Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to SNL reruns on E! & Comedy Central?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What happened to SNL reruns on E! & Comedy Central?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: What happened to SNL reruns on E! & Comedy Central?

They show maybe one performance from the musical acts during the reruns and most of the time the WU segments.

Maybe Antenna TV or some oldies station could pick up those old SNL shows.

Why not air them on Nick at Night? They and MT2 are part of the Viacom family.
Old 09-05-17, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VH1 and Logo showed episodes last year for awhile. Logo showed some episodes from 2004-2006.
Old 09-05-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I'm almost certain it has to do with viewing demographics. Millennials have little interest in watching SNL reruns from before their time.
Old 09-05-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm almost certain it has to do with viewing demographics. Millennials have little interest in watching SNL reruns from before their time.
I'm starting to come to terms that Sports & Entertainment is starting to shift their marketing towards Millenials. They are a bigger generation then GenX and now are all at that prime age of advertising (ages 18-35).
Old 09-05-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

A lot of the pop culture and political things from the older SNLs would go right over the heads of anyone under thirty.
Old 09-05-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I don't understand why they don't show any older SNL (No Dana Carvey era, No Martin Short Season, No Eddie Murphy era, no Belushi era). I guess I'm just not the target audience anymore as they seem to only show the last 5-10 years probably targeting Millenials?
I get the sense that the Eddie Murphy era of SNL has been tossed down the memory hole for political reasons. Despite the early 80s producing arguably two of the shows most recognizable stars (Eddie Murphy and Julia Louis-Dreyfus), it's been suppressed by corporate because it was produced by Dick Ebersol and not Lorne Michaels.
Old 09-06-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I'm starting to come to terms that Sports & Entertainment is starting to shift their marketing towards Millenials. They are a bigger generation then GenX and now are all at that prime age of advertising (ages 18-35).
Pretty much anything older than the year 2000 is quickly getting memoryholed in pop culture. I even think massive hits like Seinfeld and Friends are getting the same treatment.

It made news this summer when Dodgers rookie Cody Bellinger had no idea what Seinfeld was. He's 21.
Old 09-06-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I get the sense that the Eddie Murphy era of SNL has been tossed down the memory hole for political reasons. Despite the early 80s producing arguably two of the shows most recognizable stars (Eddie Murphy and Julia Louis-Dreyfus), it's been suppressed by corporate because it was produced by Dick Ebersol and not Lorne Michaels.
I still think the best SNL season ever was 1984-85 with Crystal, Short, Jim Belushi, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Julia Louis Dreyfuss. That was Dick Ebersol's last year at the helm before Lorne Michaels came back. I can't remember the last time they show any reruns from that year as it was just a solid overall season.

My favorite SNL Skit was The Synocronized Swimmers preparing for the Olympics. Martin Short was gold in every skit that year.

Last edited by mcnabb; 09-06-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Everyone has their favorite era of SNL, and despite growing up during the Murphy years (when SNL was the only fun thing a kid without a driver's license or ability to buy beer could do on a Saturday night), I think the best SNL was the early 90s when you had Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, David Spade, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Dennis Miller, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Jan Hooks. Hell, that cast had so many names I'm probably forgetting some.
Old 09-07-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Everyone has their favorite era of SNL, and despite growing up during the Murphy years (when SNL was the only fun thing a kid without a driver's license or ability to buy beer could do on a Saturday night), I think the best SNL was the early 90s when you had Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, David Spade, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Dennis Miller, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Jan Hooks. Hell, that cast had so many names I'm probably forgetting some.
That is my favorite era as well. SNL was the perfect vehicle for Carvey's talents.
Old 09-07-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is my favorite era as well. SNL was the perfect vehicle for Carvey's talents.
No doubt that Carvey & Hartman are in the top 10 of best SNL cast members of all-time. I just hated Sandler and his schtick so that era is either really funny or really stupid.
Old 09-07-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Kein Nealon. Jon Lovitz.

Yes, that period from the late 80s to the mid-90s was really good. Massive aou t of talent. My only complaints would be that it had lost its anarchic edge by that time and was running like a well-oiled machine. It was all very slick, but it had lost most of the darker stuff. I also rememberthem running some recurring sketches into the ground like "Coffee Talk" and "Hans and Franz." Basically one-note gags that they seemed to drag out every week. And genuinely funny and inventive recurring skits like "Wayne's World" seemed to only play a couple of times a season.
Old 09-07-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved when Comedy Central did the SNL Merry A Thons in the late 90s around the holidays.