. I don't think they wanted Jennifer out. If it was fixed, they would have made sure JPL stayed around over "Mr. Singing Sominex" John Stevens.

It isn't racial either. Last week's bottom 3 were all white if I remember correctly. It never seems to fall along racial lines. The three tonight are rarely in the bottom 3 and George (the only black male) has never made the bottom three. If you recall, Seacrest said Jennifer actually got the most votes in a previous week. I'm really rather tired of all the race arguments. They don't hold up against scrutiny on either side.
Old 04-21-04, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by moocher
Tonights show was the funniest I have seen yet. They are having nightmares of Opie winning this thing and killing off the show.
Bingo.
Old 04-21-04, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by moocher
They seemed really in a panic over how it is turning out. I don't think they wanted Jennifer out.
They're screaming for people to vote for the best while trying not to insult Red and Jasmine.

Priceless.
Old 04-21-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anything, the judges have only themselves to blame for letting "Opie" into the final competition. Win (Oh shit!) or lose, Opie will be joining the remaining 11 to tour and do albums.

The producer's didn't sucker punch George. The girls from group A assumed they were the top 3 and pulled him with them. Ryan told George to go to the group with the most votes. I was sitting there thinking why did he join them when no announcement had been made. Of course, I thought group A were the top vote getters and group B were the bottom like most everyone else. What this tells everyone is not to assume anything.

Again, Big Red deserved to go. Jennifer simply did not have the fan base. She was not the worst. It's a popularity contest at this point.

As for what some of the past contestants are doing now...Kim Caldwell was doing interviews of AI contestants for the TV Guide Channel. Tamyra Grey who has acted on Boston Public and recently, Tru Calling has an album that will finally be released in a few months. Josh Gracin, the military dude, has an album out. Same for RJ Helton. That's more than I care to remember.
Old 04-21-04, 11:54 PM

The Idol stage, however, has a trapdoor. Aiken, in the lead with 2.5 million albums sold, "probably won't have a lasting and meaningful career," Marks says. "Kelly has juice left, but none of them will be around much longer, and they don't necessarily deserve to be."
==
Barrino may be the first Idol to fulfill the show's promise of discovering genuine talent, Marks says.

Her Summertime last week "was a great, deep version that reminded me of soul and jazz singers of the '60s, like Nancy Wilson," he says. "Fantasia is way out front, and the rest are glorified karaoke singers, so the contest will be a charade" till the finale May 26.

Time for sister girl to go on and get her real career started.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...dol-main_x.htm
Old 04-21-04, 11:56 PM

9 people have had their career jumpstarted...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...reportcard.htm
Old 04-22-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm... White folks eliminated on Soul and Motown night. African American eliminated on Barry Manilow night.

We told you so!

Old 04-22-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Go whiteys!
Old 04-22-04, 12:12 AM

So I'm reading elsewhere on the web that Red is "in pain", having a horrible time, and wants it to be over so he can go home.
Old 04-22-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well that's one shrieker gone. Yay.
Old 04-22-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gettinbranded
So I'm reading elsewhere on the web that Red is "in pain"...
Are you sure they didn't mean Camile?
* rimshot *

Thanks, I'm here all week!
Old 04-22-04, 12:20 AM

From the AI boards:

I was even more shocked with the judges and Ryan's comments that America voted the wrong way! Why don't we just save everyone some time and eliminate the one's the judges have made it clear they don't like right now? Why bother having a competition?
They just might next season...and leave Americas voting for the final two...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.