Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to SNL reruns on E! & Comedy Central?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-09-04, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SNL use to come on like 10 times a day on Comedy Central then they lost the rights nad went to E! and now they never air the show. If it wasn't for Howard Stern and SNL reruns I'd never watch it. I use to love that Aisha Tyler too. So when do SNL reruns come on?
Old 04-09-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't Comedy Central lose the rights to the shows, thus the reason they picked up Mad TV?

E! should show them more, I agree. How many times do we need to see 101 Reasons E! Sucks aired night after night after night after night. I lost count how many times I saw that Britney special on when I flip past the channel. Hell, I'd even settle for some classic reruns of the E! True Hollywood Story for a change. The line up of late has been less than entertaining.

An off point, but who here recalls when they ran episodes of Too Close For Comfort?
Old 04-09-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NBC sued E! because E! did something they weren't supposed to do with episodes of the show. I think they were re-editing the episodes and doing certain things that pissed NBC off, so NBC terminated the 'agreement' they had with E!.

I don't know about Comedy Central though.
Old 04-09-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, E! wanted to make a "100 greatest skits" list/marathon, but NBC/Lorne claimed that violated the terms of their agreement to show episodes, so SNL reruns are just in limbo now.
Old 04-10-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya, Comedy Central stopped showing them last year and then E! was suppose to show them but then something happened? I don't know what.
Old 04-10-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always hated the fact that it's a COMEDY show on a COMEDY station, and what do they do to edit the show down to 60 minutes? They cut out COMEDY to make room for both musical performances (which usually suck by the way).
Old 04-10-04, 05:58 PM

I think the contracts were limited to 250 showings of each episode.
Old 04-10-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Long story short... Comedy Central lost the rights to show Re-runs at the begining of the year and starting playing MadTV. E! picked up the rights to show SNL, but they wantd to cut up the episodes into a "100 Greatest Skits" marathon says TheMadMonk. NBC didn't like that and took away their rights. There is no certainity as to where the episodes where will be re-run.

Hopefully they can work something out so they can get back on TV. I can't stand MadTV and I don't understand why Comedy Central thought it was a good idea to re-run.
Old 04-11-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
I can't stand MadTV and I don't understand why Comedy Central thought it was a good idea to re-run.
Old 04-11-04, 02:32 PM
Banned

The goof who runs E! needs to be canned!
They got rid of their E! NEWS anchor team of Jules Asner & Steve Komeko and that show hasn't been worth watching since.
Old 04-14-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
Hopefully they can work something out so they can get back on TV. I can't stand MadTV and I don't understand why Comedy Central thought it was a good idea to re-run.
I've tried to get into MadTV, but I just don't find it all that funny. I know it seems to be Comedy Central's M.O. when it gets rights to a show, but I'm tired of MadTV being on 18 hours a day (CC did the same when it had SNL). At least they are airing Strangers With Candy on a daily basis again.
Old 04-14-04, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by wm lopez
They got rid of their E! NEWS anchor team of Jules Asner & Steve Komeko and that show hasn't been worth watching since.
Jules Asner is gone? She was the hottest. Whoever runs E! also canceled Talk Soup which I'm still pissed about. With all the reality shows on now they could've let it run a little more with a new host.
Old 04-14-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DJLinus
I've tried to get into MadTV, but I just don't find it all that funny. I know it seems to be Comedy Central's M.O. when it gets rights to a show, but I'm tired of MadTV being on 18 hours a day (CC did the same when it had SNL).
Yeah they ran SNL into the ground there. And they NEVER seemed to show the older stuff like early Eddie Murphy or Mary Gross or Tim Kasurinski....

And I have to agree with Patrick G on his point - who CARES about the musical groups. I remember seeing one hour episode where the band played 3 times. Dream Academy? I mean WTF?!?!

At least they are airing Strangers With Candy on a daily basis again.
[Shiela Broflovski voice]What, what, WHAT!??!?![/Shiela Broflovski voice]

I don't see that anywhere on their website!?!?!?!

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-14-04 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-14-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan

[Shiela Broflovski voice]What, what, WHAT!??!?![/Shiela Broflovski voice]

I don't see that anywhere on their website!?!?!?!
Maybe I overspoke, as I don't see it listed for today. But the past few days it has been on in the afternoon (1 or 2 pm). Weird that they aren't doing it now. It has inspired me to break out the DVD sets and watch a bunch of the episodes over again, though. That show was genius. "All they hear is 'who wants cake.'"

