Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Babylon 5 Season FIVE Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Babylon 5 Season FIVE Discussion Thread

Season 5 is about a week away from being released (April 13th) and it's time to start thinking B5 again. Two weeks from today, I'll start the tradition of posting daily episode reviews for discussion.

Here's the 4th Season finale for review:

"The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"

Fourth season finale. A look back at the impact of Babylon 5 from 100, 500, 1000, and 1000000 years in the future.
Though the implication was that the gunshot at the end of the video clip in 2362 was directed at Garibaldi, that's not certain. It could as easily have been someone else firing at one of his captors to prevent his death.

The 2362 historians' interpretation of the outcome of Sheridan allowing telepaths to set up a colony of Babylon 5 -- the worst mistake of his career, they claimed he as much as said -- may have been shaded by their less than charitable views about Sheridan. The actual events may have been much less disastrous than they implied.

It's possible Delenn's appearance in 2362 wasn't entirely a coincidence. The moderator appeared to be sympathetic to her point of view (though he could have just been playing devil's advocate to spark discussion) and may have warned her of the upcoming broadcast and its likely tone.

The Ranger's parting line, "This is how the world ends. Swallowed in fire, but not in darkness," echoes Kosh's reply to Emperor Turhan ("The Coming of Shadows") that the situation would end in fire.

One other event was predicted to occur in a million years: it's when Jason Ironheart said he'd see Sinclair again ("Mind War.") Coincidence, or does Ironheart (or Sinclair) play some part in whatever is happening in the distant future? The Ranger appeared to be noncorporeal, implying perhaps that the rest of humanity took a million years to catch up to Ironheart's level of development.
Now I can finally watch all the episodes from start to finish on DVD. I've been waiting for this a loooong time.
Old 04-05-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
And so it begins
Old 04-05-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I completely forgot about this release since I downloaded all of season 5. That reminds to start checking in Costco for their price since I didn't preorder it.
Old 04-05-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Now, why is the 5th season considered to be B-5's red-headded stepchild? - yeah yeah, I know - they resolved most everything in season 4. But still, season 5 is much better than season 1.
Old 04-05-04, 05:17 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Season 5 is good as was almost all B5 but I won't be picking up season 5 the very first day like i did the previous 4. I guess it depends what else is released that week. I will get it eventually.
Old 04-07-04, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, don't want this thread to fall too far.
Old 04-07-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Ok, don't want this thread to fall too far.
You want som help with that? You take the even days; I'll take the odd ones.
Old 04-07-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm pre-ordering it from amazon with 10% off for STL.
Old 04-07-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love Babylon 5, I wish they would come up with a workable spin off. I will be picking up season 5 eventhough I havn't even opened season 4 or finished season 3. Wife gets mad when I jump episodes, she wants to watch them in order.
Old 04-07-04, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by slop101
Now, why is the 5th season considered to be B-5's red-headded stepchild? - yeah yeah, I know - they resolved most everything in season 4. But still, season 5 is much better than season 1.
It suffers from Return of the Jedi Syndrome. The problem with Jedi is that it's a perfectly servicable film that's a follow up to an amazingly awsome film. If it had come first, I suspect that it would have been better recieved.

Same thing here. If Season 5 was a season of Voyager or Enterprise, we would be jumping off the walls with joy. But following up the amazing season 4, it simply pales in comparison.
Old 04-07-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
It suffers from Return of the Jedi Syndrome. The problem with Jedi is that it's a perfectly servicable film that's a follow up to an amazingly awsome film. If it had come first, I suspect that it would have been better recieved.

Same thing here. If Season 5 was a season of Voyager or Enterprise, we would be jumping off the walls with joy. But following up the amazing season 4, it simply pales in comparison.
Or could it have something to do with the fact that there was a chance that season 4 would be the end of the show, so writtng went toward that direction until it was picked up by another network. Do check me but I beleive that is how it went.
Old 04-07-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Not to give too much away, but the viewer will finally get to meet Rebo and Zooty in season five.

And wait until you see the three people playing them...
Old 04-07-04, 03:14 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I'm looking forward to this, but probably won't get it until the end of the month.
Old 04-07-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bando, baby! What happened? I figured you for one of the first.

Three people?

Spoiler:
That's bulls**t.
Old 04-08-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
Bando, baby! What happened? I figured you for one of the first.

Three people?

Spoiler:
That's bulls**t.
Spoiler:
Harlan Ellison was the voice of Zooty.
Old 04-08-04, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bandoman
I'm looking forward to this, but probably won't get it until the end of the month.
Old 04-08-04, 08:18 AM

I'm looking forward to the S5 DVDs, myself. I didn't have cable when the originally aired, and only found out that the show was still on the air when I visited a friend's house and saw someone watching a B5 episode that I hadn't seen yet. I had them tape all the ones they could for me, so I ended up catching the last 7 or so episodes of the season, which were all quite good.
Old 04-08-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got the first 3 discs of season 4 from Netflix, so I cannot comment on season 5, yet. However, it may interest some here that you can purchase the script for Neil Gaiman's for the 5th season episode entitled "Day Of The Dead" at www.neilgaiman.net. I believe that this book is out of print, but they're selling it for only five dollars. (Unfortunately, shipping is six dollars.) Signed copies are available at no additional charge, while supplies last.

Here's the description:

Gaiman, Neil - Day of the Dead: Babylon 5 Script - Trade Paperback (DreamHaven Books 1998) An annotated edition of the script for the Babylon 5 episode Neil wrote. Includes scenes not included in the televised version, plus Neil's comments on the show and his experiences on the set. Full color wrap-around cover by artist John Berkey. Introduction by J. Michael Straczynski. Published at $12.95, now sale priced.

I just placed my order.

jim
Old 04-08-04, 03:42 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Relax, it's not that I don't want to rush out and get it on the 13th, it's just that my parents already told me they're getting it for me for my birthday, and they're visiting me at the end of the month, which is when they're bringing my gift.

I have Buffy/Angel to watch in the meantime.
Old 04-08-04, 05:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i'm on the border of getting Season 5, weren't there supposed to be extras on it like other spinoffs, etc?
Old 04-08-04, 05:53 PM

btw, I thought the s4 season finale was boring and was probably better not made at all
Old 04-08-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bandoman
Relax...
But you are bringing the beer, right?
Old 04-09-04, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by IC_Freeze
btw, I thought the s4 season finale was boring and was probably better not made at all
Considering the circumstances and time-constraints surrounding that particular episode, I can't complain about the result.

Besides, it was fun to see the future of B5.
Old 04-10-04, 08:37 PM

season 5 supposedly $59 ,

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=301292

oh if you read through the thread, a basher of B5 admits to liking it after he saw an episode lol
Old 04-11-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got mine Saturday and started into the first two episdoes of season 5. Only bad part of the disks if it's your first time through it shows a minor spoiler.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.