Looks like they are just showing it sporadically this month: 2:00 - 3:00 am on 4/20 and 9:30 - 10:30 am on 4/24.
Old 04-14-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe I overspoke, as I don't see it listed for today. But the past few days it has been on in the afternoon (1 or 2 pm). Weird that they aren't doing it now. It has inspired me to break out the DVD sets and watch a bunch of the episodes over again, though. That show was genius. "All they hear is 'who wants cake.'"

Looks like they are just showing it sporadically this month: 2:00 - 3:00 am on 4/20 and 9:30 - 10:30 am on 4/24.
Not to bring the thread too off topic, but I never understood the appeal of that show and I have a pretty weird sense of humor. I always thought SWC was awful to the point of making me physically ill by watching it.
Old 04-14-04, 12:24 PM
Banned

Speaking of SWC:

Broderick, Parker Sweet on 'Candy'

Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker aren't afraid of "Strangers With Candy."

The couple have agreed to star in a feature film based on Comedy Central's short-lived satire of moralistic afterschool specials, their respective reps have confirmed.

Their attachment comes as a result of a friendship with Amy Sedaris, the co-creator and star of the cult series. Sedaris previously teamed with Parker on "Sex and the City," playing Carrie Bradshaw's editor.

There is no formal deal for Broderick and Parker, and it is still unclear what characters they will be playing. Filming is set to start in June in New York City. A director will be announced shortly.

The show starred Sedaris alongside fellow co-creators Paul Dinello and Stephen Colbert and aired for three seasons on Comedy Central beginning in 1999. Sedaris plays a frumpy and unattractive outcast who returned to high school after 30 years of hard living on the streets and in prison. However, the rough times don't end at school as, while trying to shed her immoral past, she's forced to mix and mingle with kids who are hipper, more beautiful and more popular than she is.
Old 04-14-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
Actually, Steve quit.
Old 04-14-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So, will Broderick play basically the same character he was in Election?
Old 04-14-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Some of the music performances I didn't mind(Nirvana, Pearl Jam and some other big names) but they could honestly cut out crap like Dream Factory like mentioned above.
Old 04-15-04, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was really too bad to see SNL leave Comedy Central. Never been a big fan of Mad TV, first of all. Plus, with SNL, they had almost thirty years of material at their disposal and on occasion they'd show some great episodes with Chevy Chase or Eddie Murphy.

Hopefully Comedy Central can show them again and stop with all the Mad TV. Plus, I never really figured out why they would put SNL on E! anyways? It just didn't make sense along with all of their hundred greatest shows.
Old 04-16-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I am surprised to see barely any love for Mad TV here. I enjoy it and often find it funnier than SNL. Don't get me wrong, when SNL shines, it shines gold and Mad TV cannot touch it. But don't take my Mad TV away because of that! I think they both should have room on the network, tho I also agree they don't need to show it all the time except for the occasional marathon.
Old 09-03-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: What happened to SNL reruns on E! & Comedy Central?

I checked and now they air on MTV2.

They were on Comedy Central and stopped around 2016.
Old 09-04-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I checked and now they air on MTV2.

They were on Comedy Central and stopped around 2016.
I don't understand why they don't show any older SNL (No Dana Carvey era, No Martin Short Season, No Eddie Murphy era, no Belushi era). I guess I'm just not the target audience anymore as they seem to only show the last 5-10 years probably targeting Millenials?
Old 09-04-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I always assumed it was a rights/licensing issue. Maybe they don't want to give up those shows for too little $$$. And nobody wants to pay up yet.
Old 09-04-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I don't understand why they don't show any older SNL (No Dana Carvey era, No Martin Short Season, No Eddie Murphy era, no Belushi era). I guess I'm just not the target audience anymore as they seem to only show the last 5-10 years probably targeting Millenials?
I don't get it either. They don't show the musical acts, so music rights can't be an issue.

They only show stuff post-2000. I'd also like to see the Eddie Murphy and Phil Hartman eras. Hell, I'd like to check out the "lost years" (early 80s), just out of curiosity.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.